Finally, at last!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOPharmMD

Aspiring PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I posted my last thread (Convince me part 2), I was exhaused and tired of reading blogs in search of a career. I was looking perhaps in the wrong places. Doing a search for the right thread exhausted me even more. It's really time consuming. SDN1977 (I am a he) and Requiem, thank you so very much for taking the time to write. I don't know much about pharmacy and it just seemed ideal to work with patients in a hospital settings. Although, hospital work seems nice, I would not want to work the night shift (I would prefer being home with my future wife & kids). I'm 28 and perhaps I'm still a bit naive about "clinical pharmacist" as a whole. This naivete is perhaps based on the few articles I read:

http://www.umich.edu/%7Epharmacy/faculty/profiles.html

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where I end up, I just want to do something I enjoy provided of course I gain enough 'utils' and $ doing it:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?NarrowCode=HC03&NarrowDesc=Healthcare+%2D%2D+Practitioners&JobTitle=Pharmacist&JobCode=HC07000011&geo=U.S.%20National%20Averages

Now that sdn1979 have shed some light as to what clinical pharmacists do, I have now more options of what to look forward to. I have a new found love for retail pharmacy! Good hours (unless it is a 24 hr retail etc...) I have some more questions though: SDN1979, you seem pretty knowldgeable about your field, I wonder if you ever given some thought about opening your own pharmacy? I understand that there are challenges (big companies already in the market). What are your views on this? (You'd work hard still, but you are YOUR OWN BOSS with no "clocks ticking" like you mentioned).

Just trying to decide between medicine and pharmacy have been incredibly stressful. I have to say that I'm not trying to let others decide my career path, it may have seemed that way when I posted my previous thread. I have great respect for SDN1979, ZPACK, Requiem and other passionate aspiring pharmacists. I suppose I need not take things too serious, so a little humor is not bad (zpack last reply was :laugh: )

After I read this link, I believe that I have found my calling: PHARMACY!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=195799:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

When I posted my last thread (Convince me part 2), I was exhaused and tired of reading blogs in search of a career. I was looking perhaps in the wrong places. Doing a search for the right thread exhausted me even more. It's really time consuming. SDN1977 (I am a he) and Requiem, thank you so very much for taking the time to write. I don't know much about pharmacy and it just seemed ideal to work with patients in a hospital settings. Although, hospital work seems nice, I would not want to work the night shift (I would prefer being home with my future wife & kids). I'm 28 and perhaps I'm still a bit naive about "clinical pharmacist" as a whole. This naivete is perhaps based on the few articles I read:

http://www.umich.edu/%7Epharmacy/faculty/profiles.html

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where I end up, I just want to do something I enjoy provided of course I gain enough 'utils' and $ doing it:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?NarrowCode=HC03&NarrowDesc=Healthcare+%2D%2D+Practitioners&JobTitle=Pharmacist&JobCode=HC07000011&geo=U.S.%20National%20Averages

Now that sdn1979 have shed some light as to what clinical pharmacists do, I have now more options of what to look forward to. I have a new found love for retail pharmacy! Good hours (unless it is a 24 hr retail etc...) I have some more questions though: SDN1979, you seem pretty knowldgeable about your field, I wonder if you ever given some thought about opening your own pharmacy? I understand that there are challenges (big companies already in the market). What are your views on this? (You'd work hard still, but you are YOUR OWN BOSS with no "clocks ticking" like you mentioned).

Just trying to decide between medicine and pharmacy have been incredibly stressful. I have to say that I'm not trying to let others decide my career path, it may have seemed that way when I posted my previous thread. I have great respect for SDN1979, ZPACK, Requiem and other passionate aspiring pharmacists. I suppose I need not take things to serious, so a little humor is not bad (zpack last reply was :laugh: )

After I read this link, I believe that I have found my calling: PHARMACY!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=195799

I apologize greatly for my misapplication of your gender:oops: !!!! I was in no way improtuning your masculinity (I do so hope that is a word:D ).

And.....I thank you for shearing off 2 years of my age......(tee - sdn1977 - sdn1979) - thanks:D !

As for your question - no.....I've never, ever given any thought to opening my own pharmacy. My husband owns his own business - he's a dentist - its tough (ask Zpak!!!!).

I have absolutely NO interest in the business side of pharmacy. I love the clinical side (altho I do have to keep my dops happy & consider the business aspect of their budget....:oops: ) But....clinical pharmacy (& yes...that entails both retail & hospital/instutional work;) is my passion.

I know people - my own mentor's son & a few classmates who own their own pharmacies. It is not an easy road. There is a thread somewhere on here....I hate to send you on a search yet again:( ......

My advice, honestly, get your education first. Find out what you want to do - you may want nuclear pharmacy, you may want retail, you may want to do consultant snf work....there are soooooo many options! Get your education......take as many electives & rotations as you possibly can....take advantage of as many opportunities as you can. Marry someone who understands your need to try many things before you finally settle on something. I know you feel you are older.....you're not that old & I haven't worked that many night shifts over the years...so don't let that deter you. You have choices....you just have to give yourself enough time to make them.

Congratulations on your peace.......stay flexible & welcome!

Let us know if we can help you any more......