Fielding Graduate University

Started by jaypes
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jaypes

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello...

Just need some honest advice...Completely finishing my masters degree right now and I want to hold down the job I have...so I came across Fielding Graduate University.....has anyone heard of it and its credibility...

i know its APA accredited...but does someone know anyone who has gone through it..

thanks
 
jaypes said:
Hello...

Just need some honest advice...Completely finishing my masters degree right now and I want to hold down the job I have...so I came across Fielding Graduate University.....has anyone heard of it and its credibility...

i know its APA accredited...but does someone know anyone who has gone through it..

thanks

I know very little about Fielding but it is hard to imagine a part-time distance learning program for a doctoral level profession. Can you imagine your dentist having been trained in this manner? The few times I've heard Fielding come up, it has been in a negative context. When I was in graduate school, my program wouldn't allow a hospital to offer a practicum because the supervising psychologist had recently received his degree from Fielding (and was judged to be poorly trained). I've also heard internship directors make negative comments about applicants from Fielding.

Why don't you do a Google search and find some practicing psychologists who went to Fielding? I'm sure some of them would be willing to talk with you.
 
Why the APA would accredit a distance learning PhD is beyond me. It makes me think that either thier accredidation isn't worth very much, or that the standard for what we need to know isn't very high, I suppose both of those are really the same. Anyone have any ideas on how this would be ameliorated? I know often people will argue on here about the level of training one gets at different types of schools, but there are few if any ways to determine this. What might be useful is a ranking system, like they use in law school, which is universially agreed upon. The only problem with that is that the general curiculum at a clinical psychology doctoral school varies so much, maily as I see it due to the specialization that different programs have. So, regardless if school X is worse overall, if you want to study Y it might be the best place. Perhaps the field would benefit from a different training model. Where initially everyone learned the same set of basic skills over a shorter time, and then went on to specialize? Maybe I've been readinng the MD forums too much. I'm not sure that would be good or bad, anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Psyclops said:
Why the APA would accredit a distance learning PhD is beyond me.

I agree clops. I would think and hope a distance learning program would be an automatic no for accreditation.
 
Dr.JT said:
I agree clops. I would think and hope a distance learning program would be an automatic no for accreditation.

I don't know how the distance learning works with Fielding, but in general I think our field suffers from a serious problem with quality control. Some programs exist only in rented office space in business parks, with no formal connection to any hospitals, clinics, academic institutions, libraries, etc. I think it is a disservice to the students, who enter the field knowing little about the competitiveness of internship/post-doc or the realities of psychology starting salaries. Also, it is not uncommon to see a college that offers a doctoral degree in psychology and no other doctoral level training. Over a period of about five years there were suddenly five new doctoral programs in my area, and two were at schools that had never offered a doctoral degree.
 
thanks everyone...

yea..i wondered why APA would accredit a distance learning program...

anyways...thanks for the input
 
APA Accreditation means absolutely nothing at this point, they accredit mail-order programs yet give truly excellent programs like Wisconsin and Penn a hard time for not having all the "breadth" courses...
 
It is approaching joke status. Anyone know how to complain about that?

I geuss the argument would always be something like. "Well if the university based programs really are better then you won't have to worry about it once you are in the job market. Market forces will weed those bad practitioners out."

Except, with so little in the way of standards of practice, and in terms of "official" specialization (e.g., neuropsych evals anyone can do 'em), and the nature of the work we do (e.g., takes a while to get results, not guranteed results), it opens the door for those with "looser" ethics. I think our field has long suffered from loose ethics and a lack of policing within our own ranks. Specifically I am thinking of all of those "holding environement, wrap you in a blanket" therapists.
 
Jon Snow said:
It seems like, as a field, we're putting a gun to our heads and pulling the trigger repeatedly with these professional "schools."

Isn't it our history to shoot ourselves in the foot. In the past we've given away a whole field, optometry, who by the way make more than us. Why not ruin what's left. At least we are consistent.
 
PsychEval said:
Psychophysics, Perception, Just Noticeable Differences, etc?

Right, but also more specific to vision. We designed the procedures and then gave it away for someone else to market. One of several examples, some more current, of "giving away" psychology.
 
Playing devil's advocate here, if someone were to make scientific advances, how could any field lay "claim" to it, assuming another field were interested in the results and able to employ the findings usefully and safely?
 
Psyclops said:
Playing devil's advocate here, if someone were to make scientific advances, how could any field lay "claim" to it, assuming another field were interested in the results and able to employ the findings usefully and safely?

That is not what we are talking about here. The other field was created due to the psychologists back then having no foresight. I am not faulting optometry. I am faulting psychology. Imagine if we developed the IQ test, let if fall by the wayside, and an independent field called intelligence testing starts up based on the original work. We could absolutely lay "claim" to the origins of the field and kick ourselves in the ass for not holding onto it.
 
This is a good point, and I think (like to think?) that we are much more "copyright minded" today. Or maybe it's that our academic institutions have, so that any advancement in terms of techniques or tools might be patented immediately.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Psyclops said:
This is a good point, and I think (like to think?) that we are much more "copyright minded" today. Or maybe it's that our academic institutions have, so that any advancement in terms of techniques or tools might be patented immediately.

I think you're right clops that we are more copyright minded, but on an individual basis. As a field I am not sure we have learned from the past. In neuropsych we are already dealing with SLP's and OT's starting to use tests designed by us for us. In some of these cases I have to alter my assessment because one of these instruments has been used inappropriately.

A similar argument (we are/have given it away) can possibly be made regarding psychotherapy.

To return this to the original topic: I think it makes us harder to put our foot down in these instances when we weaken our profession's status by accrediting a distance learning program. Shame on the APA!
 
What the APA is thinking with the standards it employs for accredidation is beyond me...I can't even fathom a reason to acredit a distance ed. program. And to be honest I don't know how I feel about having others, even technicians, perform our tests. I understand that (and others who participate on this board might be able to weigh in here) allowing technicians to perform the tests allows for the PhD to make that much more money. But I can't help but feel that that opens the door for othres to say, well, we should be allowed to give them. To which we can always respond, we alone can do the interpretation. But naturally, one could argue that for them to be best interpreted by the person who gave them. So I don't know how I feel.
 
What a perfect timing! I was just going to post the same question, but wanted to check for previous posts. Following advice I googled and did see some resumes with that degree. Which means, people actually are able to find jobs coming from there 🙂, which is a good sign. I am actually considering that school, but do not know much beyond what is on their website. Also, I am at a very different lifestage and career stage , so my decision factors will not be applicable to most participants here.

But if you end up exploring it futher and knowing more (than their website) I'd love to talk over the email.
 
Sounds like a great way to get a clinical psych PhD.....yeah that's it....., unless of course you live in a state that begins with the letter O. They don't do distance learning for those lviing in Oregon or Oklahoma. Ohioans welcome, I guess. They do have a lower acceptance rate than many of the preofessional schools. 1 in 4.
 
Sounds like a great way to get a clinical psych PhD.....yeah that's it....., unless of course you live in a state that begins with the letter O. They don't do distance learning for those lviing in Oregon or Oklahoma. Ohioans welcome, I guess. They do have a lower acceptance rate than many of the preofessional schools. 1 in 4.
 
Galia said:
What a perfect timing! I was just going to post the same question, but wanted to check for previous posts. Following advice I googled and did see some resumes with that degree. Which means, people actually are able to find jobs coming from there 🙂, which is a good sign. I am actually considering that school, but do not know much beyond what is on their website. Also, I am at a very different lifestage and career stage , so my decision factors will not be applicable to most participants here.

But if you end up exploring it futher and knowing more (than their website) I'd love to talk over the email.

I just took a look at their website and did what most students inquiring about such programs unfortunately probably don't do; I looked at the tuition. Unless i am reading wrong, it will cost roughly $80,000 to complete a degree at this program. For anyone, other than someone who is independently wealthy, this should raise serious concerns. I would not recommend someone go into this kind of debt to gain a doctorate in clinical psych at an established program so you can guess how i feel about a "distance learning" program.
 
Psyclops said:
Sounds like a great way to get a clinical psych PhD.....They do have a lower acceptance rate than many of the preofessional schools. 1 in 4.


I suspected I will get a comment of that type…. and will be tempted to respond. Even though I think this is not informative at all.

I would not recommend attending that school as a basis for the first career. At that point one needs to signal being sufficiently competitive. Failing to do so has a heavier cost (since education is a main information about oneself and there is no another occupation for a backup). In fact this is exactly what I did in my current career, and was pretty ‘brand sensitive’ untill now. I realized, to my surprise, that one’s accomplishments (or just doing reasonably well) in one field are translatable into another (as long as one’s interest can be substantiated by actions). It might be also due to the fact that I’ve been trained how to translate. So at that point I am not worried about low acceptance rate, as being in such a program does not send a message that this is the only place I could get into. It is just a matter of convenience and a source of credentials. But not the major source of education and training – luckily it seems in psychology there are enough people/places willing to train on my schedule terms, as long as I can be useful to them. This does require having one’s own performance metrics, being able to adhere to them and make revisions if things are not happening. But doing so is just a matter of self-discipline and being sufficiently grown up to acknowledge when things are not working as they were designed.
 
Jon Snow said:
Yes, you'd pretty much have to be an idiot.

To some people the option of maintaining their current income sources while being geographically and schedule flexible outweights the option of attending free program - but requiring to forgo their income sources. This is why the average age in the program is significantly higher.
 
Jon Snow said:
. . .but to make sense as a mid-career shift, your income source would have to be pretty damned high along with minimal expenses.).

I agree, there is a level of (income minus expenses) which is a 'turning point' (or range). Only after passing that point it makes sense. This is cost-benefit calculation feasible to make, to help guiding one's decision.

Jon Snow said:
. From an ideological perspective (at least mine), these types of programs should not exist. Clinical psychology isn't something that can be adequately learned part time (i.e. half-assed).

I agree about half-assed. But it is surprising what people can do with their time 🙂. To the extend of observing the very same person using it very different, depending on the circumstances. I know I can not prove it to you. It is impossible to get any validation to that statement unless experiencing it.

Also, you are assuming that formal PhD program is the main source of education. And this is exactly not the way I see it. It can be, but it can also can be just a basic skeleton. The rest comes from other places.

It is just some people prefer assembled furniture and yet others are 'do it youself' types. Nothing wrong with one approach or another.
 
I think a bottom up approach would work best. Psychology at the undergrad level should be akin to pre-med. No one takes pre med because they can't figure out what they want to do. With only higher caliber undergrads, the field will get smaller but better. Highly competetive undergrads won't accept schools like the one's mentioned above. Increase rigor in the coursework, and the esteem will rise, people will get paid more.
 
Jon Snow said:
Oh, but there is (something wrong with the learn from other places approach).

By other places I did not mean just taking yet another class. I actually meant learning directly from experts/ people in the field and being able to create those settings.

As far as psychology goes, it is quite intriquing to observe what is going on, especially coming from another field and seeing things from different angle sometimes. Not that I do not have my observations, but I do not want to make judgements until I feel I've learnt enough. Besides, I do not feel a pressure to have that opinion, unless I decide to go (and be accepted to) a policy making/influencing position. Unless that happens (which I doubt) I’ll be pretty happy publishing my research and seeing my patients, on the terms that market will afford.


Jon Snow said:
Oh, but there is (something wrong with the learn from other places approach). Psychology needs to be taken seriously by the public, by the government, by insurance panels, etc. . . We would be best served to emulate a medical school model (in terms of education) and ensure that our field is educated by tier 1 institutions, not places no one has ever heard of like:
It is not good that 50%+ of new clinical psychologists come from these programs. Many of them aren't even real schools, but technical colleges/businesses (basically Devry/University of Phoenix type places). Do you see MDs from schools like this? Not really. Certainly, not 50%+ of the field. Imo, this trend is borderline criminal. APA has been exceptionally foolish in accrediting these programs and we will all feel it eventually. Politically (within APA) the effects are already quite apparent with new presidents coming from these types of institutions and a membership base increasingly representing these programs. Stupid, stupid, stupid. These programs are cancers on clinical psychology.
 
Jon Snow said:
Yes it is surprising what people can do with their time. But, in this case, I think the situation would not be impressive. In my opinion, those young students with high GRE scores, high GPAs, and research experience dedicating themselves in highly selective Boulder model PhD programs working 70+ hours a week, all in psychology, aren't going to be matched by 30-50 somethings managing families, careers, and part time clinical psych courses. It's just not going to happen.

Yes, but there is no need to compete in the same pond. There are other ponds, too. And there are ponds where age is advantage, rather opposite. There are many things one can do with Psych. PhD and many ways it can be useful for one's career progression/direction.

BTW, high GRE and GPAs are easy things to get, as far as my experience goes (not saying it does not require work). I feel we are way too removed from the subject by now.
 
Psyclops said:
With only higher caliber undergrads, the field will get smaller but better. Highly competetive undergrads won't accept schools like the one's mentioned above. Increase rigor in the coursework, and the esteem will rise, people will get paid more.

You might be right, but I am afraid it is too late. Once you open it to the market - the rules of the game change, and there is no turn back.

Allright, I guess I should stop expressing opinions, just to be consistent with myself 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jon Snow said:
Many of them aren't even real schools, but technical colleges/businesses (basically Devry/University of Phoenix type places).

Just one last question... if those schools are Devry type of places, it should not be taking 5 years to complete their program, isnt't it (for somebody who is accustomed to the 'mainstream' , 'high-brand', 'top-tier' academic system, whatever you prefer to call it).
 
Jon Snow said:
I'm not quite sure what you're asking (can't follow the grammar; not a slam, I'm just not sure what you mean). I'll try to address what I think you mean.

No, you are right on target. Sorry, was in a hurry - not following grammer. I am trying to do realistic cost estimation. Some of these places charge per year, independent of how many credits one takes. If they are what you say in terms of education quality - than it takes just a few years to complete the program, making them much less expensive than they present themselves.

I am at the point of evaluating factors, and this is a factor (not saying it is the only one). To tell the truth comparison with Devry, even if exaggerated, is more than I ever imagined. I mean Devry one can complete being half asleep, forget part time.

Jon Snow said:
(e.g., practicum requirements filled by paying the program to let you work for free or pittance for a local mental health professional not in any way affiliated with the school).

Can you please explain what is the problem with that - having to practice for free in a local hospital. It might seem naive question with an obvious answer - but I am from the different field and still having gaps.

Jon Snow said:
e.g., charging full tuition while the "student" completes an externship somewhere else.
Do you mean they do not provide externship and one has to find it on his own?
 
So do you all think Psy.D.s are as respected as Ph.D.s in the applied psychology world? I would imagine the answer to be "no" since PsyD.s come from (mostly) diploma mills...
 
edieb said:
So do you all think Psy.D.s are as respected as Ph.D.s in the applied psychology world?

If by "respected" you are referring to their training and not them as people, then I would hope not.
 
This is a news to me - that one needs to pay for internship. I did not realize -everybody I know actually got paid for internship (in 20M ranges which is not much - but still).

Jon Snow said:
Interviewer: This project, it was a retrospective data analysis?
student at one of the above institutions: Yes, Dr. X ran a project last year and I analyzed some data from that.

Some mercy, please - can you explain? Does that mean there is no study design done from the student side?


Jon Snow said:
Interviewer: Where did you do your practicums?
student at one of the above institutions: *lists off several prominent university medical centers in the city of their program*

Same - can you please explain. Have they not worked in those places or what is the problem?
 
Galia-

While Jon Snow shovels a lot of unnecessary degreeism (it’s excusable, a psy.d killed his uncle), feels a need to correct people on their grammar, and is quick to call people “idiot” and “******”, if you get past the general uncouthness of his posts he really is trying to do you a favor. Don’t go into huge debt to become a psychologist, don’t do the distance ed thing.

Trust it.
 
codetype4/9 said:
Galia-

While Jon Snow shovels a lot of unnecessary degreeism (it’s excusable, a psy.d killed his uncle), feels a need to correct people on their grammar, and is quick to call people “idiot” and “******”, if you get past the general uncouthness of his posts he really is trying to do you a favor. Don’t go into huge debt to become a psychologist, don’t do the distance ed thing.

Trust it.

Thats all right, I usually do not get offended by internet tones. I think we are managing to have a pretty civilized discussion. Also I have passed the need for confirmation phase, so I am not taking those terms personally. But it is hard for me to get advice 'as is' - to give me a real advice one needs to delve into my personal situation and factors which I think will be too much for the public forum to bear. But it does help a lot (!) to listen to opinions and get the information. I am still considering my options. But I never said I will go into debt if I were to go distance learning route. This is actually one of the biggest advantages of it.
 
Well, from what I’ve heard and read (including calling that Fielding place) nobody will argue quality of education is incomparably lower than in a ‘proper’ boulder program. Until recently I was considering exclusively the latter, concentrating on admission requirements. Now when I am getting closer, I just can’t make the numbers work with boulder program. It is not a matter of income maximization (the whole thing about psychology is not income maximizing). But rather simple feasibility. Unless I making gross mistakes in my assumptions???

For somebody in his 30s who provides for the family, generates income, but does not have too much savings any boulder program will result in debt of 75 grants at least (compared to Fielding or other part- time professional school in the area of residence). Assuming income of easy round figure as 100 translated into 70 after taxes, spending 5 years in Fielding of which the first 4 are while on the job and the last year full-time internship paying 20, and spending each year 20 on school - the total outcome is 200 for 5 years or 40 per year. (70*4+20-20*5).

In the funded program, the total is 125 (assuming stipend of 25 per year, for 4 years and 25 for internship in the last year). The difference is negative 75, which will have to be borrowed this way or another. In reality the deal is even worse - it takes 6 years at best and most probably involves relocation since those programs compete on national level. Of course, as you move futher from 100 it makes the gap even worse.

Any professional program that requires relocation/dropping from work while paying 20-25 per year does not work either.

The only factor I am not taking into consideration is the impact of the program quality on earning potential – I am sure it exists, but from what I’ve seen I have not observed the gap to be that huge?

Now I understand many of you have concerns about the trends in your field. But when applicant is looking for advice – he is not looking to influence field dynamics. Simply speaking, whether I go to Fielding or not will not change anything for your field. And for changing the mind of majority attending those schools – not sure the forum is a vehicle.

So it helps if advice is from individual’s and not ‘field dynamics’ perspective. It does not take much smarts to figure a high quality program is better than a low quality one. But advice you are giving often takes ‘all or nothing’ approach. Either one attends boulder program or he/she does not attend anything. The question that each person faces, however, is ‘does attending lower quality program improve my situation/move me closer to my objectives (whatever they are), compared to not attending anything or going other field.’

And since I am still going through the process of evaluating options one additional thing that would really help is comparison of something like Fielding (or any lower-quality professional school) with something like masters in social work in terms of educational quality, feasible career opportunities and earning potential. I am aware of the basic structure of social work programs, but realize social work schools might be out of the scope of that forum.
 
The original 75 resulted just from the difference between two cash flows. It assumed no relocation. It does look like moving to rural area can make a difference to all those projections. This is something I need to think about, but as of now even the thought, yaiks, hurts.

From what you are saying, I need to bring down the income from stipend and internship in boulder program, but I could add some income from any part time job I could have. I do not mind working hard, but have not thought about what potential part time jobs are possible (making minimal wage an hour at local grocery does not count).

Do you feel, by the way, that you were in somewhat unique / lucky / special situation with the part time job you had or that majority of students, if they were willing to, were able to find arangements of that sort?

You are actually very helpful. The more I talk to you – the more I see the issue is not pure numbers. I need to find a way to incorporate the risk factor into my equation, together with the rest of my priorities. I had exactly same line of thinking (as yours) when I went for my grad school. But now it is not quite same. If, after the whole PhD exercise I suck as a therapist, researcher, tester / other prof. capacities of PhD to the extend of not finding a job or making ends meet - the worst case scenario is staying at my current (or similar) job. It might even be in Starbucks 🙂 as they have a need for people with my current qualifications, except I am not so thrilled about moving to Seattle (even though I love it).

I do understand the basics about social work, and specifically that it will prevent me from doing any research. I guess I need to find a way to somehow approximate the probability of doing any research should I go to one of ‘those’ 🙂 schools.
 
In terms of Fielding, I don't know anything specifically about the school, so I don't want to speak to its quality, but there are a few things that would worry me in general about distance ed clinical psychology. I know people have done distance ed programs in other disciplines and thought that they were great, but most of it is done on your own. That would really worry me in terms of the supervision and mentoring that is necessary both on a clinical and research level. So much of your training does come "on the job" working with your professors on both a clinical and research level.

The other part that would worry me would be, as others have stated, is what happens at the end of your degree. I think getting an internship is probably harder, but let's assume that works. If you want to do teaching/research, I'd say you have a very small chance. Faculty are about 10x worse than Jon Snow in terms of their feelings about business schools/degree mills, and you're going to have a huge battle to convince them you'd be qualified. Not to mention, with the job market, you'd be competing with tons of people from well-known schools, which gives them a leg up.

If you want to do therapy, then I think the degree would be less hindersome. However, if you want to just do therapy, I might think about a degree in social work or a masters in counseling. I don't know about your living/geographical situation, but there are more of those schools around, and it's easier to get into the state school which is both better known and less expensive than Fielding. Due to the amount of time involved, you'll probably end up with less debt than in either of them, and they're great degrees for doing therapy.
 
I realize I am about a decade late to the game, but for those who are considering Fielding who stumble upon this......There are just so many negative comments on here about Fielding, I thought I would shed some light on it, from the perspective of an actual student...

For starters, it is NOT an online program. Yes, there is a large online component, but all of your clinical training, case presentation, assessment, and therapy courses are face to face. There is also a heavy research training component, as with any PhD program. We have faculty who also hold appointments at UCLA, Harvard, UC San Diego, Yale, and many other well-respected institutions. Yes, there is a high drop out rate...because a lot of people cant hack the fielding model. Or they did not realize that they don't get to stay behind a computer for 5 years and expect to be a competent psychologist. You need to be driven, self-motivated, and really seek the help when you need it. You don't meet every week like most schools for class so if you need to speak with a professor, you really need to make it happen on your end. And to those that say that Fielding is not reputable is a load of crap. You yourself are as reputable and respectable as you make yourself. I personally know two Fielding grads who are now yale school of medicine faculty, and many others that hold excellent positions who are well known in their field.

Point being, stop spreading false info about the school. Is it different? Totally. For everyone? Not at all. But, it can be an excellent and valuable option for some people.
 
Fielding has a sub 50% match rate and a sub 60% EPPP pass rate. Those are godawful numbers. Can you be a diamond in the rough and make something out of a ****ty situation, sure. But, it's a coin flip. In the meantime, they're going to run you well over 6 figures in debt. Honestly, we see better applications from some of the Argosy and Alliant grads in intern and postdoc apps.

Also, are these full professors we're talking about, or just voluntary affiliations through another source? All of us who work in VA's and AMC's have the opportunity for affiliation with the local universities. It doesn't mean we do anything there though. Heck, I was a professor at the Baylor College of Medicine technically, without ever teaching a single class there.
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure I can think well of a program that has a 60% EPPP pass rate and where only 42% of students match to an internship program (of those who matched, only 44% were to an accredited internship). I know you can say, well some people can hack it others can't, but programs have the responsibility to ensure all students who graduate have adequate knowledge and training. Clearly that's not happening here.
 
And to those that say that Fielding is not reputable is a load of crap. You yourself are as reputable and respectable as you make yourself.

This doesn't make sense. The program has a poor reputation in many, many academic and clinic circles. Thats much different than personal reputation of each individual graduate.
 
Also, are these full professors we're talking about, or just voluntary affiliations through another source?

Pretty sure we're talking about adjunct appointments here. I'm familiar with two of the listed institutions and am unaware of any full faculty who attended Fielding, nor could I turn any up in a search.

I'm sure that some people who attended Fielding have a good reputation. They achieved that despite their alma mater, not because of it. Why handicap yourself professionally? Even with that reputation, a great many doors will be closed to them and they will probably never be as successful as they could have been.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need to be driven, self-motivated, and really seek the help when you need it. You don't meet every week like most schools for class so if you need to speak with a professor, you really need to make it happen on your end.

These are qualities that are needed to be successful in any doctoral training program.