Fever and rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon899

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a fever ranging between 99.6 -100.8 , came on a few hours ago. I’m On my surgery rotation and have a shift tomorrow. Should I let someone know? I don’t really feel too bad other than being fatigued but hell it could be the rotation. If it weren’t for covid I’d honestly just suck it up. Help.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends, is your administration the type that would make you repeat the rotation for significant time off?

• Dislike
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See if you have a fever in the AM. If you do, text your supervising resident and say “I have a tmax if xx.x. I have no symptoms. What should I do?”

Don’t text them before they’d wake up

See if you have a fever in the AM. If you do, text your supervising resident and say “I have a tmax if xx.x. I have no symptoms. What should I do?”

Don’t text them before they’d wake up
So simple, great idea
Yes. Report. It’s the right thing to do.

There’s a line of nurses that run through all the covid symptoms as soon as anyone walks in the front doors. Just feels wrong to straight up lie (without at least telling someone superior to me).

Thanks y’all

Dude, COVID is surging right now. You have a fever, you get tested before returning for work. As your resident or attending, I would more pissed that you would think about coming to work with a fever than not being there. Trust me, someone else can retract for the day while you're getting tested.

Reactions: 19 users
FYI: 100.4 and above is a fever.
That said, you had one so do not go into the hospital with one...

Reactions: 3 users
If I found out one of my students knowingly showed up with a fever they'd be in a world of ****. Absolutely unacceptable
I remember my school telling us if that happened we’d be written up for professionalism.

Immediately report this to your coordinator/attending. They will guide you in how this should be approached, you should not be even trying to enter the hospital or clinic without clearance even if you have no fever tomorrow morning. C'mon, we've all had the flu or cold.. you run hot or cold. Just like my COVID patients, normal temp one check then burning up the next. Until COVID ruled out, you represent a danger to your Attending, the staff and the patients.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You need to follow your school's policy, which is going to be to report that you have a fever and follow the protocol they give you. You also need to let your team know via the usual channels not to expect you until you are cleared.

Reactions: 1 user
At my hospital, students can get expedited testing, same as employees through the ED and find out within 6-8 hours. Still may have to quarantine based on your hospitals policy, but would definately reach out to your clerkship director. I am sure this is not the first time that this has happened.

If you were to show up to a rotation knowingly having had a fever the night before, I would consider this a major professionalism violation and a significant disregard for your colleagues and patients safety.

Reactions: 4 users
My parents tested positive for Covid and their symptoms were only a fever and fatigue...

Before the pandemic, absolutely I would have shown up if it were me. In today's climate, we would fail you if you showed up and potentially exposed all our team and all the patients we see in a day to COVID. And every time our team has a known exposure, each of us has to take time off to go get a COVID test, which is disruptive to our service and covering ORs. While I love having med students on service, there is no rotation in which med students are essential to the function of the team. Stay home, get your test, come back when it's negative. Don't dick the team.

Reactions: 5 users
Get tested for COVID and don't come to work if you have a fever.

Imagine how bad you'd feel if you gave some inpatient COVID, and the patient subsequently died. Imagine if you were the reason the entire team had to quarantine. I'm gonna guess that your eval would be pretty bad. I'd probably recommend a fail, though where I was a resident and where I am now a fellow... nobody fails. Haha.

Don’t go to the hospital if you have a fever. Tell your team what’s going on and get the required testing. I would contact the appropriate people, whether that is student health or occupational health or whatever, about what you should do next.

Honestly, the fact that you were considering coming in even though you’ve recently had a fever is pretty concerning. You being around to be serve as retractor bitch is not even close to worth the risk of giving somebody COVID-19.

Don’t go to the hospital if you have a fever. Tell your team what’s going on and get the required testing. I would contact the appropriate people, whether that is student health or occupational health or whatever, about what you should do next.

Honestly, the fact that you were considering coming in even though you’ve recently had a fever is pretty concerning. You being around to be serve as retractor bitch is not even close to worth the risk of giving somebody COVID-19.
Lol assumption much? Get out of here you literally do not know me. But trust me... I don’t want to be there. I have zero interest in surgery. The thing is, I have heard of countless staff members at this hospital doing exactly what i asked. I felt it was wrong but as someone at the bottom of the totem pole Or as you say the retractor bitch, I’d rather not be reprimanded because of it.

but if we’re being honest your lack of self awareness and realizing you don’t know the entire story off of two sentence is alarming.

• Okay...
Lol assumption much? Get out of here you literally do not know me. But trust me... I don’t want to be there. I have zero interest in surgery. The thing is, I have heard of countless staff members at this hospital doing exactly what i asked. I felt it was wrong but as someone at the bottom of the totem pole Or as you say the retractor bitch, I’d rather not be reprimanded because of it.

but if we’re being honest your lack of self awareness and realizing you don’t know the entire story off of two sentence is alarming.
Jeez, so sensitive. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings.

P.S. The staff at your hospital sound like selfish idiots.

• Love