Feb 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
They suck! :scared:

As I sit here in the library procrastinating on studying for my Physics 2 and Biochem exams tomorrow morning, I was wondering how many other people think that physics is useless to what we are going to do as physicians? I mean, it is cool to learn I guess and there are interesting topics, but it is really useless. Another weed out I guess.

Here is to hoping I can get a 105% on my final tomorrow to get that A... :oops: Damn lol.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
For most of us physics will probably not be all that useful. For those who want to be cardiologists, probably somewhat useful.

I am not good at physics, but I do find interesting, that is if I don't have to actually turn anything in.

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
physics is incredibly useful.. I think everyone can benefit from physics quite a bit, honestly. i mean obviously not everyone is going to be using the right hand rule of magnetism in their daily lives, but I think out of all the pre med reqs physics has the most benefit, physician or no. there are many situations where an understanding of physics can help you.. fluid dynamics, kinetics, rotational motion and torque are very applicable.

also you have saturday finals?

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
physics is incredibly useful.. I think everyone can benefit from physics quite a bit, honestly. i mean obviously not everyone is going to be using the right hand rule of magnetism in their daily lives, but I think out of all the pre med reqs physics has the most benefit, physician or no. there are many situations where an understanding of physics can help you.

also you have saturday finals?
I think chem is the most applicable/useful to everyday life, personally. Think of how many chemicals you have under you kitchen cabinet alone...It is actually kind of scary, some of the reactions that could take place, or the kinds of strong acids one can buy at the local arts and crafts shop.

Not to mention, if one makes it to become a physician, how important it is to understand how chemicals work...

akuarys

5+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think chem is the most applicable/useful to everyday life, personally. Think of how many chemicals you have under you kitchen cabinet alone...It is actually kind of scary, some of the reactions that could take place, or the kinds of strong acids one can buy at the local arts and crafts shop.

Not to mention, if one makes it to become a physician, how important it is to understand how chemicals work...
Agreed! Personally I love orgo 'cause I feel I can now draw half of the molecules listed on my shampoo bottles :D

Jan 20, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah chem is definitely useful too. i can now explain how soap and toothpaste work on a molecular level. it sounds so lame typing it out though.

OP
rxnfiend
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Agreed! Personally I love orgo 'cause I feel I can now draw half of the molecules listed on my shampoo bottles :D
Haha completely agreed! And yes, I have finals on a Saturday... I know sucks right? But whatever, I am just going to be happy when they are over tomorrow because I will only have one left and it is not that bad at all. :thumbup:

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
yeah chem is definitely useful too. i can now explain how soap and toothpaste work on a molecular level. it sounds so lame typing it out though.
lol yea, almost every time I wash my hands w soap I briefly think about nonpolar attraction to oil molecules.

...physics II seemed pretty relevant to medicine. Perhaps it was more due to the fact the my professor tried to link every single topic to some sort of medical device/procedure. But the applicability was logical, therefore, making it a more interesting class than physics I [which was without the medical ties drawn out], imo.

Doc of the Walk

Removed
Nov 9, 2010
Funkytown, Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Physics has definitely helped me, especially during the snow season. I remember I was sledding in my neighborhood and this guys car got stuck in the snow. Well he didn't have any kitty litter, so I explained that if all of his kids and I sat in the trunk, it would increase the normal force of his back tires and he should be able to get out of there...Et voi'la

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Physics has definitely helped me, especially during the snow season. I remember I was sledding in my neighborhood and this guys car got stuck in the snow. Well he didn't have any kitty litter, so I explained that if all of his kids and I sat in the trunk, it would increase the normal force of his back tires and he should be able to get out of there...Et voi'la
...or what velocity one's automobile must reach while leaving their garage in order to successfully make it up an icy (we'll call it frictionless) 25 degree incline, 10m in length.

;)