filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...i was just stating a well-known fact that nothing really beats UP medicine...

dr. morgagni

You reiterate my point exactly. Thanks again! Your attitude is lousy. You have no tact. Since you've put so much work into getting a degree, maybe you can put some work into working on your personality. :)

Members don't see this ad.

What's with the petty arguments on this thread? There is obviously a lot of pride in Philippine schools. My dad and lolo are Ateneans, so I know first hand how prideful some alumni can be. However, most of us on this forum are seeking practical advice for med school, and it is useless to have to read through posts with unnecessary comments.

to hentaisocrnmdph,

-Can we send in an application to UST even if we haven't taken the NMAT yet? I wouldn't want to send in an application before I know for sure that I've made their cutoff score.

-I am going to be back in Manila for winter break in December, do you think UST will accept my application then?'

Thanks to everyone for all the good info, I would be completely lost without it!

What's with the petty arguments on this thread? There is obviously a lot of pride in Philippine schools. My dad and lolo are Ateneans, so I know first hand how prideful some alumni can be. However, most of us on this forum are seeking practical advice for med school, and it is useless to have to read through posts with unnecessary comments.

to hentaisocrnmdph,

-Can we send in an application to UST even if we haven't taken the NMAT yet? I wouldn't want to send in an application before I know for sure that I've made their cutoff score.

-I am going to be back in Manila for winter break in December, do you think UST will accept my application then?'

Thanks to everyone for all the good info, I would be completely lost without it!

Speaking as a therapist- people, lets take a deep breath and focus in the here and now (deep diaphragmatic breathing exercise)- things are getting hot and we need protection from the thrashing of emotions otherwise we will be stuck with these issues so distant from this thread making us less psychosocially adapted to an ever changing mode of discussion (what am I saying? C/O UP College of Nursing)

Pareho naman kasing magaling ang UP and UST- iba lang talaga yung fields ng pinagkaka galingan nila (pwede nating tingnan sa tuition, sa values and attitudes sa pasyente, hilatsa ng mukha, attitude in studying etc... probably an infinite number of indicators)

Anyway
- yes you can send your applications already- and HURRY PLEASE (why? because you might be a potential classmate which I am so interested in meeting you whoever you are:D. Your surname might be off already at the list so youd better hurry up if youre planning to attend the 2007 Medical Academic Year ). They already handed the forms and are already filing for them according to surnames. There is a part in the application form indicating wether one has taken the NMAT or not. Youll just have to follow that up after having taken the exam this december (Putsa, napalaban ako sa english- tama ba grammar ko?). Tinatanggap pa nila yung mga kumuha ng december NMAT kaya okay lang- ipasa mo na at sabihin mo, since december taker ka, to follow na lang sa faculty of medicine and surgery ng Saint Martin De Porres Builiding (Yun yung pangalan ng building sa UST)

- Dont you suppose youll be a little late if not ill prepared for the NMAT if youll be returning here on december- make it earlier like... TODAY (hahahaha :laugh: ) or november. The exams are on December 10 and I think its a two day exam, you have to adjust to the climate here and the people and the place where to take the exam atbp. Yes, UST will be accepting your application as long as your not late in the filing- Started September for A- J surnames I think. Application fee of 1320 php.

Grabe- nasabi ko yon? I am not an authority here- will just be filing mine tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking as a therapist- people, lets take a deep breath and focus in the here and now (deep diaphragmatic breathing exercise)- things are getting hot and we need protection from the thrashing of emotions otherwise we will be stuck with these issues so distant from this thread making us less psychosocially adapted to an ever changing mode of discussion (what am I saying? C/O UP College of Nursing)

Pareho naman kasing magaling ang UP and UST- iba lang talaga yung fields ng pinagkaka galingan nila (pwede nating tingnan sa tuition, sa values and attitudes sa pasyente, hilatsa ng mukha, attitude in studying etc... probably an infinite number of indicators)

Anyway
- yes you can send your applications already- and HURRY PLEASE (why? because you might be a potential classmate which I am so interested in meeting you whoever you are:D. Your surname might be off already at the list so youd better hurry up if youre planning to attend the 2007 Medical Academic Year ). They already handed the forms and are already filing for them according to surnames. There is a part in the application form indicating wether one has taken the NMAT or not. Youll just have to follow that up after having taken the exam this december (Putsa, napalaban ako sa english- tama ba grammar ko?). Tinatanggap pa nila yung mga kumuha ng december NMAT kaya okay lang- ipasa mo na at sabihin mo, since december taker ka, to follow na lang sa faculty of medicine and surgery ng Saint Martin De Porres Builiding (Yun yung pangalan ng building sa UST)

- Dont you suppose youll be a little late if not ill prepared for the NMAT if youll be returning here on december- make it earlier like... TODAY (hahahaha :laugh: ) or november. The exams are on December 10 and I think its a two day exam, you have to adjust to the climate here and the people and the place where to take the exam atbp. Yes, UST will be accepting your application as long as your not late in the filing- Started September for A- J surnames I think. Application fee of 1320 php.

Grabe- nasabi ko yon? I am not an authority here- will just be filing mine tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments and hope to be ur classmate too... Do you know when the filing for applications are for last name P? And do you know if they accept NMAT scores if i take it this coming april for the coming 2007 class?
And do you know what the entrance exam at UST is supposed to be like? What subjects? Sorry for all the questions, but in the states and hard to get info from here... thanks.

Hello,

Here's the info I got.

APPLYING TO UST:
======================================================
Important Application Dates
Application starts:
SURNAMES
A-H Sept. 18 - Sept. 29, 2006
I-P Oct. 2 - Oct. 27, 2006
Q-Z Nov. 6 - Nov. 29, 2006
(Note: These dates are dates when application forms become available to the applicants to start their application process. They are not dates for deadlines to submit the application and documents. As an example, if your surname is Q-Z, you will not be able to fill-out the form just yet, but you can gather all your documents before this date. As a futher example, those who have surnames A-H must obtain the application forms only in the dates given above, then can later submit the filled-out application form along with the required documents.)
DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF THE TRANSCRIPT OF RECORDS:
DECEMBER 15, 2006
INTERVIEWS start in November (For those who have their application forms + required documents completed)
LIST OF ACCEPTED APPLICANTS RELEASED BY 1ST WEEK OF MARCH

In other words, in American medical school admission parlance, UST has "Rolling Evaluation Process", but NOT "Rolling Admission Process" as they only release the acceptance in March to everyone (and the waiting list subsequent thereafter). The "Rolling Evaluation Process" works for them, they can start evaluating right away as soon as an application becomes COMPLETE -- as opposed to waiting for a specific DATE and on this date they will BEGIN evaluating the completed files. While the Evaluation Process is "Rolling", there is a due date for Transcripts. It follows that the Application Form must be submitted before this date. NMAT can be submitted after the due date for Transcripts for those who will write NMAT in December, however, if you submit your application, transcript and payment, and your NMAT doesn't cut it, your application will not be looked at. Those who write their NMAT earlier or in October 2006, should be able to get their results by November and lodge their application before December (foreign applicants must still have at least 7 semesters on their transcript).

ADMISSION
- Bachelor’s degree in arts or science (AB/BS) conferred by a duly recognized institution
- An applicant with an NMAT score below 65% need not apply because his application papers will not be processed.
TUITION
- Php 70,000 per semester
- US$10,000 foreign fee (resident or non-resident Alien).

The application dates based on surnames:
- Although the application date for surnames A-H (for example) is earlier than the application dates for other surnames, these applicants may still submit their documents later.
- Deadline to submit Transcript of Record (at least 7 semesters) is Dec. 15, 2006.
- Applications can be submitted, while you're waiting for the NMAT result, but NMAT needs to be submitted ASAP when becomes available. (For those who prefer to submit their application, after they get their NMAT result to see if they meet the cut-off, should write the NMAT at the latest October 21 in LA, California. Writing the NMAT in Manila in December may be too late -- except for the schools who don't weigh NMAT heavily and/or have more lenient application deadlines for foreign applicants.

Fast-forward:
- UST students are allowed to do their electives and/or clerkship outside the country. (UST has four-year MD curriculum which already includes the internship -- not internship on top of the four-year and that'll make it five-year, eg. St. Luke's).
- (Preferably) on the 1st semester of Year 4, you attempt to write the USMLE 1 -- not only because the contents/topics have already been covered, but if you are doing electives in the States, you might as well be in the States doing your electives AND studying/writing your USMLE 1, then return to the Philippines for the other part of 1st semester AND 2nd semester -- all the way to graduation. (Unless you want to fly every so often). There is no medical school in the world that will allow you -- if you're not their student -- to do more than 3 months (12 weeks) of electives and your home institution will not allow that either. So only part of 1st semester Year 4 can be spent on electives in the States, then you can return to the Philippines to finish continuously, uninterruptedly, your MD on to your graduation. (Granting the request to do your electives/clerkship abroad also depends on your grades from previous MD years).

Residency Training
- Doing some electives/clerkship in the States will help, but you need to score high on the USMLEs.
- Develop very good relationships with your medical school professors (and also the people you will be working with during clerkship) -- good letters of recommendations on top of a decent transcript and high USMLE score(s) -- are recipe to land the residency training you choose (if not, want).

---- Application info for UP, UERMM, and DLSU ---
UP has deadline to submit all requirements (in December).
NMAT 90% cutoff -- that means only the top 9.99% of NMAT takers. (The number of NMAT takers has declined. If there are 5,000 people, both local and foreign, who sit for NMAT - that means about 500 people are eligible to apply to UP Manila based on NMAT alone. And out of these 500, the gpa will be looked at, and a combination of both will be considered. But that's not all, UP is a State University and has quota for some groups and also favours children of alumni. With only about 167 or so (less than 200) admitted per year at US$1,000 per year tuition+foreign fee cost -- the lowest cost school only admits 2-3 foreign students.

more later.

Hello,

Here's the info I got.

APPLYING TO UST:
Application starts:
SURNAMES
(Note: These dates are dates when application forms become available to the applicants to start their application process. They are not dates for deadlines to submit the application and documents. As an example, if your surname is Q-Z, you will not be able to fill-out the form just yet, but you can gather all your documents before this date. As a futher example, those who have surnames A-H must obtain the application forms only in the dates given above, then can later submit the filled-out application form along with the required documents.)
DECEMBER 15, 2006
INTERVIEWS start in November (For those who have their application forms + required documents completed)

In other words, in American medical school admission parlance, UST has "Rolling Evaluation Process", but NOT "Rolling Admission Process" as they only release the acceptance in March to everyone (and the waiting list subsequent thereafter). The "Rolling Evaluation Process" works for them, they can start evaluating right away as soon as an application becomes COMPLETE -- as opposed to waiting for a specific DATE and on this date they will BEGIN evaluating the completed files. While the Evaluation Process is "Rolling", there is a due date for Transcripts. It follows that the Application Form must be submitted before this date. NMAT can be submitted after the due date for Transcripts for those who will write NMAT in December, however, if you submit your application, transcript and payment, and your NMAT doesn't cut it, your application will not be looked at. Those who write their NMAT earlier or in October 2006, should be able to get their results by November and lodge their application before December (foreign applicants must still have at least 7 semesters on their transcript).

ADMISSION
- Bachelor’s degree in arts or science (AB/BS) conferred by a duly recognized institution
- An applicant with an NMAT score below 65% need not apply because his application papers will not be processed.
TUITION

- Although the application date for surnames A-H (for example) is earlier than the application dates for other surnames, these applicants may still submit their documents later.
- Deadline to submit Transcript of Record (at least 7 semesters) is Dec. 15, 2006.
- Applications can be submitted, while you're waiting for the NMAT result, but NMAT needs to be submitted ASAP when becomes available. (For those who prefer to submit their application, after they get their NMAT result to see if they meet the cut-off, should write the NMAT at the latest October 21 in LA, California. Writing the NMAT in Manila in December may be too late -- except for the schools who don't weigh NMAT heavily and/or have more lenient application deadlines for foreign applicants.

Fast-forward:
- UST students are allowed to do their electives and/or clerkship outside the country. (UST has four-year MD curriculum which already includes the internship -- not internship on top of the four-year and that'll make it five-year, eg. St. Luke's).
- (Preferably) on the 1st semester of Year 4, you attempt to write the USMLE 1 -- not only because the contents/topics have already been covered, but if you are doing electives in the States, you might as well be in the States doing your electives AND studying/writing your USMLE 1, then return to the Philippines for the other part of 1st semester AND 2nd semester -- all the way to graduation. (Unless you want to fly every so often). There is no medical school in the world that will allow you -- if you're not their student -- to do more than 3 months (12 weeks) of electives and your home institution will not allow that either. So only part of 1st semester Year 4 can be spent on electives in the States, then you can return to the Philippines to finish continuously, uninterruptedly, your MD on to your graduation. (Granting the request to do your electives/clerkship abroad also depends on your grades from previous MD years).

Residency Training
- Doing some electives/clerkship in the States will help, but you need to score high on the USMLEs.
- Develop very good relationships with your medical school professors (and also the people you will be working with during clerkship) -- good letters of recommendations on top of a decent transcript and high USMLE score(s) -- are recipe to land the residency training you choose (if not, want).

NMAT 90% cutoff -- that means only the top 9.99% of NMAT takers. (The number of NMAT takers has declined. If there are 5,000 people, both local and foreign, who sit for NMAT - that means about 500 people are eligible to apply to UP Manila based on NMAT alone. And out of these 500, the gpa will be looked at, and a combination of both will be considered. But that's not all, UP is a State University and has quota for some groups and also favours children of alumni. With only about 167 or so (less than 200) admitted per year at US$1,000 per year tuition+foreign fee cost -- the lowest cost school only admits 2-3 foreign students.

more later.

Thank you so much Josh for the info...

One last question: Do you know where I could get the application material from UST if I am here in the states? Would I need someone to get it for me from the office in PI or is the downloadable application on the web site the same things. Maraming Salamat, bro.

Hello,

Here's the info I got.

APPLYING TO UST:
Application starts:
SURNAMES
DECEMBER 15, 2006

ADMISSION
TUITION

Fast-forward:

Residency Training

more later.

Good info man. Thanks.

Hi,

Does anyone know if the US$10,000 foreign fee for UST can be paid in installment basis (eg. every semester) or does it have to be paid in FULL in the beginning of first year ?

Thanks.

Foreign fees:
UST US$10,000 (resident and non-resident Alien)
UP Manila US$400 per semester (Non-resident Alien); US$200 per sem (resident Alien)
De La Salle University US$5,000 (Alien)
UERRM US$5,000 (Alien)

In UP, you can pay the foreign fee on semestral basis.

If I recall correctly, one of the prior posts said that you cannot pay the foreign fee in installments. Although, if you have a relative who is part of the schools faculty, you might be able to get away this.

Thanks for your comments and hope to be ur classmate too... Do you know when the filing for applications are for last name P? And do you know if they accept NMAT scores if i take it this coming april for the coming 2007 class?
And do you know what the entrance exam at UST is supposed to be like? What subjects? Sorry for all the questions, but in the states and hard to get info from here... thanks.

Using the contact information from the UST web site, I've e-mailed them many times for some information on applying to UST and haven't received a reply yet. There has to be another way to get accurate info other than this forum.

Using the contact information from the UST web site, I've e-mailed them many times for some information on applying to UST and haven't received a reply yet. There has to be another way to get accurate info other than this forum.

Thanks for letting me know...I will try to call them tomorrow (the # in the philippines)...Does anyone know if they are good with answering the phones? Thanks... ill let you guys know what info I get should I get through...

why are you reacting so violently to my post? perhaps you are still sour-graping for not getting into UP med?

dr. morgagni

You reiterate my point exactly. Thanks again! Your attitude is lousy. You have no tact. Since you've put so much work into getting a degree, maybe you can put some work into working on your personality. :)

this is a public forum, you know. you can't keep everyone from expressing their opinions and ideas. if you don't think my statement is accurate, then just say so. and, if you want, you can also state facts to prove my statement wrong. but i really doubt that you have such facts right now.

dr. morgagni

why are you reacting so violently to my post? perhaps you are still sour-graping for not getting into UP med?

dr. morgagni

I guess I get riled up because you are a cocky individual. The fact of the matter is that I am enrolled at an Allopathic School in the US. I am not happy with the way things are here, and am contemplating reapplying. Just in case I don't get into US schools, I am looking into the Philippines as well. You shouldn't assume things. Didn't they teach you that in med school? If the students at UP are anything like you, I would rather not apply there. As I said before, I hope that you are not an accurate representation of the UP med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a public forum, you know. you can't keep everyone from expressing their opinions and ideas. if you don't think my statement is accurate, then just say so. and, if you want, you can also state facts to prove my statement wrong. but i really doubt that you have such facts right now.

dr. morgagni

You are extremely arrogant. That's all I'm pointing out. Acceptance is the key :).

hello everyone! im new here and i have a question.
im a nursing graduate and about to take the licensure exams (dec 2 and 3) and nmat in december.

My problem is that i lack units in some subject requirements. My target schools are ust, cim (cebu institute of medicine), feu, ue, and st. luke's.

How will i complete my units? am i going to re enroll in my old school or these schools have extra programs for students lacking in units? :)

my email is [email protected]

tnx

Hi,
Im in ust med, I never took pyschology or statistics. I think ust is lenient with their entrance requirements if you are fil-am or foreigner. I guess the 10 thou donation fee is an incentive for them to accept you. Do not get me wrong though. They select qualified applicants but their selection criteria for foreigners are slightly less stringent than the locals.

P.S. Im a second year and I am so unhappy with med right now! I have no life and it seems like my world revolves around study.ARGH !!!! I MISS HOME and 2nd year is super hard! I HATE PHARMACOLOGY! I respect pharmacists now!

You are extremely arrogant. That's all I'm pointing out. Acceptance is the key :).

PEOPLE please- lets take a deep breath first... masyado na pong mainit ang usapan

In fairness to doctor morgagni, it is but innate for UP students to really brag about their school especially those already in UPCM- the entrance is rigorous enough, one is given quite the quality education for a very low a price. Probably I am from UP as well thus I understand her feelings- she has the right to be that arrogant (Doc, please dont even mention if you took the intarmed...)

Then again doctor Morgagni, let us remember that most of these people here are the rich Filipinos (Fil Am) that happen to have supported and paid for your education thru the countless taxes- if it were not for these people, the very essence of UP, not just UPCM, would not exist. Furthermore, UST beats the crap out of UP Med when it comes to patient doctor interaction and theoreticals. Alam naman natin kung bakit- burn out na ang mga doctors sa charity patients ng PGH (even if they know that their health is in their hands). Hindi ho ako doktor pero pagnakakatrabaho ko po sila sa pasyente, the patient with a kind and humble doctor seems to have a better prognosis. Di ho ba mas nakakabuti sa ating mga taga UP kung humble po tayo- tandaan po ninyo na kayo ang nagsimula ng diskusyon na ito sa remark ninyo kahit na alam po nating reaction yon talaga kay AurA (na bagamat nakakaasar eh kawawa naman po dahil binara ng todo).

Anyways- regarding the issues in this thread

the ones posted here were far more comprehensive data although I used to really remember the lady in the admissions office to file it as early as one could- so no harm perhaps in filing it as early as now right.

There was a question if they will accept april NMAT takers- I think they wont. You really have to take it this december so youd better go here na if you want to be included in the 2007 batch. So come in- excited ka na ba mag Med- ako excited na.

I just want to share this to put things in perspective...

My brother went to Intarmed in UP Manila. I went to Princeton University in New Jersey, magna cum laude. Itinuloy na ng brother ko yung Med nya sa UP Manila, although he could have went sa UCLA or Mt. Sinai. -- first choices nya. Why in UP? Low cost. The money he could've spent in medical school here in the States, he used them to travel around the world after he finished his MD. He finished all his Steps before his year-long world tour and started his residency training here after that. He is now doing his masters while specializing. Sabi nya, iba daw talaga ang mga students sa UP. I never thought and imagined the height of arrogance based sa mga stories nya. In his best friends' own words, nag-Intarmed din, ignorance-based yung arrogance ng mga taga-UP, para daw lumalabas na napaka-great accomplishment nung Intarmed, ang dali naman daw makapasok. Meron din daw na direct from high school to Medicine sa Australia, UK, Ireland, and even in the States, na mas mahirap pa ang entrance requirements. Sa UP daw, madali makapasok, ang nagpahirap lang daw kasi 40 lang ang kukunin! Kaya sabi nya, it's ridiculous, kasi they could choose 20 lang, or 10 lang, so does that make them special ? Napaka-arbitrary. Marami daw classmates nila sa Intarmed bumabagsak naman once they are in. Yung UPCAT daw hindi reliable predictor. Sa Chemistry daw ang daming bumabagsak na Intarmed students. Pero tuloy pa rin daw. Maraming brighter students na hindi nag-apply sa Intarmed. Pero what my brother and his friends didn't like, yung arrogance daw ng mga students sa UP Manila, and we compared the students from Princeton, Harvard and MIT, malayong-malayo. Sa Philippines lang daw ang UP, there is no comparison, not even a margin of comparison sa Ivy League schools dito. More so dun sa attitude and personality ng mga students. Ang comparison lang daw ng UP is with a 4th-tier university sa States, and malaki pa rin daw ang gap, as in malaking-malaki. Also, yung mga arrogant and conceited daw sa UP Med na kilala nila, they re-wrote their USMLE Steps more than once. Bagsak daw sa pre-clinical Steps, merong 3rd timer pa nga sa Step 2. Ang curriculum daw sa UP Med (and I don't know about other schools) is geared towards memorizing things and knowing raw facts, the danger is a lot of these facts will be obsolete as new research will supersede those that were previously known. Very weak daw sa research ang UP, and iba daw talaga ang approach ng mga students sa research. Iba pa rin daw ang thinking pattern. In preparing for USMLE, it takes a year, sometimes over a year mag-prepare yung UP Med students bago makapasa. Ang tagal, several months, a year or over a year, compared sa few weeks lang for other test-takers in the States. But most UP students are so cocky in an obnoxious way. My brother and his friends did not like the student atmosphere in UP. Kaya nag-masters silang lahat dito para mapatungan daw ng American degree yung degree nila sa Philippines. Yung entrance requirement lang daw ng UP ang source ng "perceived cream of the crop" ng mga students, pero mababang mababa pa rin daw compared sa International standards. Yung SAT daw, six times harder than UPCAT. My brother took SAT din. The entrance req in UP is higher than in other schools because it's taxpayers' money, very tight ang number of students na kukunin. But as university, for research and other aspects, UP is below mediocrity. This is from the views of people who have international exposure and experience. The clinical portion of UP Medicine is also very shallow, again by International standards.

And yung daw mga fil-am rich students sa UP ang nasasabihang mayayabang. But, it is the other way around. According to our fil-am family friends (who also went to UP), being a rich student in UP is perceived by local poor students as non-deserving. The rich students actually find the local poor ones very conceited, arrogant, assuming, and obnoxious. When confronted, the poor ones assume the "victim" status or "oppressed", when in fact, they started the act of provoking.

All these happen in third world country. I have lived on/off in the Philippines, and I just noticed that all my friends that I have invited sa Resort namin in the Philippines all came from wealthy families, that's by chance, because I actually select based on attitudes not on economic means. But it's probably by no chance, because local students who are not wealthy, who have no international exposure and experience, are the ones who show conceit, inappropriate attitude, lame arrogance, and pettiness. The fil-ams don't judge the locals, the locals judge the fil-ams. I'm just glad I didn't go to UP, coming from my brother and his friends who all went to UP from Intarmed to their MDs, they all prefer the students' attitude in the States, not cocky or arrogant, just plain and simple. Fil-ams who have lived in the States know what "quality" in education, attitude, and personality mean, and UP students shouldn't flatter themselves at that, because one has to go by international standards, and UP certainly is way way down in the list. A UP student who will make a contrary claim will only reinforce his/her ignorance of international standards that are in place. Viewed from outside Philippines, the quality is substandard. But it's the bargain that people are going after, knowing that beyond that, success becomes individual-based. The locals should acknowledge this reality (instead of bragging) and from here, how the health care system in the Philippines can be bettered (from being poor). It is ridiculous and sickening that a UP student mindset such as some found from this forum, perpetuates and continues to play out in governance and bureaucratic system in the country. From my brother's own words, who is a medical doctor from UP and public health specialist, the problem with the Philippines, amongst other things, is the problem of poor attitudes and mindsets of those who, while the taxpayers pay for their education, are missing the whole point of having a state university in the Philippines. Decades upon decades, this country has steadily been going downhill. The students' mindset says a lot and is but a mere reflection of the future of this country.

Fil-am

hi Mensa,

salamat sa thoughts mo..para sa akin lang, its more important to be a compassionate and competent physician regardless of what school one goes to...my goal is simple- to heal and help people... yun ang reason na gusto kong maging doc... not for image or waelth (there are far better ways to make good money), but for the real desire to make a difference in the world we live in today.

thanks for sharing your insight and personal experience. but i do hope that people who go into medicine will go into it for the sake of the people they will be serving. It shouldnt be about status, name of school or money- but the heart.

My brother went to Intarmed in UP Manila. I went to Princeton University in New Jersey, magna cum laude. Itinuloy na ng brother ko yung Med nya sa UP Manila, although he could have went sa UCLA or Mt. Sinai. -- first choices nya. Why in UP? Low cost. The money he could've spent in medical school here in the States, he used them to travel around the world after he finished his MD. He finished all his Steps before his year-long world tour and started his residency training here after that. He is now doing his masters while specializing. Sabi nya, iba daw talaga ang mga students sa UP. I never thought and imagined the height of arrogance based sa mga stories nya. In his best friends' own words, nag-Intarmed din, ignorance-based yung arrogance ng mga taga-UP, para daw lumalabas na napaka-great accomplishment nung Intarmed, ang dali naman daw makapasok. Meron din daw na direct from high school to Medicine sa Australia, UK, Ireland, and even in the States, na mas mahirap pa ang entrance requirements. Sa UP daw, madali makapasok, ang nagpahirap lang daw kasi 40 lang ang kukunin! Kaya sabi nya, it's ridiculous, kasi they could choose 20 lang, or 10 lang, so does that make them special ? Napaka-arbitrary. Marami daw classmates nila sa Intarmed bumabagsak naman once they are in. Yung UPCAT daw hindi reliable predictor. Sa Chemistry daw ang daming bumabagsak na Intarmed students. Pero tuloy pa rin daw. Maraming brighter students na hindi nag-apply sa Intarmed. Pero what my brother and his friends didn't like, yung arrogance daw ng mga students sa UP Manila, and we compared the students from Princeton, Harvard and MIT, malayong-malayo. Sa Philippines lang daw ang UP, there is no comparison, not even a margin of comparison sa Ivy League schools dito. More so dun sa attitude and personality ng mga students. Ang comparison lang daw ng UP is with a 4th-tier university sa States, and malaki pa rin daw ang gap, as in malaking-malaki. Also, yung mga arrogant and conceited daw sa UP Med na kilala nila, they re-wrote their USMLE Steps more than once. Bagsak daw sa pre-clinical Steps, merong 3rd timer pa nga sa Step 2. Ang curriculum daw sa UP Med (and I don't know about other schools) is geared towards memorizing things and knowing raw facts, the danger is a lot of these facts will be obsolete as new research will supersede those that were previously known. Very weak daw sa research ang UP, and iba daw talaga ang approach ng mga students sa research. Iba pa rin daw ang thinking pattern. In preparing for USMLE, it takes a year, sometimes over a year mag-prepare yung UP Med students bago makapasa. Ang tagal, several months, a year or over a year, compared sa few weeks lang for other test-takers in the States. But most UP students are so cocky in an obnoxious way. My brother and his friends did not like the student atmosphere in UP. Kaya nag-masters silang lahat dito para mapatungan daw ng American degree yung degree nila sa Philippines. Yung entrance requirement lang daw ng UP ang source ng "perceived cream of the crop" ng mga students, pero mababang mababa pa rin daw compared sa International standards. Yung SAT daw, six times harder than UPCAT. My brother took SAT din. The entrance req in UP is higher than in other schools because it's taxpayers' money, very tight ang number of students na kukunin. But as university, for research and other aspects, UP is below mediocrity. This is from the views of people who have international exposure and experience. The clinical portion of UP Medicine is also very shallow, again by International standards.

And yung daw mga fil-am rich students sa UP ang nasasabihang mayayabang. But, it is the other way around. According to our fil-am family friends (who also went to UP), being a rich student in UP is perceived by local poor students as non-deserving. The rich students actually find the local poor ones very conceited, arrogant, assuming, and obnoxious. When confronted, the poor ones assume the "victim" status or "oppressed", when in fact, they started the act of provoking.

All these happen in third world country. I have lived on/off in the Philippines, and I just noticed that all my friends that I have invited sa Resort namin in the Philippines all came from wealthy families, that's by chance, because I actually select based on attitudes not on economic means. But it's probably by no chance, because local students who are not wealthy, who have no international exposure and experience, are the ones who show conceit, inappropriate attitude, lame arrogance, and pettiness. The fil-ams don't judge the locals, the locals judge the fil-ams. I'm just glad I didn't go to UP, coming from my brother and his friends who all went to UP from Intarmed to their MDs, they all prefer the students' attitude in the States, not cocky or arrogant, just plain and simple. Fil-ams who have lived in the States know what "quality" in education, attitude, and personality mean, and UP students shouldn't flatter themselves at that, because one has to go by international standards, and UP certainly is way way down in the list. A UP student who will make a contrary claim will only reinforce his/her ignorance of international standards that are in place. Viewed from outside Philippines, the quality is substandard. But it's the bargain that people are going after, knowing that beyond that, success becomes individual-based. The locals should acknowledge this reality (instead of bragging) and from here, how the health care system in the Philippines can be bettered (from being poor). It is ridiculous and sickening that a UP student mindset such as some found from this forum, perpetuates and continues to play out in governance and bureaucratic system in the country. From my brother's own words, who is a medical doctor from UP and public health specialist, the problem with the Philippines, amongst other things, is the problem of poor attitudes and mindsets of those who, while the taxpayers pay for their education, are missing the whole point of having a state university in the Philippines. Decades upon decades, this country has steadily been going downhill. The students' mindset says a lot and is but a mere reflection of the future of this country.

Fil-am
If this is true, then my intentions of applying to med school in the Philippines have just gone down the toilet.

How can your brother pass up going to UCLA or Mt. Sinai for UP?

phlipsquad,
Congrats on completing your first year at UST. Currently, I am doing as much research as I can on med schools (both here and in the Philippines), and just wanted to get your opinion.

-Overall, how satisfied are you at UST? Would you still have chosen UST if you had to do it all over again? And in comparison to schools like UERM or St. Luke's, how would you rate the education, teaching hospital, and student life?

Thanks.

[B said:
JoshuaChoi;4209636[/B]]

Although UP Manila is the cheapest on the planet, at US$500 (Php 12,500 x 2 semesters) per year tuition (US$1,000 if you add $400 semesterl foreign fee), UST is still value-for-money school.

I have nothing about UST, but I'm curious what made you say it is "still value for money." can you elaborate this? I am hoping you did not compare it with UP-CM because of you did, that would be an intriguing comment.

De La Salle is in Cavite, now how far is that from Manila ? ...
To give you an idea... it's about the same drive (time allocation) from downtown SF to Berkeley. Not that far really.

Am obsessed as well- thing is, UP really sets the balance when it comes to tuition and quality education (that includes the good practice as well)
agree.

UST is excellent when it comes to the theoreticals and patient- doctor interaction- hats off to the highest levels not to mention the school spirit unlike UP
I've always thought that UP grads are the proudest... and the most arrogant... not just in the field of medicine but in any field there is.

there may be "other" great schools out there, but i was just stating a well-known fact that nothing really beats UP medicine.

and if you don't have an "M.D." after your name yet, i don't think i should even argue with you.

dr. morgagni

I have to agree with this post. I mean, if you know very well about the set-up here in the Philippines, you wouldn't assess his post "mayabang". The reality here is, many "elite" med aspirants are much willing to break arms just to get into THE UP College of Medicine.

To give you an idea how this school stand over and above the "others"... it is the only Philippine school that can attract the vale/salu of the TOP 10 high schools in the Philippines. This is the only Philippine school where the vale and or salu of the Phillipine Science HS, La Salle Greenhills & Zobel, UP Integrated School (& Rural-LB), Poveda, Manila Science HS, Colegio de San Agustin Makati, International School Manila and Ateneo High School become classmates, working their studies in harmony. This may sound arrogant but the truth is, a school like UST cannot attract students of their kind.

In the Philippines, UP is above from the rest. All its programs are next to none. The second spot is a very far distant and is a hotly contested spot, meaning, there's no clear second, among De La Salle, UST and Ateneo.

This is how the ranking goes:

PRESTIGE:
1. UP
2. DLSU/Ateneo
3. UST/UA&P

SELECTIVITY:
1. UP
2. Ateneo/La Salle
4. UA&P
5. UST

MEDICINE:
1. UP
2. UST
3. CIM
4. La Salle

LAW:
1. UP
2. Ateneo
3. San Beda

BUSINESS/FINANCE/ACCOUNTANCY/MARKETING/MANAGEMENT
1. UP
2. La Salle
3. Ateneo
4. UA&P

ENGINEERING:
1. UP
2. DLSU
3. MIT

OVERALL:
1. UP
2. LA Salle
3. Ateneo/UST

----------

A fact is a fact no matter how you try to twist it, it would remain a fact. With that note, let's try to keep cool.

Peace.

I have to agree with this post. I mean, if you know very well about the set-up here in the Philippines, you wouldn't assess his post "mayabang". The reality here is, many "elite" med aspirants are much willing to break arms just to get into THE UP College of Medicine.

To give you an idea how this school stand over and above the "others"... it is the only Philippine school that can attract the vale/salu of the TOP 10 high schools in the Philippines. This is the only Philippine school where the vale and or salu of the Phillipine Science HS, La Salle Greenhills & Zobel, UP Integrated School (& Rural-LB), Poveda, Manila Science HS, Colegio de San Agustin Makati, International School Manila and Ateneo High School become classmates, working their studies in harmony. This may sound arrogant but the truth is, a school like UST cannot attract students of their kind.

In the Philippines, UP is above from the rest. All its programs are next to none. The second spot is a very far distant and is a hotly contested spot, meaning, there's no clear second, among De La Salle, UST and Ateneo.

This is the ranking goes:

PRESTIGE:
1. UP
2. DLSU/Ateneo
3. UST/UA&P

SELECTIVITY:
1. UP
2. Ateneo/La Salle
4. UA&P
5. UST

MEDICINE:
1. UP
2. UST
3. CIM
4. La Salle

LAW:
1. UP
2. Ateneo
3. San Beda

BUSINESS/FINANCE/ACCOUNTANCY/MARKETING/MANAGEMENT
1. UP
2. La Salle
3. Ateneo
4. UA&P

ENGINEERING:
1. UP
2. DLSU
3. MIT

OVERALL:
1. UP
2. LA Salle
3. Ateneo/UST

Perhaps it is true that UP is the best school in the Philippines. I just believe that this could have been communicated in a better manner. I stand by my opinion that morgagni is mayabang.

Please don't hate me for saying this.

In whatever angle you wanna see it, UP is > than UST. And the distance is wide. This is a no brainer. So please let us not argue anymore about this. It would only make things worse. If you want a sensible discussion, just argue and/or explain why UST deserves to be the next best med school. But don't let us believe that UST is better than UP because it is NOT -- in all aspects -- no matter what criteria you're using.

The TOP aspirants -- as in the really, really TOP ones -- the ones who graduate with cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude... those MENSA members... those members of honor societies... those "who's who" in their respective colleges... they all aspire to enter UP-CM. Even UST's top graduates want to go to UP-CM than to their own. (Ask around where the summas of UST went for their med studies.) These geniuses are NOT stupid to choose UP if it's not the best. And take note that only the best can apply to UP-CM in the first place. (To be an applicant alone requires a high level of requirements … what more for the accepted…)

With this note, let's not argue which is the better school because there is already a clear answer to that.

There are several good medical schools in the Philippines and UST is absolutely among them. UST is a fine school and it has a good reputation in the medical world. But to say it is the best is just an overstatement.

UP is number one. Let's leave it that way because that is the fact. Those brilliant students would not have it as their first choice if it wasn't number one.

Peace to all. Now let's go back to regular programming.

:D

Perhaps it is true that UP is the best school in the Philippines. I just believe that this could have been communicated in a better manner. I stand by my opinion that morgagni is mayabang.

Hi RaaMD,

I think what you have with morgagni is just between to 2 of you. But I hope you sort things out soon. :D Whe're you from?

If this is true, then my intentions of applying to med school in the Philippines have just gone down the toilet.

How can your brother pass up going to UCLA or Mt. Sinai for UP?

I also got into several prestigious schools in the US and UK and I turned down the offers for a UP education. I got into Yale, CAL Berkeley, Stanford, USC, Dartmouth, among others. Money was not a problem for me. I chose UP because I wanted to stay home and I never regretted that decision.

I also have friends in UP who got offers from UCLA, Duke, Columbia and NYU. A good friend of mine was the top guy at Brent International School in 2000. He got offers from Yale and NYU but he chose to stay. Another friend of mine graduated from La Salle Greenhills (ranked 7th in the class) received offers from UCLA, Amherst, Boston College, Colgate and Columbia. He chose UP.

Choosing UP over the ivy is not really an unusual scenario here in UP though for some who did not understand why... that would surely hard to fathom.

In the global scene, UP is not “Harvard” or anything near it. But for people who would want to stay home, it is the best choice.

And about the issue of arrogance... hmmnn... i bilieve they're everwhere.

bakekang,

-Everyone knows that UP is the best in everything, you don't need to convince us. However, I just want to remind you that not everyone is as privileged as you - to be accepted into some of the best Medical colleges in world, and to not have "money" being a major issue. With that being said, it is better to discuss the University of the Philippines by itself, rather than in the context of other schools. Because we all know that they would pale in comparison.

-By the way, some people on this forum come from families that have traditionally attended the private schools (UST, Ateneo, and DLSU). For some of us, it's a matter of maintaining tradition and legacies to attend these schools, not necessarily because we aren't privileged enough to attend UP. Some of us just prefer the private schools.

Masyado na pong ang mga emosyon natin, kasalanan lahat ni AurA ito (Ahahahaha)

Most that I am going to say is in Tagalog as the emotions best befit them...

About ASMPH- they are requiring their students to have biology, molecular biology (separate) and other hard science units (even intro to epidemiology which they will be compensating on a "transition program")

Ang sa akin, isnt it a little unfair that they ask this from non Ateneo premed students yet experts in the "REAL" health sciences like nursing, pharmacy, medtech/ public health, PT, OT, Midwifery and other hard core (allied) medical sciences- one notes the term REAL because they have a course called "BS Health Sciences" but really, I dont know what that is for (Sablay ang curriculum nung nakita ko)... and to think they even said "We are not the school that you go to because you didn't get accepted to the medical school of your priority choice". Isnt it a little too mayabang of Ateneo to demand these of their prospective/ incoming students. Truth be told, they are selling their school of medicine and they make it hard for students to be interested in it. Buti na lang pala at may leadership and management course kami sa nursing to (hopefully and somehow) compensate for a management unit they are asking of the incoming freshmen med students.

It is the case that it is normal for a new school (of medicine) to be second or even 5th rate/ choice as compared to the really established medical schools like UP, UST, UERM, PLM and FEU. The ones most likely to be accepted in the school are those they have prepared with the above mentioned requisites and most likely the ones in their BS Health Sciences Program. Nagtayo pa sila ng eskwelahan kung sa kanila rin pala kukuha ng mga papasok diba? Putsa eh kung kami nga eh 18 years old pa lang eh humahawak na ng pasyente at nakikipaglanghapan na ng hininga ng may TB at batak na sa trabaho sa ospital eh hindi tatanggapin, eh paano na mangyayari dun sa inaasam asam nilang mag produce ng "doctors of the future"? Nagsasayang lang sila ng talagang mga deserving na estudyante na may kagustuhang mag medisina. Conspiracy theory, one might think, they will get the best students there are in this batch since "ASMPH is not a second rate- fifth choice school of medicine" and claim that if ever they produce good doctors its because of the school and not because of the students who are supposedly, in the first place, "the best" to begin with. Just think of the saying "ako ang nagbayo, ako ang nag saing- iba ang kumain".

Nakakapanghinayang lang naman kasi if you want to keep your options for a school of medicine. This is enough to upset an "IN fairness..." phrase even if they have a Masters in Management degree to offer with an MD. Sobra naman ang hinihingi nila sa incoming students nila eh wala pa nga silang napapatunayan (ni hindi pa nga gawa ang curriculum nila eh).

To focus in the here and now (regular programming)
What is your schedule for reviewing for the NMAT?

Dun sa post ko sa taas, modesty aside yon at kung magagalit lang kayo, siguraduhin nyong nasa posisyon kayo at alam nyo pinagsasasabi nyo kung gusto nyo ng argumento- katatapos lang ng duty ko sa PACU kaya mataas pa ang burn out level ko!!!!!!!........ (joke only- then again, jokes are half ment):D

Bueno
Will be inquiring how to make a poll here... better yet, to those who will be taking the NMAT this december for Medical Academic Year 2007- 2008, what pre med courses are you taking?

Hello to potential classmates in medschool (whether UP, UST, UERM, PLM or... Ateneo... hmmmmm.....)- hoping we will all still be friends even if fate separates our alma maters

bakekang,

-Everyone knows that UP is the best in everything, you don't need to convince us. However, I just want to remind you that not everyone is as privileged as you - to be accepted into some of the best Medical colleges in world, and to not have "money" being a major issue. With that being said, it is better to discuss the University of the Philippines by itself, rather than in the context of other schools. Because we all know that they would pale in comparison.

-By the way, some people on this forum come from families that have traditionally attended the private schools (UST, Ateneo, and DLSU). For some of us, it's a matter of maintaining tradition and legacies to attend these schools, not necessarily because we aren't privileged enough to attend UP.
Point taken ROA12. Thank you for clearing that up.

Some of us just prefer the private schools.
Ok, allow me to comment on this.

The Philippines is not like the US where there's a separation between state-run (public) and private schools. I'm talking about perception here. I am very much aware that in the US, a school like Stanford is treated with much higher regard than a school like UC Berkeley even though both are inseparable in academic standard simply because the former is a private while the latter is a public.

In the Philippines, that sort of thing does not apply to UP. Why? Because UP is the NATIONAL University, which means to say that it is not just another state u. It is the Philippines premier institution of higher learning. UP is what is NUS to Singapore or University of Tokyo to Japan or Oxford/Cambridge to UK. I know that there's nothing like it in the US and a person like you would have a hard time understanding this thing. Nonetheless, I admire that you’re fast catching up with what we’re trying to tell you. Good luck on your application and I hope you’ll make it to the school of your choice.

Cheers!

JoshuaChoi
- UST students are allowed to do their electives and/or clerkship outside the country. (UST has four-year MD curriculum which already includes the internship -- not internship on top of the four-year and that'll make it five-year, eg. St. Luke's)

correction.

UST has a four year curriculum, EXCLUDING INTERNSHIP. the last year (4th yr) is called clinical CLERKSHIP (which you have to spend at the UST Hospital & other outside rotations). clerkship and internship are 2 different levels. do not confuse them.

in internship, you get to choose your hospital. you are already conferred the degree DOCTOR OF MEDICINE but you do not have a license yet coz completion of internship in a span of 1 year is a requirement to take the local licensure exams.

off topic: congratulations to the UST Growling Tigers for winning the men's basketball! :)

Hi,
Im in ust med, I never took pyschology or statistics. I think ust is lenient with their entrance requirements if you are fil-am or foreigner. I guess the 10 thou donation fee is an incentive for them to accept you. Do not get me wrong though. They select qualified applicants but their selection criteria for foreigners are slightly less stringent than the locals.

P.S. Im a second year and I am so unhappy with med right now! I have no life and it seems like my world revolves around study.ARGH !!!! I MISS HOME and 2nd year is super hard! I HATE PHARMACOLOGY! I respect pharmacists now!

well if you dont have life now, it'll be worse when you're into your clerkship & internship (& in the rest of your training). you'll be saying good byes to weekends, holidays, sem breaks & vacations (& even to the comforts of your own room) coz you'll be at the hospital on (24 hr) duty.

this is just a reality check. but if u are enjoying what you're doing (& toxicity keeps you going) well then go for it. :)

una sa lahat, hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagamitin kong medyum dito sa pagsusulat dito; kung filipino ba o ingles. pero bilang isang iskolar ng bayan (woohoo! mabuhay ang mga iskolar ng bayan! :D ), sa tingin ko eh mas maganda kung gagamitin ko ang ating sariling wika, kahit dito man lang sa unang sinulat ko.

magpapakilala sana muna ako. ako nga pala si isko_elbi. sa lahat ng nakakaintindi ng filipino, mabuhay kayong lahat. :D ako'y isang estudyante ng biology sa university of the philippines at los baños. (mahirap tagalugin yun kaya pagbigyan niyo na)

sa darating na panibagong taon ng pag-aaral (2007-2008), ako ay umaasang maging isang estudyante ng medisina. nawa ay marami akong matutunan mula sa inyo, at gayon din kayo sa akin (sana nga may matutunan din kayo sa akin :D ).

hanggang dito lang muna siguro. baka nababadtrip na sa akin yung mga hindi nakakaintindi ng filipino. :D wag silang mag-alala, yung mga susunod kong isusulat ay sa salitang ingles na. pero baka mas maikli kaysa dito kasi dumudugo ilong ko pag nagsasalita ako ng ingles. :D (juk lang)

maraming salamat sa mga nagtiyagang magbasa ng sinulat kong ito. mabuhay ka! :D

Any korean-American med students in the phil?
is FEU better than UST?
in international standard that is...
I'd like to know the facts please

una sa lahat, hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagamitin kong medyum dito sa pagsusulat dito; kung filipino ba o ingles. pero bilang isang iskolar ng bayan (woohoo! mabuhay ang mga iskolar ng bayan! :D ), sa tingin ko eh mas maganda kung gagamitin ko ang ating sariling wika, kahit dito man lang sa unang sinulat ko.

magpapakilala sana muna ako. ako nga pala si isko_elbi. sa lahat ng nakakaintindi ng filipino, mabuhay kayong lahat. :D ako'y isang estudyante ng biology sa university of the philippines at los baños. (mahirap tagalugin yun kaya pagbigyan niyo na)

sa darating na panibagong taon ng pag-aaral (2007-2008), ako ay umaasang maging isang estudyante ng medisina. nawa ay marami akong matutunan mula sa inyo, at gayon din kayo sa akin (sana nga may matutunan din kayo sa akin :D ).

hanggang dito lang muna siguro. baka nababadtrip na sa akin yung mga hindi nakakaintindi ng filipino. :D wag silang mag-alala, yung mga susunod kong isusulat ay sa salitang ingles na. pero baka mas maikli kaysa dito kasi dumudugo ilong ko pag nagsasalita ako ng ingles. :D (juk lang)

maraming salamat sa mga nagtiyagang magbasa ng sinulat kong ito. mabuhay ka! :D

Maraming salamat, isko_elbi, sa message mo! Welcome! Malalamin naman ang tagalog mo. Nasa states ako pero nagaraal din ako sa UP Los Banos for one semester. Naalala ko ang experience ko sa Los banos, esp walking around the stores in the vicinity at mga excursions ko sa Mt Makiling, Taal Lake, etc.

Saan gusto mong magmed? Sige, ingat ka dyan, good luck kung may exams ka at welcome!

Alam mo- nung una, nagtagalog din ako tapos nun, may nagsabi sa akin na dapat daw "...you should speak in english because not all students here can understand Tagalog..."- napahiya ako dun.

Anyways, magandang gabi potensyal kong kaklase sa medisina. Iniisip kong marahil ay gusto mo ring pumasok sa Unibersidad ng Pilipinas, Maynila- Kolehiyo ng Medisina.

Naway maging magkaklase tayo. Nakuha mo na ba ang NMAT mo?

Hey there docs....I encourage all of you foreign physicians out there, to attend a J-1 & H-1B Physician Conference. They are VERY beneficial to your immigration status. Please visit www.j1conference.com for more details. There is a conference in Baltimore, MD on Oct. 14th, a conference in Cleveland, OH on Oct. 28th and a conference in Houston, TX on Nov. 11th. Top Immigration officials from around the country come to assist you in better understanding your immigration options.

We hope to see you at a conference soon!

Woah, I didn't expect that. Everyone needs to calm down.

First of all, as this is a forum on Philippine med schools, I just wanted to include Ateneo to the mix, and yes, most probably because of my loyalty and experience with the school. What's wrong with that? I never said that ASMPH would be perfect. All schools have its flaws. I'm sure you've all had complaints regarding your schools, medical or otherwise. I have friends in other medical schools and they complain too, mostly about the facilities. No harm in wanting better ones. And if the excuse is that they want us 'trained to be resourceful', what good would our ignorance, or rather 'resourcefulness', be if we want to get into big hospitals abroad? When I said experience, I meant the experience OF Ateneo as a medical school and NOT the experience of the students. And if people didn't notice or understand, I admitted that lack of experience was one of their flaws. It still has a lot to prove.

It's true that respect and professionalism are not things you learn from any school. But if you get the respect and admiration of doctors and patients, it's not enough if you can't translate this into something more practical. If with that you can create well-designed and well-organized programs that will help your community or hospital, how can you if you have no knowledge in management. You may think it's easy and common sense, but it's not. If you've tried taking a management course, you'll realize that things can be done more efficiently without being 'cold-hearted' and 'business-like' all the time. Management is not the same as business. Good management is not just about how to make money, but it's more about the PEOPLE who are involved in running it and how things operate.

Why are people so close-minded about having a management course anyway? Who knows? We might not know what we're missing.

And for the record, I didn't start the UP vs everyone else issue...that wasn't my fault. :D

But I wonder if i'll get more violent reactions with this one...no need to be hostile people!

For hentaisocrnmdph:
I shouldn't be answering your questions after laughing at me, but I'm not that person.

"Are the risks inhibiting you from attending ASMPH?" clearly, you did not understand my post. I'm already a third year in UST. Loyalty is binding but I am not stupid. If I were, I'd have to stop in the middle of clerkship to transfer and be a freshman again.

"what course did you take up in Ateneo and was that your premed course" BS Biology was my premed course in Ateneo.

"where else will you be applying other than UST?" Three years ago, I also applied to UP and UE.

I never said that ASMPH would be perfect.
You better not be because it's very far from it. It has lots of flaws and flaps. Several of its new programs were big a flap, most notable of which is their engineering programs. :smuggrin:

Three years ago, I also applied to UP and UE.
I'm sure as hell that you did not get into UP. :laugh:

First of all, as this is a forum on Philippine med schools, I just wanted to include Ateneo to the mix, and yes, most probably because of my loyalty and experience with the school. What's wrong with that? I never said that ASMPH would be perfect. All schools have its flaws. I'm sure you've all had complaints regarding your schools, medical or otherwise. I have friends in other medical schools and they complain too, mostly about the facilities. No harm in wanting better ones. And if the excuse is that they want us 'trained to be resourceful', what good would our ignorance, or rather 'resourcefulness', be if we want to get into big hospitals abroad? When I said experience, I meant the experience OF Ateneo as a medical school and NOT the experience of the students. And if people didn't notice or understand, I admitted that lack of experience was one of their flaws. It still has a lot to prove.

It's true that respect and professionalism are not things you learn from any school. But if you get the respect and admiration of doctors and patients, it's not enough if you can't translate this into something more practical. If with that you can create well-designed and well-organized programs that will help your community or hospital, how can you if you have no knowledge in management. You may think it's easy and common sense, but it's not. If you've tried taking a management course, you'll realize that things can be done more efficiently without being 'cold-hearted' and 'business-like' all the time. Management is not the same as business. Good management is not just about how to make money, but it's more about the PEOPLE who are involved in running it and how things operate.

Why are people so close-minded about having a management course anyway? Who knows? We might not know what we're missing.

And for the record, I didn't start the UP vs everyone else issue...that wasn't my fault. :D

But I wonder if i'll get more violent reactions with this one...no need to be hostile people!

For hentaisocrnmdph:
I shouldn't be answering your questions after laughing at me, but I'm not that person.

"Are the risks inhibiting you from attending ASMPH?" clearly, you did not understand my post. I'm already a third year in UST. Loyalty is binding but I am not stupid. If I were, I'd have to stop in the middle of clerkship to transfer and be a freshman again.

"what course did you take up in Ateneo and was that your premed course" BS Biology was my premed course in Ateneo.

"where else will you be applying other than UST?" Three years ago, I also applied to UP and UE.

Meron bang management subjects ang BS BIO ng Ateneo?

to MedKev:

maraming salamat din po sa mainit na pagtanggap! :D may ilan lang po akong gustong itanong sa inyo:

1) bakit po saglit lang kayo nag aral dito sa UP Los Baños?
2) ano pong course ang kinuha niyo?
3) babae ka po ba o lalake? (pasensya na po, hindi ko talaga alam eh :D )

sa ngayon po, nag apply na po ako sa uerm at sa st. luke's. ano po pala ginagawa niyo diyan sa estados unidos?

maraming salamat muli! :D

to hentaisocrnmdph:

kapwa isko, malungkot mang isipin pero hindi ako nagtangkang mag-apply sa UP-CM. kung gusto mong malaman kung bakit, mas mabuti pa siguro kung atin-atin na lang. :D

nakakuha na ako ng NMAT nung nakaraang Disyembre 2005. kung hindi man tayo maging mag kaklase sa parehong paaralan, ninanais ko pa ring ikaw ay makadaupang-palad ko. :D

maaari ko bang malaman kung saan-saang paaralan ka nag-apply?

have a blessed day everyone! :D

to MedKev:

maraming salamat din po sa mainit na pagtanggap! :D may ilan lang po akong gustong itanong sa inyo:

sa ngayon po, nag apply na po ako sa uerm at sa st. luke's. ano po pala ginagawa niyo diyan sa estados unidos?

to hentaisocrnmdph:

kapwa isko, malungkot mang isipin pero hindi ako nagtangkang mag-apply sa UP-CM. kung gusto mong malaman kung bakit, mas mabuti pa siguro kung atin-atin na lang. :D

nakakuha na ako ng NMAT nung nakaraang Disyembre 2005. kung hindi man tayo maging mag kaklase sa parehong paaralan, ninanais ko pa ring ikaw ay makadaupang-palad ko. :D

maaari ko bang malaman kung saan-saang paaralan ka nag-apply?

have a blessed day everyone! :D

mag aaply pa lang ako sa UST, UP, UERM at baka sa Ateneo- o kung hindi eh baka mag trabaho muna ako sa PGH bilang isang nurse. guluck sa medicine.

mag aaply pa lang ako sa UST, UP, UERM at baka sa Ateneo- o kung hindi eh baka mag trabaho muna ako sa PGH bilang isang nurse. guluck sa medicine.

ah uu. bata pa naman tayo pwede pa mag antay yung pagdodoktor. :D

ako din magtatrabaho ngayong november hanggang april siguro.

to MedKev:

Kamusta na Isko,

Sumali ako sa isang study abroad program sa UPLB kaya saglit lang ang studies ko sa UPLB- isang sem lang. Nagaral ako ng history sa UPLB. Pero naggraduate ako sa Univ. of California. Nagtrabaho ako pagkatapos ng grad, pero ngayon gusto kong magapply sa UST 2007 Med. Sana maging classmates tayo sa UST...hehe :). oh, lalaki ako...hehe. Sige ingat ka dyan at gdluck...

Does anyone know how important the Letters of Recommendation are when applying to UST, UERM or St. Lukes or in general? I graduated a while ago and now it seems a bit difficult to get LOR now. Any help/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Does anyone know how important the Letters of Recommendation are when applying to UST, UERM or St. Lukes or in general? I graduated a while ago and now it seems a bit difficult to get LOR now. Any help/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

I think it is very important that you accomplish these letters now- some offices here in the Philippines will be closing by this time as it is nearing a semestral transition. UST proposed their deadlines based on the surnames of the prospective students so you might want to hurry up about that. I think there is special mention of the dean or department head or whatever. I am not that sure on that. Please prioritize the UST forms as they have the earliest deadline. The transcript of records are to be submitted for the first 3.5 years of BS/ BA degree before the 10th of December- I think (again).

st luke's-cm requires 2 certificates of good moral character/letters of recommendation from the dean, guidance counselor or student affairs; as for uerm, they require that the letters/certificates be written by 2 former professors.

hi i was just wondering why FEU is not in the ranks of one of the good medical school here in the Philippines? Because there are a lot of doctors who are saying that FEU is a good medical school