few questions regarding interning and residency time....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncronejr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still in my undergrad program but am taking a look at some various fields. The PM&R field sounds exciting. My question is really pertaining to the internship year and the residency years. Are these years that you get paid at least some amount or do they still fall under non paid educational years. I am a non traditional student who will be 45 by the time I finish my B.S. I have seen information that said med students were paid during residencies. Is this true?

I appreciate any reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you do get paid during intern and residency years. I don't the average, but it seems to vary from $30k-$50k per year, depending on the hospital. You make a few k more per year as your residency progresses. Technically, you're not a student while you're in residency, you're a doctor (you get your M.D. when you graduate from your four-year medical school).

http://www.physiatry.org/RTP/index.cfm has a good overview of each program, how much $$ you make, etc.

Good luck!

padresp, I appreciate your response and the link. I thank you for the well wishes. I am not sure if I will pursue the PM&R route or not. I have been thinking I would go to physical therapy school. I never knew PM&R was out there. The PT school is 3 years, so it wouldnt be a lot longer to go to med school. I do wonder about starting so late in life.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is never too late to follow your dreams, but it sounds like medicine isn't a big dream for you. I think when you're 45 years old, you're probably not going to want to lay down $200,000 to pay for a career where you'll have to train for almost 10 years and get to practice only about 10 years before retirement... unless it's something you really really have always wanted to do.