Filing taxes during 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerngirl1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that I should file taxes during my 4th year of med school to give me an extra 6 months of $0 repayments during intern year but my parents usually file their taxes and add me as a dependent. Will that suffice or should I file myself this year as an independent?

Members don't see this ad.

The reason $0 repayment for 1st year of IBR occurs is because your AGI during med school (assume you are not working) is zero (if filed individually). You should file your own taxes. Your parents are adding you as a dependent because it lowers their taxes.

What about filing separately from a spouse? I am an MS4 and my spouse has a full time job. We usually file jointly, but if this years taxes determine my IBR for next year, should I consider filing separately.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about filing separately from a spouse? I am an MS4 and my spouse has a full time job. We usually file jointly, but if this years taxes determine my IBR for next year, should I consider filing separately.
does your spouse have debt of their own that could be IBR/PAYE eligible?