Is it possible to get into med school if I have an old transcript from 2018 that has a solid bit of F's on it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washabie

Reaction score
It is my first year back in school and I just found out that AMCAS would need me to send them all of my college transcripts, and back then I was dealing with a lot of personal circumstances that led to the low GPA. I went to that school for a year before leaving due to previously mentioned circumstances and plan to retake all of the classes that I had taken there anyway, but just knowing that my current 3.8 GPA is likely going to be tanked because of that year makes me feel slightly discouraged. I'm still going to push though, but what are the chances that I will need to take extra classes to pump my GPA in the meantime as well. I'm already stretched pretty thing with working full time and full time school, and I know that I would be able to add a class to each semester, and still do well, but I was wondering if it was something that I should start doing now.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to find out what your cumulative GPA is (your ENTIRE academic history) before deciding whether you need extra class work beyond your degree.

It is my first year back in school and I just found out that AMCAS would need me to send them all of my college transcripts, and back then I was dealing with a lot of personal circumstances that led to the low GPA. I went to that school for a year before leaving due to previously mentioned circumstances and plan to retake all of the classes that I had taken there anyway, but just knowing that my current 3.8 GPA is likely going to be tanked because of that year makes me feel slightly discouraged. I'm still going to push though, but what are the chances that I will need to take extra classes to pump my GPA in the meantime as well. I'm already stretched pretty thing with working full time and full time school, and I know that I would be able to add a class to each semester, and still do well, but I was wondering if it was something that I should start doing now.
We need your year by year GPAs. Not semester by semester, either.

Contact your school to see if you can get retroactive withdrawals. This is a thing at some schools.

Read my post on reinvention for premeds.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need your year by year GPAs. Not semester by semester, either
Full Transparency, the 2018-2019 year my GPA was 1.13 (all I have there since I left following that year), and at my current institution I am sitting at a 3.8 as of current for the year (I'm taking a summer semester now), and thank you I'll check out the post.

Full Transparency, the 2018-2019 year my GPA was 1.13 (all I have there since I left following that year), and at my current institution I am sitting at a 3.8 as of current for the year (I'm taking a summer semester now), and thank you I'll check out the post.
I note that you didn't answer my question.

Reactions: 1 user

Currently an EM attending in Daytona Beach. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2 users
I note that you didn't answer my question.
Right now, that is all I have for my GPA. After the 2018-2019 year, I dropped out, and I began school again for the spring of 2022 at a new institution