Questions regarding filing taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flight24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year med student here. Everyone has told me to file taxes by myself this year for repayment benefits during intern year. Usually my parents file taxes for me and includes me as a dependent. Right now I'm using turbo taxes to do my taxes and it shows I will get zero refunds (makes sense since my income is about $300 from stock dividends). I have a few questions, which would help me tremendously.

1) Should my parents just file taxes and include me as their dependent so that they can reap the benefits since I will not be getting any refunds anyways if I were file independently? Will that cause any issues as far as repayment during intern year?

2) Assuming I file independently on turbotax, does it matter if I include deductions such as travel expenses for residency interviews, board exams fees and materials? I mean what's there to deduct since I basically have zero income?

3) Is there another option to filing taxes in my situation (zero income, zero refund) rather than paying $35 using Turbotax (that's the fee for the state tax filing while federal tax filing is free)?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.