final amcas numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careerchanger

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody have an idea on the final number of applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure on the final numbers, but I read last week the applicant numbers were down more than 6,000 from last year.

And applications are down more than 26% from 1996...

Hey, look at the bright side. With all the AMCAS mix up and the drop in applicants, we increase our odds of acceptance! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what the final numbers are but it does appear much easier this year. I have friends who either received no interviews or only one last year, but have already received multiple acceptances this year. Little changed from their application last year. Even on SDN there seems to be a ton of people getting acceptances. Hopefully I will be the beneficiary soon too.

yeah, i like totally agree. this whole process is a complete joke. i mean, i know it was harder before, but i cant understand what everyone was bitching about. i mean, it's like point-click-wait a few days-and bada bing! YOU'RE IN!!!

like totally, at least this isn't as hard as applying to to college (yuck!) or worse-prep school!

what a breeze!

see you at the top ten of your choice!!!

-dr. serious

Originally posted by choker:
•yeah, i like totally agree. this whole process is a complete joke. i mean, i know it was harder before, but i cant understand what everyone was bitching about. i mean, it's like point-click-wait a few days-and bada bing! YOU'RE IN!!!

-dr. serious•••

I doubt the 10,000+ applicants that don't get in this year will think it was that easy...

Originally posted by AmateurChef:
•I read last week the applicant numbers were down more than 6,000 from last year.•••

If that's true... and this is true:

Originally posted by mpp:
•<a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg12001.htm" target="_blank">37,092</a> people applied last year. A drop of almost 12% if they get 32,000 submitted applications.•••

then, we have less than 31,000 applicants this year, a drop of 16% :) :D

Originally posted by mpp:

I doubt the 10,000+ applicants that don't get in this year will think it was that easy...•••

Sarcasm my friend. Sarcasm.

Trek, where's that latest study on residency match rates and inability to interpret sarcasm? You're slippin' my man.

Originally posted by choker:
•yeah, i like totally agree. this whole process is a complete joke. i mean, i know it was harder before, but i cant understand what everyone was bitching about. i mean, it's like point-click-wait a few days-and bada bing! YOU'RE IN!!!

like totally, at least this isn't as hard as applying to to college (yuck!) or worse-prep school!

what a breeze!

-dr. serious•••

I know right. Harvard? Yale? Or Hopkins? So many decisions, so little time.

Originally posted by lilic:
• Even on SDN there seems to be a ton of people getting acceptances. •••

Even on SDN...? :confused: Didn't you mean to say Especially on SDN......? ;)

Originally posted by SMW:

Even on SDN...? :confused: Didn't you mean to say Especially on SDN......? ;) •••

Perhaps we don't measure up to the TPR Board when it comes to fabricating GPA's, MCAT's, interviews, and acceptances. I'll start:

GPA: 4.01 (Non-Science 4.0, Science 4.02 &lt;--- discovered some gene so they hooked it up with a couple of extra points. As if I needed it)

MCAT: 42-44T (13-15 V, 15P, 14B.) I appealed the one question I missed on Bio, but they never got back to me. You may wanna double check these scores with a calcultor since the numbers are SO BIG!

Interviews: Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Cornell, Hopkins, UCSF, UPenn, WashU. Turned down Vandy, and Emory. Waiting on Northwestern and Pritzker, where are you guys? Hello?

Acceptances: Harvard, Columbia, Hopkins, WashU, Cornell, UCSF. I wish Yale and UPenn would hurry up and accept me so I dob't have to wait to compare aid packages. The nerve of some schools.

my joke above was just that: a joke. it was not meant to be critical of anyone or any response. it was light-hearted and i meant no offense by it; just thought it would be sorta funny.

-i know i can be tactless and abrasive at times, but that's just my humor and i really dont say anything to intentionally hurt or offend anyone ever.

-if i offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

-please stop sending me hate-mail

oh OlympicGold, your private message was really out-of-line, immature, and offensive btw.

Hate mail? Are you serious choker? I thought your post was funny, and not at all abrasive or in bad taste. It was also clearly sarcastic, not serious. People, stop being so damn sensitive!

Well in 2001 there were 34,859 applicants. They have not released the numbers for this year yet.

Per the AAMC website, they posted that 34,859 applications had been processed as of 10/24/01. This is down 6% from previous years. Of the 34,859 applicants, 16365 have already been accepted either in state or out of state as of 10/24/01. This means that 47% of those who applied this year have been accepted somewhere.
They also have the figures broken down by state. The report is titled: Facts: Applicants and Matriculants by State of Legal Residence, 2001.

Hope this helps!!!

Spanky, you are wrong those statistics are not for this current application year of 2002. Those stats are for last year because I know that some 16,000 people have not already been accepted to school for 2002.

There's no way that many people have been accepted already this year. We need this year's stats - AMCAS has not released them as far as I know. :(

From the Nov. 2 AAMC press release:
Washington, D.C., November 2, 2001-Nearly 35,000 individuals applied to U.S. medical schools for the 2001-2002 school year, according to data released today by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). This year's applicant pool of 34,859 represents a 6.0 percent decline in the number of applicants from 2000-2001.

Spanky, you're right about the number of applicants this year (WSUreds, this is 2001!) So the scuttlebutt about 6,000 fewer applications this year was wrong. Applications are only down by about 2000. :(
But you're wrong about those acceptance figures being from this year. They're from last year.