Fentanyl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
fentanyl deaths rising, but "experts say no one is paying close enough attention." fentanyl is 50-100x more potent than morphine, and u add oxycodone to the mix. its amazing how ppl on here are defending these deadly combo.

Fentanyl deaths rising in Central Texas, going untracked

Members don't see this ad.

I think everyone here recognizes the potential danger of fentanyl. It's figuring out who will abuse it that's difficult. Most people who die from it get it illegally, so even if it becomes CI people will still get it somewhere.

May I ask what is it that you would like to see happen with opiod scripts? Just curious.....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone here recognizes the potential danger of fentanyl. It's figuring out who will abuse it that's difficult. Most people who die from it get it illegally, so even if it becomes CI people will still get it somewhere.

May I ask what is it that you would like to see happen with opiod scripts? Just curious.....

From other posts it seems pretty clear that he believes the only legitimate use is in hospice.

Reactions: 3 users
yes, illicit heroin tainted with fentanyl and God only knows what other chemicals is a dangerous combination. Addicts choose to take a risk with not knowing what they are getting

=\= Rx scheduled fentanyl + PRN opiate though

Reactions: 2 users
fentanyl deaths rising, but "experts say no one is paying close enough attention." fentanyl is 50-100x more potent than morphine, and u add oxycodone to the mix. its amazing how ppl on here are defending these deadly combo.

Fentanyl deaths rising in Central Texas, going untracked

Sosoo, you are correct that fentanyl and oxycodone are a dangerous combination.

It should also be clarified that the people here defending fentanyl and oxycodone combinations are defending transdermal, long-acting fentanyl patches. In rare, cancer-related pain circumstances, perhaps fentanyl lozenges. Not, as in the article you posted, immediate release fentanyl (ie the fentanyl vial that is pictured) or black market powder fentanyl. There is no mention of transdermal fentanyl in the article, because while there are also concerns related to it, it has appropriate outpatient use.

If you have concerns related to the combination of fentanyl patches and immediate release oxycodone for breakthrough pain, I suggest you search for "pain management guidelines".
The NCCN Guidelines, as I excerpt below, even allow use of fentanyl lozenges.

Here is an excerpt from the NCCN guidelines, a copy of which can be found at this link : williams.medicine.wisc.edu/pain.pdf

PRINCIPLES OF MAINTENANCE OPIOID THERAPY
- For continuous pain, it is appropriate to give pain medication on a regular schedule with supplement doses for breakthrough pain.
- Add extended-release or long-aacting formulation to provide background analgesia for control of chronic persistent pain controlled on a stable doses of short-acting opioids.
- Breakthrough pain (pain that fails to be controlled or "breaks through" a regimen of regularly scheduled opioid) may require additional doses of opioid for pain not relieved by regular schedule of long-acting opioid.
- Consider rapidly actings transmucosal fentanyl (ie lozenge) in opioid-tolerant patients for brief episodes of incident pain not attributed to inadequate dosing of around-the-clock opioid.

In this age, most of our actions should be in accordance to guidelines. As in, it would be unprofessional and subjective of most practicing healthcare professionals to not practice pain management in accordance to established guidelines, handed down through consensus by multiple experts in their routine job.

UpToDate is my reference of choice, but most reputable guideline organizations have their material available on their own website.

Reactions: 2 users
Sosooooooo, shouldn't you be studying your P1 classes or something? Trust me, once you actually get through pharmacy school, this will all make much more sense to you.

Reactions: 4 users
Some of our chronic pain patients frighten me with the whopping doses of oxycodone and fentanyl they're on.

What scares me is that they drive themselves around

Reactions: 1 users
yes, illicit heroin tainted with fentanyl and God only knows what other chemicals is a dangerous combination. Addicts choose to take a risk with not knowing what they are getting

=\= Rx scheduled fentanyl + PRN opiate though

All most all the fent the dealer are getting is imported from China hence "china white". The dealer mix it in with a controlled 1, heroin. Not sure what this has to do with pharmacy. I don't think much of the fent in the US is being rerouted into the streets. Sure many are addicted to oxy, hydro but most of the fent deaths are not from US fent?

I don't think anyone on here is defending using fent and opiates together for recreational purposes...

All most all the fent the dealer are getting is imported from China hence "china white". The dealer mix it in with a controlled 1, heroin. Not sure what this has to do with pharmacy. I don't think much of the fent in the US is being rerouted into the streets. Sure many are addicted to oxy, hydro but most of the fent deaths are not from US fent?
I don't think anyone on here is defending using fent and opiates together for recreational purposes...

Sosoo has a history of being hilariously wrong about literally everything they've ever said, and none of the post they make should be considered valid.

What RxVampire meant by =\= is that street fent does not equal Rx fent

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
if u believe drug abusers one and all take it to the streets and not abuse prescription drugs, then that lalaland where you're from is quite wonderful. just because statistics are not yet available doesn't mean its not happening. its all over the news.

also why are we still discussing this? Express scripts and cvs are already imposing restrictions on opioid dispensing.. u dont have to agree or disagree. its no longer in your hand.

Most of these fentanyl deaths aren't because of pharmacists dispensing ****ing patches to pain patients. Dealers are cutting heroin with a far more potent form of the drug leading to overdoses. They are importing it from other countries.