filipino med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i heard it's possible to take the basic sciences examination after second year but i haven't met anyone who's done this yet. would be ballsy and pretty interesting if anyone ever did.

Yes, you can take Step1 after you finish your 2nd year. Local boards, no.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to all... I'd just like to add a testimonial in behalf of ASMPH.

I'm a graduate of ADMU BS BIO '06, and have long since wanted to become a doctor. Before ADMU, I wanted to study in the US, if not for the cost, considering Johns Hopkins as my 1st choice. I eventually completed my undergrad here in the Phils. But from the beginning, i guess my vision has been the same - that is, to work here in the Philippines in service of the poor (and my nation). Eventually, i believe it's vision (end goal) and motivation that will help one choose his/her school. What's yours?

I know for a fact that many of my peers chose to delay a year of studies for ASMPH because the vision of this institution is congruent with much of their goals. Many of us graduated with honors and obtained NMAT scores well above 90 (i got 99+). Last SY, a couple were accepted in UPCM, and all were accepted in other schools they applied to with scholarships offered, some full. Many are not exactly well-off, yet they chose to wait to enter ASMPH. Point here is that we know we're not making a stupid decision; we simply knew what we wanted. Yes, even those who cannot afford a relatively high tuition (comparable to UST) looked for ways to pursue this direction. They looked for sponsors and scholarships, effortfully.

What makes us so sure? We're not. But we have enough reason to trust and believe that this was worth the step backward in order to make a good leap forward. The plan for this institution was conceived over a decade ago, 1994 to be precise. Much discernment was done. Much study and planning was done as well. ASMPH eventually distinguishes itself as dually offering a masters degree in management, quite similar to Harvard Med, only because there's a need for it in the Philippines right now - doctors more equipped to respond to calls of service beyond the clinic/hospital, maybe as an NGO health-worker or even in direct service of the country with the government (DOH). For many, who really want to become doctors to be of service to the poor... especially in the Philippines (where so many doctors, urban and more so rural, have already left)... I think such a program gearing towards a vision is enough to make that first consideration to wait for ASMPH.

Of course at the end of it, we ourselves asked whether something as a whole new program might really work. We have in fact tried to scrutinize and question the authorities and administration, and with all transparency, they did not hesitate to inform us of the delays/problems and progresses. To put it simply, we knew what was going on. We knew that the curriculum has been already largely completed, with that up to the second year finalized. We knew there were problems with the land initially that led to delays in construction, and they openly discussed the options available, with the final decision to shuttle us back and forth between Rockwell and Ortigas.

Despite some failures, we also have reason to trust that the Jesuits and the Ateneo will provide the best for the students' sake, as well as for the preservation of the school's name. Meanwhile, many of us aspiring students (though uncertain if we will be accepted) are collectively doing our part to make the school a success, bringing to the fore ideals and concrete ideas we hope for the school, even before the school year has begun. Eventually, the students have to be equally responsible for themselves as much as they'd want and expect the administration/authorities to spoon feed them.

I think at the end of it all, we have to ask ourselves what we think would work best for us, and what will best help form us the way we'd want ourselves to be. It is only then that we can start working towards those goals, starting by working towards getting into the institution you deem fit and in line with your vision.

Some clarifications for those uncertain:
1) The ASMPH dual degree program takes five (5) years, INCLUDING internship. Unlike other medschools however, the M.D. is given only after internship, that it may be given together with the masters degree upon graduation.
2) ASMPH's main hospital is Medical City, but it is also affiliated with public hospitals such as Quirino Memorial Medical Center and some others I can't recall. Students will be exposed to clinic conditions as early as the first year. They'll be rotating the students between the different hospitals.

As an aside, i think in time, demand for doctors in the Philippines will increase (hopefully), such that salaries will also be increased, and more would decide to stay here than leave for other countries ("first world"). Few qualified doctors are left in very rural places in the Philippines. I heard that some hospitals have X-ray machines, but have to send the X-rays all the way to PGH/Manila just to be interpreted by a radiologist. You get the point.

God bless you all!
First of all, I like the idea of ASMPH and I think it will be an excellent school.
However, I can sense some inconsistency here. Why do you want to study in the United States and serve in the poor in the rural areas? It's a foolish way to waste money as you can serve the poor from any school.
Post again after 15 years. I have corresponded even those working for the DTTB (Doctors to the Barrios) and many of them are burned out and are ready to move on (some are even applying overseas). It's different once you have a growing family. Also it's naive to think that things will improve much in the rural areas. Just look at all the politicians they are electing. Remember that these politicians are now in control of local health budgets (due to the stupid decentralization idea) and they can do what they want with doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm included in the UST Med final list of accepted applicants. About 47 students were in the list. I'm so happy! :)

First of all, I like the idea of ASMPH and I think it will be an excellent school.
However, I can sense some inconsistency here. Why do you want to study in the United States and serve in the poor in the rural areas? It's a foolish way to waste money as you can serve the poor from any school.
Post again after 15 years. I have corresponded even those working for the DTTB (Doctors to the Barrios) and many of them are burned out and are ready to move on (some are even applying overseas). It's different once you have a growing family. Also it's naive to think that things will improve much in the rural areas. Just look at all the politicians they are electing. Remember that these politicians are now in control of local health budgets (due to the stupid decentralization idea) and they can do what they want with doctors.

Hello Tantrum...

I finished Junior College in Singapore and was qualified for some of the good schools in the US. That time (before 2001), the brain drain of local health workers wasn't yet as significant as it is now. I was then still idealistically thinking that it'd benefit to bring technology back to the Philippines. But precisely now, there is the more pressing issue of DTTBs leaving, out of frustration and fatigue as you mentioned.

Of course it seems an almost helpless case. But there are still quite a number of doctors who've not given up, and some future doctors who still feel there is hope only if some people would be willing to step-up and change the paradigm of health workers, for the sake of the oppressed and our very nation. We have to start from somewhere. And i think such a paradigm of nationalism and patriotism may still be possibly imbued upon the youth of today - they who are still relatively ideal, and they who are going to compose the Filipinos of the future. Slow process, but at least. Quite an idealistic thought i agree; nonetheless, as long as someone thinks this way, i think we should not think about throwing in the towel, as individuals and as a nation, too soon. Consequently, there's always a chance that good politicians (though small a chance) who are sincere may be elected. Mayor Abang Mabulo of San Fernando (a member of Christian Life Community - Philippines; see write-up http://goddessoflight.blogspot.com/2005/03/bicol-clc-transforming-lives.html#links) is one such exemplar, translating his love for his people into a concrete apostolate of service. There's always room for hope.

Of course we cannot blame people whose lives and families are at stake for their choice to look for "greener pasture"... It's everyone's right to live, and live well. This however is just as much the right of the poor and abandoned. Let's just hope they'll continue to have the opportunity to have this right as an option.

God bless...

Few qualified doctors are left in very rural places in the Philippines. I heard that some hospitals have X-ray machines, but have to send the X-rays all the way to PGH/Manila just to be interpreted by a radiologist. You get the point.

sadly, this is true. pgh overflows with patients just because turfing of the health care budget isn't done well enough. :smuggrin:

good luck with the new school!

thanks mercury.. but i checked with the embassy. it seems that St. Luke's is not on the list of accredited schools for Veteran benefits like UST and UP.. It could be because it's new, i'm not sure. but time's running out and i'm not sure if they're processing the accreditaion..btw, are you still applying for med school?

Hello everyone, I have a question...
Are there any white people in medical schools in the philippines? ...and when I say white, I mean white folks from the States, Europe, Australia or Canada...I'm just really curious...about how many of them? and which schools admit most of them?

thanks!

Are there any white people in medical schools in the philippines? ...and when I say white, I mean white folks from the States, Europe, Australia or Canada...I'm just really curious...about how many of them? and which schools admit most of them?

thanks!
In some of their classes years ago, I saw a Caucasian man in their graduation album graduating from their medical school. However, I think it's rare to see a Caucasian nowadays as most of the "foreign" admits are Fil-Ams.

Sorry was reading the stuff in the past..gonna try to answer 2 questions..and add some more stuff that might be helpful.

Hi, i don't really know where i should address this question, but i'm entering as a freshman in ust who studied overseas with an american passport, both parents fully filipino though. passed the entrance exam, easy enough, but the thing that i am worried about is the things i have to turn in to the dean. I have applied for filipino citizenship and got it, but does that mean i still have to go through the rest of the foreign student requirements such as turning in an affidavit of support, the ACR, credentials to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs, etc? Oh and I also want to know their status on the tuition fee, will i be treated as a foreign for that purpose? Thanks in advance!

I got a Dual citizen..if your talking about UST Med. Once you are recognize as filipino citizen..when u turn in your papers..u aren't considered foreign and hence aren't foreign anymore. My other friends have to pay p1k for foreign fee each time they pay for their semester class. Since i'm dual i don't pay this "foreign fee" when registering for classes. I noticed this fee when i went to pay for one of my friends last year. During the last break..i had to pay write out p1k more than me for her check...and notice the difference. So in essence you can save p8k when done with school if you are dual citizen. I know it's small but hey every bit counts. (please note i said p for pesos not dollars)

Please note this doesn't mean the $10k donation..that is going to be answered in next question.

cool forum. :)

i'm also thinking of entering medical school--preferably st.like's because most of the other good schools are closed and it's near my place. It's pretty new and of course-you have one of the leading hospitals in the PI to back you up. :) Does anyone have a rough idea on how much the tuition is?

I'm an american citizen, but i did high school and college here. Do I still have to pay the donation? From scanning the threads, some schools call it non-resident fees. But in my case, most of the admission officers call it the alien fee--i have an i-card. Do you think st.luke's will ask for some kind of fee?

My dad has VA benefits.. and i've been hearing about chapter 35 benefits for dependents.. Anybody in the same boat? I'm not earning income at the moment but I want to get into med school as early as possible and back to the states. Do you think I can convince admission officers to forgo the fee because i think chapter 35 gives out roughly $600/mo. Just enough for tuition and books.

any info will be highly appreciated. thanks!

ps--learned a lot from here. Thanks!!

When i was trying to go around the "Donation Fee" as i'll call it. I was told even though i was dual citizen i had to pay it becuase i went to school outside of PI. But my friend who was put under the foreign students but went to a undergrad in the PI..after he got his dual citizen..he didn't have to pay for it at USTMED. I had to pay for it since they said i was still foreign because i took my undergrad in the states. But am not sure since you got an I-card..if it'll work for you...and since your trying to go to St. Lukes...but this is what they did in UST Med..ask the dean.

EXTRA stuff to think about if deciding....

Also not sure, but i was told by being a Dual Citizen and classified under local i guess and not foreign. You can choose to do the 5th year like everyone else and try the board in the PI. I'm not sure..that's a difference i think u can get as being a Dual. I was told foreign people can't do their 5th year..but am not sure.

(UST Medicine current administration ie the dean and certain members aren't to Filam friendly. Chances of you going out for 4th year..gl on that. There is a growin group of doctors who have power..who don't want their students going elsewhere after they graduate in UST Medicine) A problem last month..with some of our fil-ams in Medicine I class. One video was done on how to interview and criteria..it was all in tagalog...so be warn. A couple of filams went to complain and was basically said you came here..u need to know the language. So if you plan to go to UST..please learn the language by 2nd year at least understand if not..talk also.

Please note for those considering UST Medicine (might be helpful to other school): UST medicine is hard as heck..other schools might be hard or what not. You will probably have an exam within the first two weeks if not the first week. There really isn't a time to get adjusted with a new place or school in general. Get to know your schoolmates or have a bond with them it'll help a lot. Ask the other filams higher years or in your batch for help early..not later in the end when we can't help as much.

Just saying this because the UST medicine batch 2010 filams..let's just say a good bit dropped out this year to almost half of the ones i got to know in beginning of year. I noticed a general trend if your batch is close you guys survive..if not..the ones who are close survive those on an island..u get the the idea.

Please research all the schools beforehand. Don't just go to UST because it's generally the 2nd best school. For a filam it might be better to go to another school...if you can't stand 4 year here. There are other options so please check each school and see if it's helpful for you. Remember UST medicine has a revalida...which is super hard from what i'm hearing..other schools don't have this. Also generally you might be able to get away with not learning the language in UST or other schools..but a growing number of doctors in UST that have power hate filams who don't try to learn tagalog. But u can go through UST without learning persay..but it'll be hard 4 years.

Please check though..school that you can get out for your 4th year..from what i'm hearing from other filams

St. Luke (somewhere in Hawaii), UE, FEU and Fatima..you can get out for some months if not the whole year..please check on the schools. UST..you got to do it yourself and it's a hell of a hassle..and no one will be nice up in the administration. Let just say no filam since i've been here has gone to the states for 4th year..so that'll tell you the chances of going out. A lot of filams here are wishing they went somewhere else..to be honest, since UST Medicine doesn't care about you after you give your donation fee. unlike some other schools who are more filam friendly like UE which helps you find a living location with other filams..they mostly live together in one building (which i think is an old hotel not sure, maybe a UE Med person can comment on that).

UE Medicine list is out also if any of those filams are wondering if they got in or not. First batch who were accepted didn't have an interview..following groups after some did have interviews.

Also from the filams i've talked to in other school...Fatima next year will be like the other school...they will not have an international and local divison. It'll be like other schools where it'll be put in a class with everyone then divide your group based on last name generally into sections. I think this is a better system. Some of my good friends are from here.

Either way..please research your school before picking. While it might sound like i'm hating. I like the people who came in with me...and if i do it again i'd still pick my school...but only becuase i like the filams and local friend i have here. Also yeah UST is a bit spoonfed with notes from teachers or schoolmates..for me i like studying that way instead of reading the books when cramming last min. (Of course you should read the book..just saying this system is better for me.) But i sure wish i can go out for 4th year and don't want to be doing that killer last thing they called a revalida (sorry if misspell).

Sorry for long post..just makin sure the next year batch of filams don't go home wishing they could have gone to another school...or have to say goodbye.

thanks!

While it is rare..for them to come over to study. Genearlly most are mix that do come here to study or are filam. Two people from UK came to UST Medicine when i was here so far but they were part filipino. I saw another one..but he's not close to the filams here in UST Medicine.

I think in Fatima you might see more of them though. From what i see when studying or what not. They have a bigger european group there i think. Dunno about the other schools though. Most people i met from other medical schools are Filam, fil-candian, fil-aussie, korean, japanese, or so fort for the "foreign" people who come in to medical school here.

Reactions: 1 user
UERM had a caucasian student graduate in 2004 (his wife was Filipina), there's another caucasian student set to graduate this year if i'm not mistaken.

(UST Medicine current administration ie the dean and certain members aren't to Filam friendly...So if you plan to go to UST..please learn the language by 2nd year at least understand if not..talk also.

Please note for those considering UST Medicine (might be helpful to other school): UST medicine is hard as heck..other schools might be hard or what not. You will probably have an exam within the first two weeks if not the first week. There really isn't a time to get adjusted with a new place or school in general. Get to know your schoolmates or have a bond with them it'll help a lot. Ask the other filams higher years or in your batch for help early..not later in the end when we can't help as much.

Just saying this because the UST medicine batch 2010 filams..let's just say a good bit dropped out this year to almost half of the ones i got to know in beginning of year. I noticed a general trend if your batch is close you guys survive..if not..the ones who are close survive those on an island..u get the the idea.

interesting...thanks!

So the UST Med administration aren't too fil-am friendly?...that's ok, I'm not looking for special treatment...I just want quality education...but...does this mean, their hard on admitting foreign students too, or does it mean...they'll take the $10 thousand and 'who cares if they drop out after a year' kind of deal?

I heard about the exams and this HUGE revalida...wierd, but one of the reasons why I picked/obsessing over UST is because of this (I think)...although I imagine it to be extremely painful...it shows that the school is making sure their graduating class really deserves the title of MD...and I bet the students walk away with their head up high knowing they've done right...and I bet these graduates end up scorring high on their board exams and/or USMLEs

So about these fil-ams...roughly how many are there at UST?...and those that dropped out...was it because UST was just too hard for them, or they were unable to adjust to the lifestyle?

Thanks for answering my questions! (GoldenAZN, wazobia & tantrum) it's much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
"I heard about the exams and this HUGE revalida...wierd, but one of the reasons why I picked/obsessing over UST is because of this (I think)...although I imagine it to be extremely painful...it shows that the school is making sure their graduating class really deserves the title of MD...and I bet the students walk away with their head up high knowing they've done right...and I bet these graduates end up scorring high on their board exams and/or USMLEs"

WELL-SAID.

There are caucasian medical students at Fatima and AUF. It stands to reason. Both schools are innovative, problem solving places and very foreigner friendly. Neither school is perfect, but foreigners don't come to Filipinos medical schools looking for perfection (unless they are naive).

Kudos to GoldenAzn for agreat post earlier today. Prospective students should read it carefully and some current students should read it to get their head straight.

There is a incredible amount of nonsense floating around this forum as to the best schools in the PI. UP and UST put up a good show, but at the end of the day, who really cares.

UP gets many of the best students in the country. And (Gee, surprise!!!), they go onto become some of the best medical students inthe country. If you are one of the best students in the country, it doesn't where you go, you will still be one of the best. Second-rate slackers will be second-rate slackers no matter where they go, whether they are Filipino or foreigner.

UST has existed for hundreds of years. I see that as a negative. UST is part of the status quo in the Philippines. And that is not a good thing.

There are thousands graduates from the UST medical school. But if UST is so great, then how did the country's medical system get into it's current mess. Where are the innovative solutions that should be coming from these much-touted thousands? Where is the leadership? I don't see it. All I see is puffed-up pride.

The best school is one the one that suits you. The school should be open and friendly and welcoming.

Any school that has "power-cliques" should be avoided. Don't enroll at a school that doesn't have a clear language policy. Don't enroll at a school which demands all of your "foreigner" fee up-front. Any reasonable school that really cares for it's students doesn't use them like cash horses. And don't enroll at a school that doesn't welcome you and your business.

GoldenAzn said:
Gl to the rest of ya'll get in. Congrats to the UST Class of 2006. I'm not sure but i heard you were ranked 2 in the boards overall based on schools.

bleudsky said:
huh? i'm part of Class of 2006 and we are not yet allowed by APMC (assoc of phil med colleges) to take the local boards since we are still having our post-graduate internship (which will end on april 30).

maybe you're referring to Class 2005..

i heard it's possible to take the basic sciences examination after second year but i haven't met anyone who's done this yet. would be ballsy and pretty interesting if anyone ever did.

sorry but GoldenAzn was referring to the local boards. not the USMLE.

There are thousands graduates from the UST medical school. But if UST is so great, then how did the country's medical system get into it's current mess. Where are the innovative solutions that should be coming from these much-touted thousands? Where is the leadership? I don't see it. All I see is puffed-up pride.

hmm.. why are u blaming the country's present medical system in just 1 medical school? have you looked into other factors like political (medical malpractice bill, low budget for health), economic, social situations?

no medical school and curriculum (for that matter) is perfect.

what's the innovative solution you're referring to? is it the innovative curriculum (PBL) which started with class 2005? at present, don't expect too much since the graduates have just started with their residency training.

UP gets many of the best students in the country. And (Gee, surprise!!!), they go onto become some of the best medical students inthe country. If you are one of the best students in the country, it doesn't where you go, you will still be one of the best. Second-rate slackers will be second-rate slackers no matter where they go, whether they are Filipino or foreigner.

UST has existed for hundreds of years. I see that as a negative. UST is part of the status quo in the Philippines. And that is not a good thing.

The best school is one the one that suits you. The school should be open and friendly and welcoming.

Any school that has "power-cliques" should be avoided. Don't enroll at a school that doesn't have a clear language policy. Don't enroll at a school which demands all of your "foreigner" fee up-front. Any reasonable school that really cares for it's students doesn't use them like cash horses. And don't enroll at a school that doesn't welcome you and your business.

hehehe, seems like a black propaganda against UP and UST.:rolleyes:

well, if that's what you think, let's leave it that way. but still, the quality of education a med school has to offer is really the first thing to consider in choosing where to enroll.:D

War Machine, wish you applied to UERM too! We may have possibly be studying for Step 1 together. :D

Yo all! I go to Fatima and am having a blast! I'm loving the motivation from all the Intn'l students, including my friends from other schools. Met a guy from UE recently too, a second year (not gonna name, not sure if he'd mind). Locked himself in his room for a year, studied for MLE, pulled over 245+. Some of my own upperclassmen pulled around 250's, and have rotations at hospitals like UCSD, my ALMA MATER!!!! I'm so stoked, loving the MLE Step 1 study culture here.. Post questions!

Those USMLE scores are absolutely great. Would you say most students are studying on the tradition schedule mirroring US students (e.g. are the taking it at the end of second year)?

Appreciate the update, lmesina!

Yes and No. For the 250ish score, that was just one person, and yes, she was from Fatima. I say yes since those planning on US rotations/careers do focus intensely on step prep, and NO since no one here even knows how the "traditional schedule" you mention is really like. Many schools in the states use PBL, and recently have been making HUGE changes in their curricular philosophies. Look up recent articles about SOMs UCSD and UCLA and a few other schools and you'll know what I mean.

There is an effort here to correlate systems though, I'll give that. We learn Cardiac Physio around the same time we learn Biochem hormones/markers in MI, Histology of the heart, Gross anatomy of the heart.. but even then the schedules don't match up perfectly. Surprisingly, Fatima (and probably other schools) requires us to do Case presentations that basically help us experience what PBL would otherwise do: make us more clinically competent starting 1st year. Ex/ of case presentations: Everything about Myasthenia Gravis (clinical presentation; diag; prognosis; treatment; meds; symptoms; etc..) for physio conference.. and everything about MI for biochem (chemical markers, symptoms, clinical presentation, etc..).. This is something I appreciate about the curriculum at my school.

I keep updated with my friends back home, as well as some in the Caribb. and one in a China med school, and I realize that it doesn't matter what they do and how they learn because I'm not there.. all I can do is do me.. learn the best I can to get the best dam score I can get on the step one day. =) I keep up with the study trends on these forums, looking into even things like GT and Pathoma.. so if you end up coming here, PM me and we could have some "Step 1 chillen time" lol

There are caucasian medical students at Fatima and AUF. It stands to reason. Both schools are innovative, problem solving places and very foreigner friendly. Neither school is perfect, but foreigners don't come to Filipinos medical schools looking for perfection (unless they are naive).

Kudos to GoldenAzn for agreat post earlier today. Prospective students should read it carefully and some current students should read it to get their head straight.

There is a incredible amount of nonsense floating around this forum as to the best schools in the PI. UP and UST put up a good show, but at the end of the day, who really cares.

"Puffed up Pride".. perfect description of what I attempted to explain in my post in the other thread.. but really, UP and UST are great schools too, but yes, if you do anticipate that you value having "puffed up pride", UST is a good choice.. and even if you don't care, UST is still a good choice if you don't mind a little extra time to do extra rotations in the states (assuming ur US bound). I go to Fatima, and by the local standard here, it's almost common sense that Fatima is not the best school, but being objective, it really is a good school.

Depends on you and what you value in your education.. that "puffed up pride" will get you nowhere in US residency selections, LOL. I would've liked to go to UE, but didn't cuz my circumstances dictated that I begin med school right away, in Sept. Didn't even have my NMAT yet, and Fatima was the only school (or so I thought) that would take me before the NMAT. Turns out UE does also, and honestly, I regret not going to UE, since I really wanted to before.. but attending Fatima now, I see nothing (objectively) that supports my regret.. both have (equally aesthetically disappointing) campuses, share some professors.. really no difference.. except for that wicked Mezza apt complex with a pool UE has ^_^ aww really wanted to be there lol.. but it turns out that Fatima COM is fine. I also have friends from most other schools in Manila that are having a great experience, puffed up pride or not.

so.. with everything being equal.. might as well take the school with the better reputation.. whatever the reason for that reputation is (however irrelevant it may be).. only time to disregard this is if it hinders your opportunity for step prep, or your career goals. For me personally, UST > UE > FCOM, but UST was not an option, since they only allow 2 weeks rotation abroad, this left me with UE as my top choice (they have a mediocre reputation, while Fatima had a < mediocre rep).. but other than the rep, they really offer the same 'everything' lol.. Fatima hasn't disappointed me yet so far.. except for the fact that it doesn't have a student government-- an issue which I am actively involved with currently here..

Haha! Thanks, BlazingAzn! I actually should have applied there, too, and I agree with you. I'm sort of putting all of my eggs in one basket by applying to only one school. Doesn't mean we can't setup a USMLE study group across both schools, though.

Well, to tell you the truth, you're a foreigner, so I think they might make an exception if you give them a ring-a-ding-ding. From what I hear, studying for the steps at UST is going to be very difficult and your rotations in the US are going to take a massive hit since... they only allow 1 month? If I am correct that is. They also focus more on the local philippine laws and other non-us stuff, which includes group projects. I mean, the campus is beautiful, and so are the girls (but that shouldn't matter to you, mr. married man) but our goals are to get in and get out with the best education intended for the US market. I still heavily suggest UE over UST dispite the facilities of UST being vastly superior.

I was at UE in october and the lecture halls were nice and air conditioned. Couldn't say the same about the chemistry, anatomy, and physio rooms though. The pathology room was locked, which was a shame, but it looked nice from the outside :laugh:

Well, to tell you the truth, you're a foreigner, so I think they might make an exception if you give them a ring-a-ding-ding. From what I hear, studying for the steps at UST is going to be very difficult and your rotations in the US are going to take a massive hit since... they only allow 1 month? If I am correct that is. They also focus more on the local philippine laws and other non-us stuff, which includes group projects. I mean, the campus is beautiful, and so are the girls (but that shouldn't matter to you, mr. married man) but our goals are to get in and get out with the best education intended for the US market. I still heavily suggest UE over UST dispite the facilities of UST being vastly superior.

I was at UE in october and the lecture halls were nice and air conditioned. Couldn't say the same about the chemistry, anatomy, and physio rooms though. The pathology room was locked, which was a shame, but it looked nice from the outside :laugh:

What BlazingAzn says about UST and step prep is true. I spoke with UST clinical dean and he said 2 weeks rotation in states only. However; I have a friend from UST who did 3 years there, took a year off 4th year, did rotations in the states that whole year, came back 5th year and did (originally 4th yr) rotations at UST hospital. He did fine.

I agree 100%. UST doesn't do any prospective USMLE takers any favors. It's a great school, and I am proud of being an alumnus, but I feel kinda envious of the other schools who had more support for those who feel that their destinies lie elsewhere.

"Puffed up Pride".. perfect description of what I attempted to explain in my post in the other thread.. but really, UP and UST are great schools too, but yes, if you do anticipate that you value having "puffed up pride", UST is a good choice.. and even if you don't care, UST is still a good choice if you don't mind a little extra time to do extra rotations in the states (assuming ur US bound). I go to Fatima, and by the local standard here, it's almost common sense that Fatima is not the best school, but being objective, it really is a good school.

Depends on you and what you value in your education.. that "puffed up pride" will get you nowhere in US residency selections, LOL. I would've liked to go to UE, but didn't cuz my circumstances dictated that I begin med school right away, in Sept. Didn't even have my NMAT yet, and Fatima was the only school (or so I thought) that would take me before the NMAT. Turns out UE does also, and honestly, I regret not going to UE, since I really wanted to before.. but attending Fatima now, I see nothing (objectively) that supports my regret.. both have (equally aesthetically disappointing) campuses, share some professors.. really no difference.. except for that wicked Mezza apt complex with a pool UE has ^_^ aww really wanted to be there lol.. but it turns out that Fatima COM is fine. I also have friends from most other schools in Manila that are having a great experience, puffed up pride or not.

so.. with everything being equal.. might as well take the school with the better reputation.. whatever the reason for that reputation is (however irrelevant it may be).. only time to disregard this is if it hinders your opportunity for step prep, or your career goals. For me personally, UST > UE > FCOM, but UST was not an option, since they only allow 2 weeks rotation abroad, this left me with UE as my top choice (they have a mediocre reputation, while Fatima had a < mediocre rep).. but other than the rep, they really offer the same 'everything' lol.. Fatima hasn't disappointed me yet so far.. except for the fact that it doesn't have a student government-- an issue which I am actively involved with currently here..
Wow! Well said lmesina. Im planning to enroll in fatima too. The reason that you just stated why you opted to go to Fatima is the same as mine! Im planning to go to the Philippines this June to check out the school in Manila. Keep in touch ok!

Hi to those enrolled in Fatima, hope u can help:

im neither filipino nor american and im thinking to enrol at this school.

1) i understand we can do our 4th yr in PH or USA. Does USA offer much hands-on or do we just observe as we're not fully qualified yet?

2) after 4th year = internship year, right?.....can foreigners do their internship year in PH? what other choices are available? (my bf is an australian, and if i can do my 4th yr there, it would be great cos we plan to marry soon, so dun wish to be separated for long)

thanks and hope anyone can help me.