Finals not going as planned, wait a year or apply anyway?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09ine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooo, just finished my Physics II finals. After getting As on all the test, I can say I screwed up 3 questions on the final which may lower me to an AB. Now my dream of getting a 3.713 this semester are slightly dashed. On top of this, I don't know if my one humanities class is curved or not so I could range anywhere from a C to an AB (yes...that sounds really bad, but this is a case where a curve hurts alot). If that's the case, I'm back to square one with a 3.667 or so.

Plus I got off the phone with my parents after my physics final and my mom was more supportive this time around if things go sour with the application process. Money and applications aren't cheap, so I'm wondering if it's better to wait until next year (possible 3.75+ then if things actually go well again) or try my lucky pending my MCAT score. I don't have great ECs, I'll have strong LoR, but all that could be improved in the upcoming year.

As for a backup plan I'd be volunteering full time at my dad's new practice for that year and possibly getting more hookups with doctors back at home so that would be a plus I'd think.

Members don't see this ad.

Simple solution: submit your app before these grades post to your transcript lol. That way, you won't have to use them for your gpa calculation :)

Your application does not hinge on a 3.713 vs a 3.667. Your MCAT, and personal statement matter more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Simple solution: submit your app before these grades post to your transcript lol. That way, you won't have to use them for your gpa calculation :)

Although that is a pretty nice loop around, the grades get submitted May 25th (not sure how long that'll take to get put into the system) but I guess it's worth a shot.

Apply EARLY if you think the rest of your application is solid.

Apply NEXT YEAR if you believe the rest of your application isn't solid.

Your GPA does not matter at all, at this point. Adcoms will not be anal, unlike the below hyperbolic, hypothetical situation:

Adcom: "I'm going to reject 09ine because his GPA was under a 3.712 even though everything else on his app is solid and beyond"

Apply EARLY if you think the rest of your application is solid.

Apply NEXT YEAR if you believe the rest of your application isn't solid.

Your GPA does not matter at all, at this point. Adcoms will not be anal, unlike the below hyperbolic, hypothetical situation:

Adcom: "I'm going to reject 09ine because his GPA was under a 3.712 even though everything else on his app is solid and beyond"

Thanks, I guess I'll give it a shot, the worst that could happen is I lose out on a couple $100 dollars. I've just been freaking out about the LizzyM scores (which I know shouldn't be taken so black and white)

Thanks, I guess I'll give it a shot, the worst that could happen is I lose out on a couple $100 dollars. I've just been freaking out about the LizzyM scores (which I know shouldn't be taken so black and white)

Not sure how many schools you're applying to, but after primary + secondary + interview travel expenses are factored in, you're looking at a couple thousand dollars.

Apply this year. The minor improvement to your GPA (assuming you'd do better next year than the past few years) is not going to cost you this cycle.

Apply this year. The minor improvement to your GPA (assuming you'd do better next year than the past few years) is not going to cost you this cycle.

Yeah, that was a big assumption I had for this semester. First bad one in almost 3 semesters, and I had a pretty solid 3.8-3.9 trend till this point too.

Am I allowed to use my current GPA and transcript records, or will AMCAS catch on ask for the latest version?

Yeah, that was a big assumption I had for this semester. First bad one in almost 3 semesters, and I had a pretty solid 3.8-3.9 trend till this point too.

Am I allowed to use my current GPA and transcript records, or will AMCAS catch on ask for the latest version?

So the 3.667 gpa is just for this semester and will get averaged with all of your other 3.8-3.9s?

Stop being such an obsessive premed and apply, such a minor drop over one semester wont make that much of a difference in your cumulative. Not to mention a 3.667 is not a bad gpa at all... but i guess thats sdn for you. Theres no school in the country that would look down upon you for having dropped such a small amount. Is there any particular new EC or involvement that has consumed time this semester that can be used as an explanation? There doesnt need to be, but if there was then you absolutely have nothing to worry about.

Also if you are a junior dont submit your grades early.

So the 3.667 gpa is just for this semester and will get averaged with all of your other 3.8-3.9s?

Stop being such an obsessive premed and apply, such a minor drop over one semester wont make that much of a difference in your cumulative. Not to mention a 3.667 is not a bad gpa at all... but i guess thats sdn for you. Theres no school in the country that would look down upon you for having dropped such a small amount. Is there any particular new EC or involvement that has consumed time this semester that can be used as an explanation? There doesnt need to be, but if there was then you absolutely have nothing to worry about.

Also if you are a junior dont submit your grades early.
]

No I meant as in my Cumulative will be a 3.667 at its lowest. My semester GPAs were 3.8-3.9s the past 3 semesters. The only commitment I had was studying for the MCAT and that physics final came out of nowhere because I had straight As until then so I was totally caught off guard.

Yeah I'm a junior right now, so don't send in my current transcript before the new one with the lower GPA comes in?

Yeah, so I got an A in the class, looks like the majority of the class did really really bad on it.

Yeah, so I got an A in the class, looks like the majority of the class did really really bad on it.

Congrats! Now, get ready to apply this year then!

Good job, and plus it wouldn't of been a big difference regardless. Also do well on the MCAT or if you already took it and did well good luck in the app cycle!