• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

few more questions

anudoc

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
  1. Academic Administration
    1) The clearance of several substances wass measured at a constant GFR and constant urine flow rate, but at increasing plasma concentrations of substance. Under these conditions, clearance will increase at high plasma concentration for which of following substances?
    a creatinine
    b mannitol
    c penicillin
    d phosphate
    e urea

2)Primary function of lysosomes in steroid producing cells?
    a digest cellular debris
    b hydrolyse spent cellular organelles
    c remove steroid precursors
    d cleave the ester from cholestrol ester to produce free cholestrol

3)Part of the oral cavity which is directly attached to periosteum?

4)What bacteria are found in sub gingival calculus?

5) In which form fluoride is absorbed in intestine?

6) What is the site of RNA synthesis?

7) Patient with Hepatitis B would show?
    a HBsAg
    b HBsAg antibodies

8) Retro virus causes what in infant?

9)High intensity disinfectant ? Kill Hep B, TB ,all spores

10) What is the cause of oral mucosa cyanosis?

simkarl

10+ Year Member
    Sep 25, 2007
    1. Dentist
      1) The clearance of several substances wass measured at a constant GFR and constant urine flow rate, but at increasing plasma concentrations of substance. Under these conditions, clearance will increase at high plasma concentration for which of following substances?
      a creatinine
      b mannitol
      c penicillin
      d phosphate -not sure
      e urea .

2)Primary function of lysosomes in steroid producing cells?
      a digest cellular debris
      b hydrolyse spent cellular organelles
      c remove steroid precursors
      d cleave the ester from cholestrol ester to produce free cholestrol

3)Part of the oral cavity which is directly attached to periosteum?
      I think attached gingiva

4)What bacteria are found in sub gingival calculus?

5) In which form fluoride is absorbed in intestine?

6) What is the site of RNA synthesis?
      nucleus.

7) Patient with Hepatitis B would show?
      a HBsAg
      b HBsAg antibodies
      depend on which stage first appears HBsAg during window anti- HBc when immunized anti-HBs

8) Retro virus causes what in infant?

9)High intensity disinfectant ? Kill Hep B, TB ,all spores
      what do you mean high intensity disinfectant?

10) What is the cause of oral mucosa cyanosis?

please correct me. thanks

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 23, 2005
      Shuffled off....
      1. Dental Student
        I believe 1 is creatinine. Aren't inulin and creatinine the two best substances for measuring GFR?

Also, I think cyanosis of any peripheral region is caused by vasoconstriction or reduced cardiac output. (I don't think the oral mucosa is any different from other peripheral epithelium in that regard.)

skabbaraju

Unbound Imagination
        10+ Year Member
        Army
        7+ Year Member
        Mar 30, 2007
        TX
        1. Dentist
          I believe 1 is creatinine. Aren't inulin and creatinine the two best substances for measuring GFR?

Also, I think cyanosis of any peripheral region is caused by vasoconstriction or reduced cardiac output. (I don't think the oral mucosa is any different from other peripheral epithelium in that regard.)
          Thats correct!

Anudoc, can u please post your questions in NBDE Part I ,version 1.0 thread, created by shuntyman. Thank you.

About the Ads

simkarl

10+ Year Member
          Sep 25, 2007
          1. Dentist

regarding question 1- you are right that creatinine and inuling are for measuring GFR but I understand they ask about substance that when increase concentration in plasma will increase clearence so freely filtered and high excreted in the same time ....inulin and creatinine freely filtered but no secretion or reabsorption happened..

please correct me ..

I'mFillingFine

Pulptastic
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jul 23, 2005
            Shuffled off....
            1. Dental Student
              regarding question 1- you are right that creatinine and inuling are for measuring GFR but I understand they ask about substance that when increase concentration in plasma will increase clearence so freely filtered and high excreted in the same time ....inulin and creatinine freely filtered but no excretion or reabsorption happened..

please correct me ..

I think it's somewhat of a trick question, making sure you know which substances are used to measure GFR. It's basically saying, "if there is more blood, what will there be more of?" instead of saying, "What's commonly filtered from the blood?" Since they don't mention anything that would relate to either secretion or reabsorption (which would mean it could NOT be creatinine or inulin), then we would know they were asking about another substance.

Hope that makes sense! Like if they asked something like, "If the kidneys were suddenly not able to reabsorb anything in the filtrate, what would rise?" then you'd look for an answer like glucose. I think they're just being tricky here.

Anyone else with input on this? We may be reading too much into it :)

impaction

10+ Year Member
              Mar 26, 2008
              1. Dental Student
                I think it's somewhat of a trick question, making sure you know which substances are used to measure GFR. It's basically saying, "if there is more blood, what will there be more of?" instead of saying, "What's commonly filtered from the blood?" Since they don't mention anything that would relate to either secretion or reabsorption (which would mean it could NOT be creatinine or inulin), then we would know they were asking about another substance.

Hope that makes sense! Like if they asked something like, "If the kidneys were suddenly not able to reabsorb anything in the filtrate, what would rise?" then you'd look for an answer like glucose. I think they're just being tricky here.

Anyone else with input on this? We may be reading too much into it :)

as inulin and creatinine are freely filtered,
                this means that the will be removed from the blood
                or whole of them will be removed from the blood
                it can either by secreation or filtration
                so by increasing directly their concentration in blood, their concentration in urine will increase proportionally

there is no compound whose excretion in urine is more than its concentration in blood
                because its not possible
                so none other compound fits into the category
                hence answer is creatinine

simkarl

10+ Year Member
                Sep 25, 2007
                1. Dentist
                  as inulin and creatinine are freely filtered,
                  this means that the will be removed from the blood
                  or whole of them will be removed from the blood
                  it can either by secreation or filtration
                  so by increasing directly their concentration in blood, their concentration in urine will increase proportionally

there is no compound whose excretion in urine is more than its concentration in blood
                  because its not possible
                  so none other compound fits into the category
                  hence answer is creatinine

if what you say is correct how can measure GFR by these substances..???
                  I know that now secreation for these substances..
                  thanks

impaction

10+ Year Member
                  Mar 26, 2008
                  1. Dental Student
                    now here comes the concept
                    if the substance is freely filtered, and it cannot be secreted or absorbed then it is used to calculate GFR
                    but if the substance is cleared from urine either by....
                    filtration alone
                    or secretion alone
                    or both
                    but there is no reabsorption, then it is used for measuring clearance
                    and moreover the substance that is freely filtered COMPLETELY out of blood & can neither be secreted nor absorbed can be used for both GFR & clearance
                    whereas the substance used exclusively for clearance may or may not be ideal to measure GFR

simkarl

10+ Year Member
                    Sep 25, 2007
                    1. Dentist
                      i will ask you a question that will help u understanding it.........
                      Q. pick the best option
                      a substance used to measure clearnace, is used to calculate what
                      1. GFR
                      2. renal plasma flow
                      this question is given in solved papers, & the answer given yhere is RPF

ok impaction thanks for explanation...

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.