Fibula and lateral malleolus

Started by Apollyon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, call me dumb, but I'm still (as an EM attending) confused just a bit. On one side, I've been taught that there is no purpose for the fibula, save for an insertion for the plantaris muscle (which in itself has no purpose except to hurt when it ruptures and to contribute for tendon transplants), but, at the same time, the distal fibula is the lateral malleolus, and I thought that the ankle would become unstable without the lat and/or med malleoli.

Can someone educate me?
 
OK, call me dumb, but I'm still (as an EM attending) confused just a bit. On one side, I've been taught that there is no purpose for the fibula, save for an insertion for the plantaris muscle (which in itself has no purpose except to hurt when it ruptures and to contribute for tendon transplants), but, at the same time, the distal fibula is the lateral malleolus, and I thought that the ankle would become unstable without the lat and/or med malleoli.

Can someone educate me?
http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/ao_weber_type_a_malleolar_fractures

Read about weber types a,b, and c. The fibula is very much involved with ankle stability. It has a lot of ligamentous attachment. However, long term a lot of the concern in deciding how to fix it has to do with damage to the syndesmosis depending on the level and method of injury.
 
What you said is true, at my institution, we generally fix isolated lateral mal fx. As you mentioned, they are the cornerstone to preventing excessive external rotation.