Few questions regarding jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do dental students start looking for and applying for jobs, their 4th year? How do they find those jobs, job recruiting companies, through school, ask around...?

Also, I know in highly populated areas new grads may not even crack 100k their first year. But...

In very rural or undeserved areas with not many dentists, is it possible for new grads to make 200k+? Are there opportunities like that out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since nobody in-the-know is here to answer, I'll give my inexperienced two cents.

I think it's all of the above. If a practice is actively seeking associates, they might send a letter to the faculty who--either directly or via some forum/board--lets the students know about it. I'm sure the faculty know of people in their personal network too looking for help, in which case they might let a few of their students know. It also seems like a lot of students might know dentists in their hometowns who will take them on.

I don't know if there are many private placement agencies for this sort of thing--not unless it's either 1) a big city or 2) on behalf of a large institution like a hospital. Chains are probably organized enough to recruit directly to campus.

In the OMS program I shadow, there's a cork board outside the resident room where the professors pin letters from practices who have contacted the program directly. Last time I was there, there were maybe 10 recent letters pinned, anything from a small OMS practice, to multi-specialty groups, to Aspen Dental...

So basically--my sense is that it's your personal network, your faculty's network, or some practices who contact the school and want them to pass the info on to their students.

There's a dentist in a very rural area of my state that hired an associate and started her at $600/day or 33% of collections. She made about $160K her first year, which is pretty damn high.
Just try to budget for $100K before taxes, then if you make over that, you can save it or use it for fun, while still having your needs met.

What about when dental students start looking for jobs? Start of 4th year?