Filipino guy needs ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newbie_guy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I just found this site and I'm very excited on how this will help me in reaching my dream in life. :) You see, I'm at a loss on how I would be in a few year's time. I have always thought of having my residency abroad and I think, to have that, I need to start doing something NOW!

I'm 22, 2nd yr. medical student here in Manila and i want to go into either IM or PM&R (its related to my pre-med, Physical Therapy). I know what I need to do in order to get a residency in the US, that's about the USMLE and stuff, and that's it. Even if I know the procedures, my biggest problem is that I don't know ANYONE there and I don't have any CONTACTS. I have only like a cousin in LA who's not in the medical field. That's why I want to hear your opinions, encourage-ments and experiences so that I can figure it out what to do, 'coz I'm absolutely DECIDED AND DETERMINED to have my residency there! (that's what counts, right?) :)

Also, I would like to hear from all 2nd year medical students out there, especially those who are planning to have their residency in the US. It would be nice if I can relate to people in nearly the same situation as me, at least I know that I'm not the only one having this experience! :) You can email me at my school, [email protected]

Thanks in advance for your response! I hope I can have e-mail friends from this so that for the contact problem, I'll be one step done! :D

Members don't see this ad.

kumusta pare, i'm also a second year medical student and i'm enrolled at UERM. we will be hosting a special forum dealing with residency in the us, taking the usmle 1&2, csa, toefl e.t.c if you are interested send an e-mail to [email protected]
BTW the form will be this saturday, oct 6

hey wussup! im a 2nd year med student at FEU-NRMF. im also intrested in goin abroad for my residency. but you know what bro., tska ko na pruproblemahin yon! 1st year was just like a walk in the park, but 2nd year is like hell! i think i'll take it one step at a time. im currently nervous as hell cuz tommorow will be the promotion board for 2nd year! kinakabahan talaga ako sa walang hiyang pharmacology! oh well! good luck man! always remember why we entered this field. let us always keep our intentions clean!
my email address is: [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
hey jue... thanks! sorry i wasn't able to attend last oct 6, its our exams this week! i'm trying to relax before i study for tomorrow's surgery and clin. patho! :)

doc marcus... i visited your site, learned your pre-med was BSMT. pare, chicken lang sa 'yo micro and clin patho! :D well, i understand what you wanted to tell me that i need to take one step at a time. i get it, but i always keep myself inspired by my long-term dreams! :)

kamusta kayo???

I stumbled on to this site and enjoyed reading your posts. This is a really good resource for all of you as Philippine students wanting residency in the States.

I graduated from med school from UERM this year and am in the middle of residency applications in the States. Its such a complicated process, especially as a foreign grad. I would be happy to give any of you advise!!! I am applying to PM&R and a couple of my classmates are applying to medicine and pediatrics. I have met others in the states from UERM, UST and PGH who have completed their training and are happily practicing their specialty here!!!

Jue... Sorry that I didn't meet you as a JI last year! Its nice to see that you guys are still holding the forums. I took and passed both steps, just took the CSA and awaiting results... Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Newbie_guy... PM&R is a GREAT specialty and your PT background will certainly help!Alittle easier to get into, but I hear that it is beginning to get more and more competitive because of the attractive lifestyle and new subspecialties...

Good luck to you all... Second year is tough! Study hard and follow your dreams!

;)