Finally, my COMP decision is in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received my acceptance letter to COMP. This time, I actually had the opportunity to open the mailbox and read the letter myself since all my other decisions were read by my parents.

I was at first disappointed to see the small envelope but after reading it I felt a sense of relief.

Pretty much I'm cancelling my other MD interviews now. Now I have to really decide between DO and MD.:)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! :clap: :hardy:

So is it gonna be MD or DO??? How long do you have to decide?

Originally posted by DOtobe
Congratulations! :clap: :hardy:

So is it gonna be MD or DO??? How long do you have to decide?
Thanks DOtobe,
I'm leaning towards COMP right now. I have until May basically because i'm sending in the deposit ($1000 :eek: ).

I'm still hoping for a miracle in UCI, UCLA, or USC but will have to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turning down your Tufts interview?! (Just dissapointed because I was a Tufts Jumbo for undergrad myself)

Originally posted by skypilot
Turning down your Tufts interview?! (Just dissapointed because I was a Tufts Jumbo for undergrad myself)
Yes, unfortunately I'm turning down my Tufts and Creighton interviews because I got into COMP. I must be crazy. ;)

Originally posted by Slickness
Yes, unfortunately I'm turning down my Tufts and Creighton interviews because I got into COMP. I must be crazy. ;)

Send your creighton interview my way.. I won't complain. ;)

i think u should go to ur extra interviews and be like george from seinfeld...reverse the questions, be a bit nontraditional...see if it works...ive thought about that....

but who am i kidding....

im an idiot

Originally posted by dan0909
i think u should go to ur extra interviews and be like george from seinfeld...reverse the questions, be a bit nontraditional...see if it works...ive thought about that....

but who am i kidding....

im an idiot
I was thinking about going to my interviews and just having fun with it like asking "what does your school have to offer me?" and "why should I go to your school over others?"

However, it does cost alot of money to travel out there so I don't think it's worth it.:laugh:

I don't know if I would be jumping up and down about the WesternU/COMP acceptance.
Have you been following their thread under financial mismanagement in the "osteopathic" forum? That school is being investigated by the attorney general in CA, their dean left and is now suing the school. The school tried to pay him off with a 500,000 settlement and somehow it got made public so they refused to honor the settlement. Now he is suing...

I don't think I would go to that school unless it was my ONLY other choice.

Just my 2 cents... but seriously check out that other thread.

Originally posted by Slickness
However, it does cost alot of money to travel out there so I don't think it's worth it.

I don't know a couple of hundred dollars for a flight to Boston when you are going to be investing over 100 thousand and four years of your life seems like it might be worth it. Boston is an awesome city.

congratulations on your acceptance though!

Originally posted by gasman2003
I don't know if I would be jumping up and down about the WesternU/COMP acceptance.
Have you been following their thread under financial mismanagement in the "osteopathic" forum? That school is being investigated by the attorney general in CA, their dean left and is now suing the school. The school tried to pay him off with a 500,000 settlement and somehow it got made public so they refused to honor the settlement. Now he is suing...

I don't think I would go to that school unless it was my ONLY other choice.

Just my 2 cents... but seriously check out that other thread.
Well COMP has been around a long time especially compared to AZCOM. I don't think it will close down any time soon.

Honestly, I'd much rather have COMP sort out its administrative problems. I'd like to believe that other schools don't have similar problems at all, however I think it's more likely that other schools are just letting their problems be. Wouldn't want to remove those 3 layers of foundation to reveal those hidden pimples, otherwise it just wouldn't be pretty enough for schools that don't have long solid records to attract new students.

I am going to re-iterate that going to a school with corruption at the highest levels, led by a president who is under civil and probably criminal investigation isn't wise.

Add up the number of DO students at COMP, and then add up the amount of money that was misappropriated and see how much those students are individually being ripped off for. The leadership at COMP doesn't seem to know the difference between the school's bank accounts and their own.

Also, can anyone out there who is familiar with COMP tell me who "Stuart Weiner" is? He is "assistant to the president" according to IRS records, yet he is nowhere to be found on the COMP website. Just curious because he is the 2nd highest paid guy at the university (392K/year).

The administration at my DO school is highly paid, but I doubt that they are pulling the kind of alleged illegal activity that COMP is investigated for.

Also, if you are truly accepted at Temple, I would strongly consider taking that offer. The MD degree will serve you better than being in a convenient location.

Originally posted by gasman2003
Also, if you are truly accepted at Temple, I would strongly consider taking that offer. The MD degree will serve you better than being in a convenient location.
Yes, I really was accepted to Temple.

From some of your previous posts elsewhere, I know you are an MD reject who went DO. You have said that if you had the chance, you would have chosen to be an MD over a DO even though it seems you have achieved a good residency in a tough specialty.

I know it's hard to believe that there are people who weren't just MD rejects and who actually wouldn't mind being a DO. For various reasons, I like COMP and even though it may have some problems, it continues to place graduates in good residencies in southern CA where I would like to practice.

All schools have their problems including Temple with its probation put on them. As I said before, I'll wait till May to choose.

I acheived a competitive specialty through hard-work (taking USMLEs, doing research, audition rotations, etc.) not through any merits associated with being a DO.

Obviously you were trying to decide between and MD or a DO o/w you wouldn't have applied to both. So you can't be wholeheartedly committed to the osteopathic philosophy. I suspect that in the future you might find yourself in a situation similar to my own: the discovery that there is reallly no difference between DOs and MDs.

So why not get the education that is free from corruption (specifically COMP) and discrimination from the idiots out there (many of them post anti-DO crap on this very forum).

I cannot make your decisions for you nor would I want to. I was just taking time out of my day to try to help steer you in the right direction.

Good luck with your decision.