Finance/Consulting Internships for Pre-Med Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtinox

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I was wondering how a finance or consulting internship would look in terms of an application to med school? I'm currently a freshman at a target school for finance and there are a ton of those opportunities here, and I was particularly interested in some medical consulting businesses (working with physicians on a lot of more corporate problems). I currently have a research position that I'm planning on continuing throughout college, but I with an internship I won't be able to do summer research. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how this will factor into an application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all, I was wondering how a finance or consulting internship would look in terms of an application to med school? I'm currently a freshman at a target school for finance and there are a ton of those opportunities here, and I was particularly interested in some medical consulting businesses (working with physicians on a lot of more corporate problems). I currently have a research position that I'm planning on continuing throughout college, but I with an internship I won't be able to do summer research. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how this will factor into an application?

Are you asking specifically about how a finance internship will look, or non-medical stuff in general? I'm not an adcom so I can't speak to how much they like/dislike experiences in finance -- but the consensus is that non-medical things on your application are nice to have and show that you're a well-rounded person with interests outside of medicine too

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Even underwater basket weaving is fine as long as you have required ECs.

Are you asking specifically about how a finance internship will look, or non-medical stuff in general? I'm not an adcom so I can't speak to how much they like/dislike experiences in finance -- but the consensus is that non-medical things on your application are nice to have and show that you're a well-rounded person with interests outside of medicine too
Doesn't add anything positive for me.

The non-medical things I like are service to others, or things that are really interesting, like being in musical theater engaging in an uncommon sport like cricket. It's not career-type things, it more the hobby "what are you like as a human being?" things.

To follow up on the wise gyngyn's comment, do what you love and love what you do. Don't do things because you think it will be impressive to an Adcom.

Reactions: 1 users
Eventually, you'll have to come up with an answer for why you did it and what made you choose medicine as a career. Especially if your resume looks like it's targeted for McKinsey.