Filling out FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxyhead

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently applying to Clinical psychology programs. Does anyone know which is the best option in order to get the most money for financial aid?

1. Filling out the parental income information
or
2. Not filling the parental income info

The FAFSA states that you do not need to fill it out if you are a graduate student. Some exceptions are if you are in the health professions. So I'm not sure if clinical psych is considered under that distinction.

Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Well if I'm not mistaken that form is only necessary if your parents support you. I'm independent and have never filled out that form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I agree it is a health profession. I suppose I am confused because they suggest that medical students and nursing students fill out the parent portion of the FAFSA. Are clinical psychology grad. students also suggested to fill out that portion?

I am just finishing my bachelor's degree and might be relying on parental support if I do not receive enough financial aid. Of course, if I am able to receive full financial support then I won't need parental support. Hence, the dilemma of whether or not to fill out the parental portion.

Maybe my question is simply - For students who went from undergrad straight to grad. school, did you complete the parental portion of the FAFSA form and did that influence the amount of support you received?

Hope that clarifies what I am asking. Thanks for your responses.

I wonder if grad school FAFSA disbursements are the same as undergrad. Ie; subsidized and unsubsidized, so it really shouldn't matter about parents. Although I guess if you are still dependent on them then it might matter. I always thought that if you were older than 25 you don't have to fill out the parent part (I thought I read that somewhere when I was filling it out for undergrad)

Yes it is better to not have your parents income. And no, psychology PhD programs do not count as a health discipline like nursing or med school (it's an academic degree, not a program housed in a profession school). I don't know if PsyD programs have different rules. As I recall, though, there are several ways to qualify for not listing your parents income (I think one of them is being born before 1984, although i could be off on the exact year. the age is younger than 25 though--more like 22.). I wouldn't stress to much about filling out the FASFA until after you've accepted an offer somewhere-- then the grad secretary can tell you what to do and when to do it.

I'm confused. Don't the clinpsych phd programs usually provide funding? Why the FAFSA?

I'm confused. Don't the clinpsych phd programs usually provide funding? Why the FAFSA?

In general, yes. However, some students find that the stipends aren't enough to either live on or to function "comfortably," so they apply for financial aid.

To address one of the (at this point very old) points mentioned in the previous posts--for those interested, graduate students are generally not required to report parent income on their FAFSA.

In general, yes. However, some students find that the stipends aren't enough to either live on or to function "comfortably," so they apply for financial aid.

To address one of the (at this point very old) points mentioned in the previous posts--for those interested, graduate students are generally not required to report parent income on their FAFSA.

It used to be required, but it isn't any longer, for graduate or undergraduate, AFAIK. Curious as to why they still ask.

Used to be that aid used to be contingent on a certain level of parental income (as that would secure the debt to a certain degree).

Hi :) I work for the Office of Financial Aid at CU Boulder and when you are filling out the FAFSA for graduate school, you are independent no matter what.

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!