Filling in the deficits of a Nurse Practitioner education.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabe123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a nursing student, and feel that I "missed the boat" for med school. After looking at the curriculum of many PMHNP and FNP programs, its come to my attention that they are incredibly soft (not academically rigorous at all.) Im wondering if I could improve my didactic education by first enrolling in a medical science/SMP program before NP school? Do you guys think this would just be a waste of time? I just dont want to be prescribing to patients without any real physician over site, and no real knowledge of what the hell Im doing. Thank you all for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a nursing student, and feel that I "missed the boat" for med school. After looking at the curriculum of many PMHNP and FNP programs, its come to my attention that they are incredibly soft (not academically rigorous at all.) Im wondering if I could improve my didactic education by first enrolling in a medical science/SMP program before NP school? Do you guys think this would just be a waste of time? I just dont want to be prescribing to patients without any real physician over site, and no real knowledge of what the hell Im doing. Thank you all for your time!
Im 20 years old by the way with no medical school prerequisites completed, and all the nursing prerequisites done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that there's plenty of time for almost anything. Might be too late to be an Olympic gymnast, but certainly not too late to be a physician. Med school and residency has been a great way to fill some of my knowledge deficits.

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like you want to do doctor things and are appropriately apprehensive about doing doctor things without a doctor education. Of course, if you want to do nurse things, then you're in the right place already. These two things are different in kind, not degree. I wouldn't try to do nurse things, since I don't have a nurse education.

Seems to me like the simplest and most effective way to crack this nut would be to go to medical school. May I ask why you feel as though you've "missed the boat?" I had plenty of classmates (myself included) who had lives/careers before med school. My oldest classmate was 37 when we started.

Reactions: 1 user
I switched out of nursing to pre-med after completing all the nursing preclinicals (1.5 years), so it's possible. My caveat is that I did some HS classes that counted for college credit that let me graduate on time after a late switch. I just matched into a psychiatry residency and I haven't looked back. If you were a strong student at a good-to-great high school and you find it in you to go to medical school, I would go ahead and switch.

I don’t really understand why this is in psychiatry but...

You’d be better off focusing your efforts after nursing school. If you’re driven to be a strong NP and can find mentors who are willing to provide on the job training as well as put in self study effort you’ll get there eventually. I don’t think SMP would help

If you want to bone up on extra sciences, every little bit helps. I have a couple biological sciences degrees, and have found that to be very helpful in my nursing and NP studies. I’m not familiar with what a “medical sciences” degree covers, but I’ve always had the impression that they were designed to appeal to folks that wanted to provide a boatload of biology/science credits to help folks increase their low GPAs after getting rejected from some sort of professional school (at least that’s how I’ve seen people try to use them). The schools that offer them are certainly excited to have your money (they are expensive), but I’m not sure if they are geared towards adding robust knowledge to pre NPs. I think I’d just take hard sciences as electives where you already go to school.

Well over a hundred thousand NPs prescribe without physician oversight. If you want to have a net underneath you, you can probably find a physician or organization that will hire you and stick close. Or you can locate to a state that requires it, although each year at least one new state opts for independent practice. You could also become a nurse and then go to PA school, which I think would be a good option for you. Just take classes that are the prerequisites for Pa school instead of throwing away money on the medical sciences degree. Then throw your money at a PA school, and you will always have the oversight you crave, as well as training that you may find to be adequate to assuage your fears.

So to answer your question... go be a PA. It’s an obvious solution.

If you want to bone up on extra sciences, every little bit helps. I have a couple biological sciences degrees, and have found that to be very helpful in my nursing and NP studies. I’m not familiar with what a “medical sciences” degree covers, but I’ve always had the impression that they were designed to appeal to folks that wanted to provide a boatload of biology/science credits to help folks increase their low GPAs after getting rejected from some sort of professional school (at least that’s how I’ve seen people try to use them). The schools that offer them are certainly excited to have your money (they are expensive), but I’m not sure if they are geared towards adding robust knowledge to pre NPs. I think I’d just take hard sciences as electives where you already go to school.

Well over a hundred thousand NPs prescribe without physician oversight. If you want to have a net underneath you, you can probably find a physician or organization that will hire you and stick close. Or you can locate to a state that requires it, although each year at least one new state opts for independent practice. You could also become a nurse and then go to PA school, which I think would be a good option for you. Just take classes that are the prerequisites for Pa school instead of throwing away money on the medical sciences degree. Then throw your money at a PA school, and you will always have the oversight you crave, as well as training that you may find to be adequate to assuage your fears.

So to answer your question... go be a PA. It’s an obvious solution.

You’re also looking for advice on the student doctor network. There’s a strong protectionism and many, many posters have a nurse hating chip on there shoulders unseen in the real world. Make sure you read nurse forums too like allnurses.com before you decide your future.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it is greatly appreciated!

I think a SMP would be a waste of time/$$$.

Search out a program with strong academics like Vanderbilt or Duke . Or even a rigorous online program line U North Dakota. (Rigorous online program does not have to be an oxymoron.)

One of the regular posters here (@Psych NP Guy) has stated that he thinks that rigorous planning and individual effort - collaborating with MDs, reading and personal self-study - is the key to becoming a PMHNP with strong credentials and to the goal of reducing NP deficiencies. You could search out his posts.

Yes, allnurses might have good info but asking here is helpful too.

I would skip the SMP. My advice: finish nursing school, get at least a few years in as an RN, and then apply to high quality, on-campus NP programs. Always stay curious, read beyond what is expected of you, and ask questions. However, if you feel like you will always regret not going to medical school, and have a burning desire to be a physician, do that instead!

Edit to add: I am a PA student who did a research-based MS in genetics/genomics. I feel it has given me an incredibly strong basic science background, and experience in teaching, but was probably a waste of time in the since that it will have taken longer for me to start earning a salary. I am a naturally curious person, though, and it satisfied an itch so to speak.

Reactions: 1 users

I think its very commendable that you are concerned with being the best prepared clinician that you can be. I am not sure the SMP program will be the avenue to getting that extra preparation that you desire, however. Most of that kind of clinically relevant information is to be had in the second year of medical school, not really the first year (as you already know SMP is essentially a slightly lightened version of the first year of medical school). I wouldn't be surprised if you enrolled in the SMP, did well, and made yourself as a med school applicant very soon afterwards. So my question to you is: With respect to your concerns about knowledge, oversight and competence, coupled with your young age, could you possibly have regrets on settling on a non-physician career in your future? You might want to reconsider what you want to do professionally with your life and save yourself all of the trouble of a career re-boot at age 30. As others have already said, at age 20, you have not missed the boat for anything.

clinically relevant information is to be had in the second year of medical school,

Clinically relevant information in 2nd year of med school?

Medically relevant, yes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but 2nd year is where science and medicine meet. But I don't think "clinically relevant" really enters the cage until 3rd/4th year, and doesn't become a contender until residency.

But I could be wrong.

You might want to reconsider what you want to do professionally with your life and save yourself all of the trouble of a career re-boot at age 30. As others have already said, at age 20, you have not missed the boat for anything.

In other words....go to freaking medical school.

Clinically relevant information in 2nd year of med school?

Medically relevant, yes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but 2nd year is where science and medicine meet. But I don't think "clinically relevant" really enters the cage until 3rd/4th year, and doesn't become a contender until residency.

But I could be wrong.
Well it's all medically relevant (1st and 2nd year). The 2nd year is all about Pathology (certainly, knowing the 1st year material gives you a finer understanding of this material). You spend that entire 2nd year studying all of the different disease states. I thought it was the most relevant material you carry forward with you on to the wards. This is what I meant by clinically relevant. To be honest, I probably forgot the vast majority of the first year. But knowing all of the 2nd year material really makes you shine. I can see myself forgetting all the biochemical steps in oxidation of fatty acids (1st year stuff), but I will always know pathologic features of the various glomerular nephropathies (2nd year).

but I will always know pathologic features of the various glomerular nephropathies (2nd year).
Sure...but rarely clinically relevant unless you're in nephro. Not many cardiologists, dermatologists, orthopedists, neurologists, EM, (etc etc ad nauseum) find it clinically relevant. Clinically we just turf to nephro.

Sure...but rarely clinically relevant unless you're in nephro. Not many cardiologists, dermatologists, orthopedists, neurologists, EM, (etc etc ad nauseum) find it clinically relevant. Clinically we just turf to nephro.
OK, sounds fine to me.