Ferris State University Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shrav

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All....

Anybody applying to Ferris State Univ in Michigan this year? Hoping to meet a few hopefuls out here......

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

i am in a class with around 5 or 6 applying there :) u dont have to worry about me though

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to ferris state....dats like my back up school...

i applied to ferris state....dats like my back up school...

Its so weird...I did speak to the admission people and they said I cannot apply just because I do not have 3/4th of my chem done up. I too chem 1 (A)...did the CLEP for chem 2...have an A in organic 1 and will take chem 2 and organic 2 next sem and be complete....they still said no.....thats so not fair...oh well...next school for me...so im out :(:(:mad:

i applied, they don't need essay or references or anything like that, and no fee. so I just did.:cool:

i applied, they don't need essay or references or anything like that, and no fee. so I just did.:cool:

Well there is one essay "
Explain why you have decided to apply to this particular college of pharmacy:"
I don't how many words will fit in the little box on the online form? Did you type a lots in there.

I will apply too. Mainly because they accept the January PCAT. I won't let the feeling of uncertainty of oct pact make me give up my hope for next year admission. No recommendation. No interview.

It seem easy to apply but the average GPA of accepted student is 3.69:eek:
My math-science gpa is probably around 3.5-3.6. I hope if I can do well on Jan PCAT..This might make up for it..

Ya Ferris State's Gpa of accepted students is pretty high (I think last year's class was around a 3.7)...you don't even need LORs, and they don't even look at any other classes except your prereqs. The campus is pretty nice and clean, but it's in the middle of nowhere with literally nothing around it. The range for accepted student's PCAT scores last year was from 20%tile up to 95%tile. let me tell you how these days its all about that "CONNECTION" you have. :).

Admission to Ferris is solely based on GPA. Doesn't matter whether you went to a CC or an Ivy, they want someone with a high GPA. Although i guess they have a little essay now, but I'm guessing their admission is still heavily GPA based. Many people in my class at UM did not get in to Ferris because their GPAs weren't high enough even though they had research experience and great overall life experiences.

Admission to Ferris is solely based on GPA.

It is too late to boost my pre-req GPA up now for next year admission. No way I can boost my GPA up to 3.7. Will PCAT make up for it? It seem to me that they put more emphasis on GPA rather than PCAT though..

It is too late to boost my pre-req GPA up now for next year admission. No way I can boost my GPA up to 3.7. Will PCAT make up for it? It seem to me that they put more emphasis on GPA rather than PCAT though..

Remember that the average is 3.7 so they do take some that are lower. It helps if you are an instate student and also it can't hurt you if you do really well on the PCAT.

Remember that the average is 3.7 so they do take some that are lower. It helps if you are an instate student and also it can't hurt you if you do really well on the PCAT.

Unfortunately, I am not the instate residence. But I remembered vaguely that somewhere on the website (FAQ) indicates that the residency doesn't matter much. But I will apply anyway because I will probably take Jan PCAT.

I am preparing to submit my application soon. How much weigh do you think they put on the online essay? Explain why you have decided to apply to this particular college of pharmacy:.. Honestly, I don't know what to write. They didn't set the word limit either. I don't know much about the school and the areas. Any famous tourism spot there? Should I be so serious about he essay? I think they still look mainly on GPA and PCAT.

So I think I might have a chance for this school IF I can spike up my PCAT in Jan.. But I am not Michigan-resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from them at all? I submitted the last of my ap materials back in September and have yet to hear anything about it. All I got was a letter informing me that one of their adcoms got their laptop stolen in Chicago with all my info on it. Oh the joy :smuggrin:

i heard nothing yet.
i assume no school will do anything before the holiday.
there will be a few quiet weeks.:cool:

will ferris have interviews???

I haven't heard of them since Oct.

I thought there was some regulation that compelled all pharmacy schools to interview candidates.

Yeah I think it is not only compelling to interview, but required for them to maintain accredidation through ACPE.

Yeah I think it is not only compelling to interview, but required for them to maintain accredidation through ACPE.

Albany and Butler doesn't have interview either (I could be wrong).. I think..They are mainly GPA/PCAT based. It's not only Ferris.

Albany and Butler doesn't have interview either (I could be wrong).. I think..They are mainly GPA/PCAT based. It's not only Ferris.

Albany has interview this year I think.

Has anyone heard anything from them at all? I submitted the last of my ap materials back in September and have yet to hear anything about it. All I got was a letter informing me that one of their adcoms got their laptop stolen in Chicago with all my info on it. Oh the joy :smuggrin:

Same with me!

forgot to do that essay!!!..ughhh

lol i skipped it to but they told me that the essay isn't considered... its just there =)

Thanks for sharing that. That is kind of a relief.

hmm... interesting...

not a thing!

nope..you won't hear from them till mid to late march

Talked to someone who deals with admissions and I was told that there were about 750 applicants this year and that they hope to send out admission letters late march to early april. So I guess that would be the last week of march to the first week of april. I can't play this waiting game any longer!!

I applied to Ferris for Fall 08 as well. I'm anxiously awaiting the letter.

hey, what state are you from? Care to share your stats?

Sure.
pre-pharm GPA calculated using Ferris' specifications: 3.93. Overall it's 3.8.
PCAT: 97 (First time, yay.)
Also, I'll have a b.s. in microbio and molecular genetics from Michigan State this semester, but that doesn't really matter.
I'm from the capital area of Michigan.
:)

pre-pharm GPA calculated using Ferris' specifications
:)

What is their specifications? 2 Biology+ 2 Gen Chem + 2 Org Chem + Cal & Statistics. Any social science/English/humanities included in the GPA??
I wonder what's my pre-req GPA for them?

Yeah, they use 9 credits of humanities/cultural enrichment, also six for english, although I had that waived so it's not included in mine, bio one and two plus labs, chem one and two plus labs, orgo one and two plus labs, intro micro, micro lab, calc 1 and stats. I can't look at the complete list right now b/c my computer is kind of screwed up, but I'm sure you can find it and check. They also require an econ class and a public speaking or speech class, which I'll be taking over the summer.

Yeah, they use 9 credits of humanities/cultural enrichment.

How about if you have so many humanities/cultural/enrichment courses? Which grade will they use for calculation, the better one or the worse one?

How about if you have so many humanities/cultural/enrichment courses? Which grade will they use for calculation, the better one or the worse one?

They will probably go with the highest grade. They look for a course in Ferris' 100 level courses, then another in the 200 level. However, they mainly worry about your science and math GPAs and your highest PCAT score.
By the way, I am from Toronto, Canada but I have attended Ferris State for almost two years now.

By the way, I am from Toronto, Canada but I have attended Ferris State for almost two years now.
Nice GPA 4.0!! Hope you get in! From what I read, it seems like they weigh more on GPA. I calculated my pre-req science only--it's 3.77. My PCAT 87.
According to their P1 profile, their avg PCAT is 86 and avg GPA 3.74. My stat is sub-average, probably waitlisted or rejected.. we'll see..

Wouldn't it be nice if acceptance letters came before St. Patrick's Day, so we could have another reason to celebrate?

I will be withdrawing my application. I got accepted into one of my top 2 schools; interviewing with the other one this coming week. Good luck to all of you.. I hope this helps someone out :)

Awww, I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to meeting a Texan. :(

Awww, I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to meeting a Texan. :(

haha awww.. well maybe i'll come visit the school one day in a cowboy hat and a big ol' belt buckle with a sign that says "I'M HERE BLEEDS IN BLUE"

Has anyone heard anything yet? I'm really anxious.

I haven't heard from them either, and it's making me really anxious! I've already heard back from the other two schools I applied to, and I'm just waiting on them. Hopefully they'll get their letters out soon!

Notices/Notes

for 2008 Incoming Class

• [*]March 18, 2008: The total number of applicants this year is750. Letters of admission should be sent out in mid April after all files have been reviewed and the admissions formula has been finalized by the Admissions Committee. Phone/email inquiries asking us how far along we are only slows the entire evaluation process down. Please be patient with us.
http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/colleges/pharmacy/link_desc.cfm?LinkID=47

I dont think i can wait till mid april:scared:

Crap!!!!! I'm already sick of waiting to find out where I am going to be this Fall, this is terrible!

Crap!!!!! I'm already sick of waiting to find out where I am going to be this Fall, this is terrible!

I am sure you will get in with your GPA and PCAT score.

I just don't have any motivation on doing well for my courses this semester. Therefore, it would have been really nice to have received that admissions letter by now so that I can just get my B's this semester and not worry about having to get A's. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...can't wait till Mid April..another 3 weeks or so?