Few Questions For Those Who Should Know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fantastik19

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!... I'm a PostBacc, and definitely interested in Osteop. Med.
The reason I am writing this post is b/c though I have been trying to do searches on the web I really havent found a clear cut answer on a few things: How does the "match" process work? Is it impossible (or near to it) to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE? What are the More Competitive, Not as Competitive, and Less Competitive Residencies?
I'm interested in Family Med, OB/GYN, and Anesth... it is my understanding from reading a number of posts that if one is attending a DO school it is harder to obtain More competitive residencies. Are the ones that I am interested in difficult to obtain in the New York area?

Now for a personal question: I've completed Bio 1 & 2 and Chem 1, A A and A- respectively... considering I stay on this path (not descending... but remaining in the 3.7-3.8 ball park... yet score relatively low 20-23 MCAT) have an excellent personal statement, disadvantaged background with EC's and personal statement to complement it, what would be my chances at PCOM or NYCOM or Nova? [I can only apply to a limited number of schools b/c i have a baby girl and I have to go somewhere that I have familial support. Sooo.. thats why only applying to three DO's]
P.S...I havent taken the MCAT yet, but I dont do well on standardized tests... so preparing for the worst but always hoping for the best!

Members don't see this ad.

No one but an adcom will be able to tell you the chances answer. just do your best and go from there.

matching is basically interviewing and getting a job, the job is the residency. as a do it may be harder to get into more competitive residencies (which are generally jobs with major perks, i.e. lots of many, little hours, etc., dermatology, plastics, and orthpaedics are generally competive) but it would be hard anyways and DOs have their own residencies that no MD can apply to. DOs can take the USMLE if they want but it isn't required, though may be recommended if you want an allopathic residency.

the most common noncompetive are family practice, internal med, and pediatrics. the most comp being plastics and derm, maybe ENT and general surgery is coming back.

Fantastik19 said:
Hi all!... I'm a PostBacc, and definitely interested in Osteop. Med.
The reason I am writing this post is b/c though I have been trying to do searches on the web I really havent found a clear cut answer on a few things: How does the "match" process work? Is it impossible (or near to it) to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE? What are the More Competitive, Not as Competitive, and Less Competitive Residencies?
I'm interested in Family Med, OB/GYN, and Anesth... it is my understanding from reading a number of posts that if one is attending a DO school it is harder to obtain More competitive residencies. Are the ones that I am interested in difficult to obtain in the New York area?

Now for a personal question: I've completed Bio 1 & 2 and Chem 1, A A and A- respectively... considering I stay on this path (not descending... but remaining in the 3.7-3.8 ball park... yet score relatively low 20-23 MCAT) have an excellent personal statement, disadvantaged background with EC's and personal statement to complement it, what would be my chances at PCOM or NYCOM or Nova? [I can only apply to a limited number of schools b/c i have a baby girl and I have to go somewhere that I have familial support. Sooo.. thats why only applying to three DO's]
P.S...I havent taken the MCAT yet, but I dont do well on standardized tests... so preparing for the worst but always hoping for the best!

In the match, you apply to whatever programs you want through a centralized app service. Some invite you for interviews, and you attend them. Then, in January, you and the programs fill out a rank list - you rank the programs you interviewed at in order of how much you would like to go to them, and the programs rank their applicants in order of how much they would like them to come to their program. A computer algorithm matches applicants with programs trying to give each their best possible outcomes. You find out in February where you matched. There is an AOA match for AOA (DO) programs, and an ACGME match for ACGME (MD) programs. DOs can do both, while MDs can only do the ACGME.

Many students take both the COMLEX and USMLE. Some do better on the USMLE, some do better on the COMLEX. Some ACGME residencies prefer USMLE, particularly the more competitive ones.

Derm, Plastic Surg, ENT, Ophtho, and Radiology are prob the most competitive. Then would be Anesthesiology, Emerg Med, Surgery. Least competitive are primary care (FP/IM/OBgyn/Peds).

You would have absolutely no problem getting an FP residency pretty much wherever you want (as far as location) - you just have to pass the boards and graduate from school. ObGyn may be a little harder to get exactly the location you would like, but it's not too hard to match. Anesthesiology, while very DO-friendly, is a quite competitive match. If you could match, you likely would not have your pick of places. NOTE: IF YOU'RE NOT A GOOD STANDARDIZED TEST-TAKER AS YOU SAY, YOU MAY NOT SCORE VERY HIGH ON THE BOARDS. A HIGH BOARD SCORE IS NECESSARY FOR COMPETITIVE SPECIALTIES LIKE ANESTH. FP no problem.

As far as getting accepted to school - with those stats you could probably get in somewhere, but only applying to 3 schools is going to limit your chances. Maybe consider the LECOM FL campus if FL is an option, or UMDNJ in NJ (near NY).

Good luck.

Thank you both so much for replying!... esp. nicedream, very informative and helpful.. i really appreciate it!