Ferris State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RadioactiveDino, hi and thanks! I'll have to start my hunt as well.. it's hard because I currently live far away and do not have time to take tours. I would def appreciate it if you kept me updated! I do want to live very close to the pharm. buildings on campus though, so it's not a far driving in the morning. Keep me posted!

I'm open to other ideas from anyone else as well! :)

Members don't see this ad.

RadioactiveDino, hi and thanks! I'll have to start my hunt as well.. it's hard because I currently live far away and do not have time to take tours. I would def appreciate it if you kept me updated! I do want to live very close to the pharm. buildings on campus though, so it's not a far driving in the morning. Keep me posted!

I'm open to other ideas from anyone else as well! :)

Just to add to the housing hope. I have done some research and found University Parke Suites to be very nice and cheap. Along with that, there are Tioga Park Riverfront Apartments, and Venlo place apartments. These are all within a few miles of the campus and are pretty good deals.

I'm thinking about touring Venlo/Tioga, and Hillcrest when I visit campus, as well as some houses. The P4's I talked to during my interview recommended Venlo, and discouraged UPS. The UPS website makes them look rather nice, but I'm really not interested in renting a single room split with four others. This is the map I've plotted so far in my apartment hunt (below). I need to be moved in prior to Summer semester, so I'm really feeling the crunch.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=....492344&spn=0.10039,0.154324&t=h&z=13&vpsrc=6

Members don't see this ad :)
oh! If you check out the map, you can see that all of the listed housing locations are within about 3miles (10mins) of the pharmacy building. :)

How cheap are the apartment? Also, is dorm a better choice since you dont even have to drive?

good idea with the map!

I heard about the townhouses from a coworker who works at the pharmacy where I do and currently goes to Ferris for pharmacy school. We are planning on living together, hopefully. Which will be nice since she will be a P2 and I know she is serious about school and will know what it's like to need to study. She said that the the townhouses are approximately a 7 min walk from the pharmacy building. I was worried about noise too with it being a place where people can live with families and children--but she told me it's extremely quiet and i don't have to worry about it being loud. It's 514 per person per month which I think is fairly cheap after living in East Lansing where apartments can be 100-200 more than that per month and really far from campus.

I am not sure how to put it on that map but the address for the townhouses are on Finch Ct, Big Rapids MI....you can see how close they are!

Hi Skean, I've been looking into the housing situation in Big Rapids a lot lately, and am planning to tour a few of the apartment complexes soon. I've seen quite a few mixed reviews on this site:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/MI-Big-Rapids.html

I used it as a starting point to narrow down my choices. Part of the problem I am seeing is that a large portion of the town is undergrad students, and there is a lot of noise/partying. Many of the complexes are rented by the room with a shared living area. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some better information after I visit Big Rapids again.

good idea with the map!

I heard about the townhouses from a coworker who works at the pharmacy where I do and currently goes to Ferris for pharmacy school. We are planning on living together, hopefully. Which will be nice since she will be a P2 and I know she is serious about school and will know what it's like to need to study. She said that the the townhouses are approximately a 7 min walk from the pharmacy building. I was worried about noise too with it being a place where people can live with families and children--but she told me it's extremely quiet and i don't have to worry about it being loud. It's 514 per person per month which I think is fairly cheap after living in East Lansing where apartments can be 100-200 more than that per month and really far from campus.

I am not sure how to put it on that map but the address for the townhouses are on Finch Ct, Big Rapids MI....you can see how close they are!

hm, 514 per person in a single room or sharing the room? is it a 2 bedroom apartment?

in a single room.

ferris only allows roommates of the same sex to room together in an apartment, and even then their policy is one person per bedroom.

if you do a 2 bedroom townhouse, each person gets their own bedroom which are upstairs, have to share the bathroom, living room area (on the first floor with the kitchen) and the laundry area (in the basement). so you share all the living space with one another just get your own bedroom.

i believe for the 3 bedroom townhouses they may be a little cheaper. not quite sure.

also like i said earlier, for both 2 and 3 bedroom townhouses cable, internet, heat, water, has dishwasher, of course a fridge (microwave is not included), pretty much everything is included at the 514 rate....except there is no air conditioning-which was no big deal for me since i'm not living there over the summers.

here is the floor plan for the 2 bedroom:

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/studentlife/reslife/halls/apartments/docs/Typ. 2 Bed Townhouse.pdf

floor plan for the 3 bedroom:

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/studentlife/reslife/halls/apartments/docs/Typ. 3 Bed Townhouse.pdf

hm, 514 per person in a single room or sharing the room? is it a 2 bedroom apartment?

in a single room.

ferris only allows roommates of the same sex to room together in an apartment, and even then their policy is one person per bedroom.

if you do a 2 bedroom townhouse, each person gets their own bedroom which are upstairs, have to share the bathroom, living room area (on the first floor with the kitchen) and the laundry area (in the basement). so you share all the living space with one another just get your own bedroom.

i believe for the 3 bedroom townhouses they may be a little cheaper. not quite sure.

also like i said earlier, for both 2 and 3 bedroom townhouses cable, internet, heat, water, has dishwasher, of course a fridge (microwave is not included), pretty much everything is included at the 514 rate....except there is no air conditioning-which was no big deal for me since i'm not living there over the summers.

o lol. didnt know ferris Univ has this same sex roommate policy. so the apartments are owned by ferris? :oops: or are you talking about dorms? cuz i like dorms.

I would say dorm is not the better choice, at least not for me. You don't have a kitchen or anything with a dorm. Dorms are tiny and I lived in them for undergrad. I will also still want my car there as I will be going home fairly often and working as well. With apartments we can park right outside where we live.

How cheap are the apartment? Also, is dorm a better choice since you dont even have to drive?

i'm talking about the townhouses. and yes ferris owns them, it's university housing.

Ferris has both apartments and townhouses. I didnt look into the apartments much since my coworker I met at my work already lived in the townhouse and loved it there. From what I did look up I saw that the university apartments you had to have i think like 4 roommates and I didn't want to start out with that many roommates my first year and the chance of them being undergraduates and noisy (also i believe they were farther away from the pharmacy building).

yeah i am not too sure about the same sex policy. I dont understand why they have it- even MSU doesn't have that. I wanted to live with my boyfriend but that policy sort of ruined it.

o lol. didnt know ferris Univ has this same sex roommate policy. so the apartments are owned by ferris? :oops: or are you talking about dorms? cuz i like dorms.

I added Finch Ct, Big Rapids MI to the map in pink. Pink is official Ferris housing. Green is what I was interested in from realtors, blue is all apartment complexes. When possible I added websites, or phone numbers to the map.

I do like how close the Ferris townhouses are, but from what I've seen I can get cheaper housing elsewhere.

I'm thinking about touring Venlo/Tioga, and Hillcrest when I visit campus, as well as some houses. The P4's I talked to during my interview recommended Venlo, and discouraged UPS. The UPS website makes them look rather nice, but I'm really not interested in renting a single room split with four others. This is the map I've plotted so far in my apartment hunt (below). I need to be moved in prior to Summer semester, so I'm really feeling the crunch.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=....492344&spn=0.10039,0.154324&t=h&z=13&vpsrc=6

Thank you for the information. I have heard good things about UPS but from undergrad students. Is there a reason people are discouraged to live there?

Members don't see this ad :)
The P4's I talked with had mostly complained about noise levels. From what I have been reading that seems to be the biggest issue all around town. That they are a lot of undergrads who spend their time partying/drinking. I'm sure it varies from year to year, and depending on what building you are in, and your direct neighbors. I think that is part of why I'm now learning towards renting a house with some friends. I wish I knew some people who lived up there who could give me reliable information on where to(not to) live.

The P4's I talked with had mostly complained about noise levels. From what I have been reading that seems to be the biggest issue all around town. That they are a lot of undergrads who spend their time partying/drinking. I'm sure it varies from year to year, and depending on what building you are in, and your direct neighbors. I think that is part of why I'm now learning towards renting a house with some friends. I wish I knew some people who lived up there who could give me reliable information on where to(not to) live.

I was afraid of that. I appreciate all of the information. The map is great as well.

Do you know if the dorms are all noisy too. Well, if there is a specific dorm only to pharmacy students? I could use some silence...

For those keeping track and still on the hunt, you can eliminate Village Green Apt and Country Place Apt as both are low income housing for non-students.

I don't have any information about the dorms or university townhouses, though I did read somewhere that there is one designated as quiet.

For those keeping track and still on the hunt, you can eliminate Village Green Apt and Country Place Apt as both are low income housing for non-students.

I don't have any information about the dorms or university townhouses, though I did read somewhere that there is one designated as quiet.

thx for the info, i am from out of state and cannot travel as its very costly per roundtrip

For those of you attending next fall, where are you guys all from?

I'm from East Lansing and I go to MSU

:)Hi! Sorry it took so long to reply.. I'm going to read up and still have not had much time to do the housing research/roommate search haha. When is the latest us incoming students should find housing by? Do places fill up fast?

Also, I'm from Michigan, 45min from Ann Arbor, 45min from Toledo.

It sounds like you live near me Skean. I'm going up there this week to take a look around around. From the calls I've made it sounds like a lot of the housing doesn't open up until the end of Winter semester (May 15th-30th). As many of the undergrads leave more apartments will open up. I'm not sure how quickly places fill up, but I know at least one complex I phone already had a waiting list for the fall. I assume the program begins at the end of August (I'm not sure of the exact date, if anyone knows it), so it would probably be a good idea to secure housing by August. If you are living on campus then you'll have less legwork to do, but there is a wide variety of off campus hosing depending on what you are looking for. For example, most places on campus don't allow pets or have rental rates by occupant or room with a shared living quarters.

It is 3/24. I applied like 6 months ago. I haven't heard anything from them yet. No interview request, but also no denial or anything. Anyone in the same boat?

Sounds good.. I might make some calls, but I guess I'll have to wait because I need to figure out roommate stuff too! Any idea when we will hear from financial aid and fall information (when we start, etc)? Thanks!!

I'm not sure about fin aid, but it looks like we start on Aug. 27th. I think that there is some form of orientation prior to that as well. I was up at BR this past thur/fri and looked at a half dozen or so places. Many of them said that housing fills up quick, and that students start putting deposits down as early as Jan. I felt like they were just trying to push us into making a snap decision, but at least 2 of the housing sites already had waiting lists (or so they said). So I guess trying to figure it out sooner would be much safer than waiting and getting stuck with what is left. I did get some advice from a store clerk who knew we weren't from the area. He said not to bother with chapman housing, harry's rentals, or silvernail realty because both of them work hard to rip students off, and don't keep up there properties. We did look at one of Harry's sites and it was a disaster.

Let me know if you find anything out about the aid situation. You can always send Tara Lee a message or give her a call if you have questions. She helped me out.

Last edited:
I would definitely send them an email and ask them if they've received your application just to see what's going on.

It is 3/24. I applied like 6 months ago. I haven't heard anything from them yet. No interview request, but also no denial or anything. Anyone in the same boat?

I lived in North Bond Hall this year. It is not exclusively a pharmacy dorm, but it is for students twenty and up. They are single rooms which is really nice, you share the bathroom with your suitemate. I thought that it was pretty quiet, and it is literally right across the street from the College of Pharmacy! Ask Housing about the junior/senior incentive, they take off about $1,000 a semester to make it the same price as a regular dorm (having a roommate). Hope this helps!

I lived in North Bond Hall this year. It is not exclusively a pharmacy dorm, but it is for students twenty and up. They are single rooms which is really nice, you share the bathroom with your suitemate. I thought that it was pretty quiet, and it is literally right across the street from the College of Pharmacy! Ask Housing about the junior/senior incentive, they take off about $1,000 a semester to make it the same price as a regular dorm (having a roommate). Hope this helps!

may i ask how much you pay for this "dorm" per semester?

Has anyone else received their Ferris Pharmacy packet yet? Mine came in the mail today. :) It has information on all the things we need to complete before the start of the program.

Has anyone else received their Ferris Pharmacy packet yet? Mine came in the mail today. :) It has information on all the things we need to complete before the start of the program.

mine came in too. so many little details, haha

This year I paid $3,307 per semester. However, next year I will get the junior/senior incentive and it will be $2,339.

I'm from MSU too and will be going to Ferris this fall!

Hey guys, I am from MSU and giving up my spot because i got into wayne state a few weeks ago! Hopefully someone who wants it gets it.

Did you guys have really high G.P.A's? Will a 3.0 gpa in undergrad suffice? What is needed to have a good chance to be accepted to FSU pharmacy school? What do they look for in an interview?

Did you guys have really high G.P.A's? Will a 3.0 gpa in undergrad suffice? What is needed to have a good chance to be accepted to FSU pharmacy school? What do they look for in an interview?

having some experience in pharmacy will probably help the interview a little bit. I know a lot of people who had no pharmacy experience. I dunno their gpa requirement. but there is a demographic of what 2015 class looks like on the ferris website.

lol, didn't expect to see this thread, I saw a 2017 thread.

im applying with a 3.55 gpa and 50 comp in pcat 3 years of working at a pharmacy

What kind of stats are good for Ferris? Gpa, pcat, Extra curriculars etc..

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/colleges/pharmacy/admissions/docs/Class_Profile_2011.pdf

simple breakdown of class of 2015. that should say a lot.

if you are low on gpa, you should have extracurricular like leadership in club/working in pharmacy to help back up your desire for pharmacy.

Its generic like every school pretty much. Low gpa = need something to compensate.

High gpa with extracurricular = pretty much acceptance unless you look dumb in the interview or you just do so bad in it.

Whats up with ferris? anyone hear anything? its been a month and i havent heard one thing

lol don't expect to hear anything till January because that is when their interview process begins

lol don't expect to hear anything till January because that is when their interview process begins

Should you not expect to hear any interview offers, and/or acceptance offers?

And yes, I know this sounds like a stupid question:confused:

It's not a stupid question at all :) Ferris is crazy and takes a really long time to notify people about interviews and I believe we will be contacted in late Dec. early Jan. about invitations to interview

I received an invitation to interview for Dec. 7th. I'm not sure if I want to interview or not. I'm not familiar with the area or school's reputation. I do not want to waste the school's time or my time if I'm having doubts. Can anyone provide insight into the area and the school?

I also received an interview invited for Dec 7th, but I declined it.

I thought my interview didn't go as well as I had hoped. However, admission decisions went out today, and I got in! So excited :)