Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

final amcas numbers

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by careerchanger, Dec 17, 2001.

1. careerchanger

careerchanger Member

anybody have an idea on the final number of applicants?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AmateurChef

AmateurChef Health policy consultant

I'm not sure on the final numbers, but I read last week the applicant numbers were down more than 6,000 from last year.

And applications are down more than 26% from 1996...

4. eagle26

eagle26 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, look at the bright side. With all the AMCAS mix up and the drop in applicants, we increase our odds of acceptance! :D

5. lilic

lilic Junior Member

I don't know what the final numbers are but it does appear much easier this year. I have friends who either received no interviews or only one last year, but have already received multiple acceptances this year. Little changed from their application last year. Even on SDN there seems to be a ton of people getting acceptances. Hopefully I will be the beneficiary soon too.

6. choker

choker Senior Member

yeah, i like totally agree. this whole process is a complete joke. i mean, i know it was harder before, but i cant understand what everyone was bitching about. i mean, it's like point-click-wait a few days-and bada bing! YOU'RE IN!!!

like totally, at least this isn't as hard as applying to to college (yuck!) or worse-prep school!

what a breeze!

see you at the top ten of your choice!!!

-dr. serious

7. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member

9. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

10. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

11. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member

13. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

14. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    md2be06,

Are you being sarcastic?

That's me being sarcastic...

15. choker

choker Senior Member

my joke above was just that: a joke. it was not meant to be critical of anyone or any response. it was light-hearted and i meant no offense by it; just thought it would be sorta funny.

-i know i can be tactless and abrasive at times, but that's just my humor and i really dont say anything to intentionally hurt or offend anyone ever.

-if i offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

-please stop sending me hate-mail

oh OlympicGold, your private message was really out-of-line, immature, and offensive btw.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

Hate mail? Are you serious choker? I thought your post was funny, and not at all abrasive or in bad taste. It was also clearly sarcastic, not serious. People, stop being so damn sensitive!

18. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Well in 2001 there were 34,859 applicants. They have not released the numbers for this year yet.

19. spanky

spanky Member

Per the AAMC website, they posted that 34,859 applications had been processed as of 10/24/01. This is down 6% from previous years. Of the 34,859 applicants, 16365 have already been accepted either in state or out of state as of 10/24/01. This means that 47% of those who applied this year have been accepted somewhere.
    They also have the figures broken down by state. The report is titled: Facts: Applicants and Matriculants by State of Legal Residence, 2001.

Hope this helps!!!

20. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Spanky, you are wrong those statistics are not for this current application year of 2002. Those stats are for last year because I know that some 16,000 people have not already been accepted to school for 2002.

21. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

There's no way that many people have been accepted already this year. We need this year's stats - AMCAS has not released them as far as I know. :(

22. SMW

SMW Grand Member

From the Nov. 2 AAMC press release:
    Washington, D.C., November 2, 2001-Nearly 35,000 individuals applied to U.S. medical schools for the 2001-2002 school year, according to data released today by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). This year's applicant pool of 34,859 represents a 6.0 percent decline in the number of applicants from 2000-2001.

Spanky, you're right about the number of applicants this year (WSUreds, this is 2001!) So the scuttlebutt about 6,000 fewer applications this year was wrong. Applications are only down by about 2000. :(
    But you're wrong about those acceptance figures being from this year. They're from last year.