Fiancee has MBBS from Bangladesh, wants to practice in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poathxp1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I made this account to ask this specific question. Im a US citizen living in New York City, originally from Bangladesh. My fiancee lives in Bangladesh and has an MBBS degree from Bangladesh medical school (equivelent to MD from US). After we get married she is planning to move to NYC to live with me.

What are the steps we need to take so she can practice medicine here? How can she get certified to practice medicine in the US? I want to help her every step of the process because I love her and make it as stress free as possible. I will also support her financially while she is studying and take care of all our money needs. Any information and links will be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I made this account to ask this specific question. Im a US citizen living in New York City, originally from Bangladesh. My fiancee lives in Bangladesh and has an MBBS degree from Bangladesh medical school (equivelent to MD from US). After we get married she is planning to move to NYC to live with me.

What are the steps we need to take so she can practice medicine here? How can she get certified to practice medicine in the US? I want to help her every step of the process because I love her and make it as stress free as possible. I will also support her financially while she is studying and take care of all our money needs. Any information and links will be highly appreciated.
You need to look up ECFMG and NRMP to start.

You have a long road, and it will require patience. The poster above posted a good starting point.

To be more precise your wife will need to take Step 1, Step 2 CS, and Step 2 CK to become ECFMG certified. Once she has the certification, she will be able to match for residency. She needs to get as high a score as possible on the steps, because she will be competing against other well qualified foreign medical graduates, and US Grads generally take precendence over foreign grads. That means she is also competing for a diminishing number of open residency spots. I am not saying it is impossible, but it is a trial not for the faint of heart.

I say this not to scare you, but rather to inform. I am retrospectively remembering going through the exact same thing you describe. Good luck to you and your wife.