Finance major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo352

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been interested in Business in general, so I majored in Finance. As I am about to apply to schools, I am wondering if I can explain how to tie Finance with medicine. In other words, how can a Finance background benefit me in medicine? I have been thinking about this question for the past 3 years, but still can't come up with a good answer. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been interested in Business in general, so I majored in Finance. As I am about to apply to schools, I am wondering if I can explain how to tie Finance with medicine. In other words, how can a Finance background benefit me in medicine? I have been thinking about this question for the past 3 years, but still can't come up with a good answer. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

so you are a finance major that has taken all the pre med prerequisites? and if you are so interested in business why medical school? I don't necessarily understands what you mean by tying finance to medicine, i've know a lot of people who have majored in economics and then went to medical school but they didn't necessarily have to explain why majoring in economics benefitted them in medicine.

Of course having an advance understanding of the financial system, process and a thorough comprehension of economics may set you apart from other applicants in that you have diverse interests and other talents. Schools may be especially interested in you due to the financial fiasco that our economy is in and the problems that our health care system face: you will be a doctor with an understanding of the economy. Of course you may also opt for a M.D, M.B.A program, which might reinforce your "reason" for wanting to attend a particular school especially if the school has a strong M.D and a M.B.A program.

Something interesting that might be down the alley of what you are asking, one of my friends father holds a major position at a investment banking firm and he told me that they are particularly impressed with students with science majors: chemistry, physics, biology, due to their ability to cognitive process information and figure out solutions to problems: they like the way these science majors think and believe it to be compatible to the financial industry, and sometimes decide to hire them over finance majors. Although i don't know if its true vice versa, it is just something interested to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm a Finance major that took all the pre-med reqs. I knew I wanted to do medicine from my freshmen year, but I chose Finance as a major because I enjoy learning about business principles. I just want to somehow explain to ADCOMs how this business background of mine can benefit me as a future doctor.

I think you provided me some great insight I can build off of. Thanks!

Yeah man I'd say you are in a great position for a personal statement, i think a finance major could cook up something really interesting: depending on of course the level of your interest and participation in the financial community.

I'm in the financial society at my school and plan to double major in Economics and Biopscyhology(or Biology), and to be honest i am really interested in business: probably not as much as medicine but interested. I think especially if you apply to schools in major cities like NY: Columbia, NYU, Cornell, a strong interest in business may benefit your "reason" for wanting to go to that school: granted that interest in the business district has to be one of a supporting reason (a strong subordinating season nonetheless) and not the main reason.

If not, its just something that shows that you have diverse interests, and its always good to be knowledgeable about the economy and financial proceedings: especially because going to med school involves so much financial obstacles and processes. Consider this example: medical schools love maturity and someone 21 year old in complete control of his own financial security with maybe an investment portfolio shows ambition, maturity and intelligence.

Being in the financial club has also exposed me to many social academic scenes, where the ability for small talk, and been colloquial were just as important as being intelligent in order to succeed. I think i have become more confident and suave (lol) and am able to hold my ground much better in conversations about my future, the economy, and the world. Overall I think I have become more convincing and better at talking about the right things at the right time. This will undoubtedly help me in medical school interviews. Also the fact that in business you have to "deal" with people who often have "problems"(mostly financial) is in a way common but different with doctors who "deal" with people who also have problems (medical). If anything, business has taught me to become a more cogent, patient and amicable clinical candidate for medical school

Sorry to go on a rant here but finally, if you have ever been to an investment banking firm, or other financial firms: through an internship, shadowing or etc, you become aware that it is a such a high pressure job, and you have many people who depend on you and trust you with their money. The responsibility of being in the business district and the confidence that bankers need in their ability mimics the confidence and the responsibility of a physician. So you can in essence argue that business has made you realize that you strive in high pressure situations, and can take controlled risks and succeed.

I hope this helps!
Best of luck

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm a Finance major that took all the pre-med reqs. I knew I wanted to do medicine from my freshmen year, but I chose Finance as a major because I enjoy learning about business principles. I just want to somehow explain to ADCOMs how this business background of mine can benefit me as a future doctor.

I think you provided me some great insight I can build off of. Thanks!

Just tell them you're interested in investing as a hobby so you majored in it. Also, it gives you another career avenue. That seems like enough for me.

The field of finance considers how businesses raise, spend and invest capital; how individuals and firms allocate their resources among varying investment alternatives; and how financial markets function. Finance is all about creating value. Both individual investors and corporate managers try to identify investment opportunities in financial and real assets that will create value for themselves, or their firm's investors.

Why not tell them that you majored in finance because you aim to excel as a physician?

As you know, practicing sound business practices and controlling costs is becoming evermore essential due to rising health-sector costs and increasing reimbursement complexity. Additionally, managing risk to avoid catastrophic loss is essential. Your finance major is relevant in all of these areas and should serve you well. And most importantly, by controlling excessive costs through said sound business practices, one should come closer to achieving the precious flexibility to help the many many others who have limited means to pay.