final exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOrthoDoc

Drill,measure,tap,screw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there an all encompassing final to become and M.D? or is it just completion of medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

FutureOrthoDoc said:
is there an all encompassing final to become and M.D? or is it just completion of medical school?

A medical student must take, and pass three exams in order to become a licensed physician. The test is called the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).

After 2nd year: Step 1 (test of *all* book knowledge gained in medical school--supposedly the hardest of the three, but I haven't taken any of them yet. I'm taking this in 2 months, yikes!)

Early to mid-4th year: Step 2 CK (clinical knowledge--written test on wards medicine) and Step 2 CS (clinical skills--practical test on physical exam techniques and patient interviewing).

After PGY-1 (Intern year): Step 3 Combination of the above; final test needed in order to legally practice and prescribe medication in the US.

Hope that helps!

-B

UCSBMed1 said:
A medical student must take, and pass three exams in order to become a licensed physician. The test is called the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).

After 2nd year: Step 1 (test of *all* book knowledge gained in medical school--supposedly the hardest of the three, but I haven't taken any of them yet. I'm taking this in 2 months, yikes!)

Early to mid-4th year: Step 2 CK (clinical knowledge--written test on wards medicine) and Step 2 CS (clinical skills--practical test on physical exam techniques and patient interviewing).

After PGY-1 (Intern year): Step 3 Combination of the above; final test needed in order to legally practice and prescribe medication in the US.

Hope that helps!

-B
That helps alot thank you!!!

No test. Just those board exams...