slynxy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2002
shaolin
Visit site
Status
Is it looked upon badly by adcoms if you don't fill in the section for racial self descrption and leave it blank?

since im not an URM, listing it wouldn't buy me any advantages . . .

thanx for the feedback . . .

slynxy

freakazoid

Guy Friend Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
TX
Visit site
Status
I don't really know, but if it don't buy you any disadvantages (I can't see how it would do that), I'd say put it in. I mean, unless you have a really good reason for not putting it, which I might be missing . . .

OP
S

slynxy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2002
shaolin
Visit site
Status
well certain groups are disproportionately represented in the applicant pool, so putting it down might be a disadvantage.

i just thought that if i could leave it blank they would just consider the application as is minus the race factor. . . unless they consider leaving it blank even worse . . . do they?

About the Ads

freakazoid

Guy Friend Extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2002
TX
Visit site
Status
well, one way or another, if they wanna find out, they will . . . if only at the interview . . . so you might as well.

OP
S

slynxy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2002
shaolin
Visit site
Status
is there anyone who hasn't designated a race and left it blank?

SMW

Grand Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2001
anchorage, ak
Visit site
Status
I don't think the application will let you leave it blank. I think that you will get a message that you have to answer the question you omitted before you can submit.

pocwana

MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 11, 2002
L.A.
www-scf.usc.edu
Status
Medical Student
run an application audit, see what it says. if it gives you an error, you can't leave it blank. if it's a warning, you can.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
I know male asians get the shaft in this whole admissions process, but even if you can get away with not putting your race in your primary or secondary it's going to come out during the interview. So you might as well get it out in the open now, because if that's going to be a disadvantage that wouldn't have gotten you the interview, than you just wasted alot of money.

Just my advice anyways, I'm a white male from a poor section of a mostly black city who went to mostly black schools, etc... I feel like marking other or something. Whatever...

About the Ads