Financial advice for aspiring pharmD mom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mom with kids trying to afford pharm school, HELP!

  • $1-$100/month

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $101-$500/month

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500-$1000/month

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    5

PharmTech89

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I have a question, I am a pharmacy tech student and an interested in becoming a pharmacist. I have am a straight A student with a constant 4.0 GPA. But my dilemma is that I am a mom with two kids and I'm worried about the student loans being too much and not leaving my husband and I enough room to still support our family. We can't move in with my family because there isn't a university with a pharmD program near them. How much are student loans payments really, and is there anything I can do to make school financially and time wise easier on me and my family?
 
Hello I have a question, I am a pharmacy tech student and an interested in becoming a pharmacist. I have am a straight A student with a constant 4.0 GPA. But my dilemma is that I am a mom with two kids and I'm worried about the student loans being too much and not leaving my husband and I enough room to still support our family. We can't move in with my family because there isn't a university with a pharmD program near them. How much are student loans payments really, and is there anything I can do to make school financially and time wise easier on me and my family?

Is there a state school where you live? Private schools are going to be significantly less reasonable.
 
You don't have to worry about paying back your student loans while in school. So it doesnt matter what your payment is. You only worry about that when you graduate and start making the big bucks and start paying back loans 6 months after graduation. Plus your payment will be a % of your total student loan debt. Look at the cost of attendance at several of the schools you want to apply to. Look at how much is budgeted for room, board, transportation, and personal expenses. That's what you are going to have to live off of during school. Hopefully your husband can work because it's usually not enough to support a family on.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with above but pharmacy school these days are expensive. The school should give you prices on the website or call to inquire. Usually cost of pharmacy school increases each pharmacy year. P4 is usually the most expensive year. Also if you haven't completed all the courses in Pre-pharm then you need to do some undergrad work. I graduated in 2010 and came out with 53k in loans to pay off. I had scholarships and I paid a lot of my tuition off in between. I was able to pay this off in 9 months living a cheap apartment as a single guy. However, being married with 2 kids is a whole new ball game. Lots of things need to be factored in
 
You don't have to worry about paying back your student loans while in school. So it doesnt matter what your payment is. You only worry about that when you graduate and start making the big bucks and start paying back loans 6 months after graduation. Plus your payment will be a % of your total student loan debt. Look at the cost of attendance at several of the schools you want to apply to. Look at how much is budgeted for room, board, transportation, and personal expenses. That's what you are going to have to live off of during school. Hopefully your husband can work because it's usually not enough to support a family on.
If you don't worry about this before attending school, how will you know if attending school is a good or poor financial decision? It's true that you don't usually have to make payments while in school (depends on the loan program), but you will be accumulating interest the entire time you're in school.

My advice when deciding if this is a good bet? Look at total cost of attendance for anywhere you want to go and determine how much you'll have to take in loans at any school. Plug your numbers and rates into a good online mortgage calculator (find one through Google) and estimate your eventual payments based on how long you plan to pay. Is it worth it? You'll know after this.

Don't count on paying off your student loans at a lower rate due to government promises. These can fall through. The government isn't likely to write your large student loan debts off. Only look at the agreements you sign on your loans as those are legally binding. You can bet you'll pay off every penny plus 6.8%+ interest on that amount.
 
The school I'm looking is Loma Linda which is an estimated 42,000 per year this includes books, fees, enrollment deposit, just didn't include housing but there off campus housing that we will be looking at is between 1050 -1300 per month, for a big enough place for our family. @radio frequency, to you have any suggested student loan calculators? Also what loan will allow me to pay 6 months after graduation and how do I apply for them? What do they take into consideration when applying for. Student loan?And where can I apply for scholarships??
 
Hey, PharmTech89. You're going to have to ask a lot of those questions to your school, but most federal loans give you a grace period after graduation before you need to start to pay. You apply for these by filling out the FAFSA for your school Loma Linda should provide you more information on that and on scholarships as well.

I don't have any suggested calculators; a mortgage calculator works well though as it can accommodate for the higher debt levels typically associated with programs like a PharmD. Just use Google and pick one; they should all be pretty good.
 
Hello I have a question, I am a pharmacy tech student and an interested in becoming a pharmacist. I have am a straight A student with a constant 4.0 GPA. But my dilemma is that I am a mom with two kids and I'm worried about the student loans being too much and not leaving my husband and I enough room to still support our family. We can't move in with my family because there isn't a university with a pharmD program near them. How much are student loans payments really, and is there anything I can do to make school financially and time wise easier on me and my family?
I would make sure what the job forecast is where you plan on living after school. The job market is not good and Is expected to get more saturated in the years to come. If you can't find a job will you have a fall back? These are serious concerns that must be taken into account before enrolling.
 
Hello I have a question, I am a pharmacy tech student and an interested in becoming a pharmacist. I have am a straight A student with a constant 4.0 GPA. But my dilemma is that I am a mom with two kids and I'm worried about the student loans being too much and not leaving my husband and I enough room to still support our family. We can't move in with my family because there isn't a university with a pharmD program near them. How much are student loans payments really, and is there anything I can do to make school financially and time wise easier on me and my family?

First, Congratulations and I wish you lots of luck.
Second, please know that you have friends around here. You are not alone, just keep asking questions and others will help.
Third, about this concern:
But my dilemma is that I am a mom with two kids and I'm worried about the student loans being too much and not leaving my husband and I enough room to still support our family. We can't move in with my family because there isn't a university with a pharmD program near them.
My help:
One good news: during pharmacy school, as ACTIVE STUDENT, you do not have to pay any part of student loan.

During pharmacy school, to support family and pay bills, borrow to the max AND spend very little AND keep the rest for rainy days in savings account. Why? Simple, must survive during pharmacy school, full of intense stress and shocking surprising bills.

I am picturing the worst case situation during school: NON-ACTIVE STUDENT: Sick because of intense stress of pharmacy school.

If you take 1 year off from pharmacy school because of sickness or not passing exams, I do not know what option you have for student loan. Anyone knows? Please share.

My friends went to school which tuition cost around 40000 a year just to have a seat as student. Max allowed for student to borrow was around 70000 a year to cover tuition and other expenses. With 2 kids, you can ask for more for hardship expenses like child care expenses and other reasons; be best friend with financial aid officer and you may get surprising helps. Anyone has any successful story that can help her borrow more to survive? Please share. Thank you in advance.


About this concern:
How much are student loans payments really, and is there anything I can do to make school financially and time wise easier on me and my family?

After graduation, you have these good options: I am picturing the worst case situation: No job or sick because of intense pharmacy school. Believe me, pharmacy school is like a marathon with "wall effect" near the end.

Forbearance: 1 year, you automatically qualify. No need for reason. This will buy you 1 year during the first year to look for job and save money. Even if you have a job, save that income for rainy days. Why? You will be a new pharmacist and you may not perform well and therefore, you may be out of a job as pharmacist and you still have to somehow cough about about 4000 dollars a month. Who's going to loan you around 4000 a month? Must save for that rainy days.

Deferment: 6 months a time, 6 times total. Must apply every 6 months. Possible reasons to qualify: Not enough working hours as full time worker. Not having job at all.

Once those options are gone: With 2 kids, you may very likely qualify for low monthly payment that ties with program called Income-Based-Repayment or Income-Contingency-Repayment.

When you begin to pick a program to pay student loan, student with kids and family must think in terms of survival. We always must have enough money just to cover the REQUIRED BILLS of this month. Therefore, we want to have REQUIRED PAYMENT as low as possible so we can simply afford that REQUIRED PAYMENT. After paying REQUIRED BILLS, what do we do with the rest of money? Save, save, save for rainy days or sicky days or no job days. Bills are still here even if we are sick. Therefore, the emphasis is: stretch out the loan as long as you can by picking the LOWEST REQUIRED LOAN PAYMENT, pick the plan that you have lowest payment. If we think in term of whole life of this loan, the total net interest will be higher AND you will survive to the end.
When you have enough CASH to cover 10 months of expenses. Then, to lower the net interest, we can pay 50 dollars more a month, 100 dollars more a month....

Simple math:
If you need to pay REQUIRED PAYMENTS as 4000 a month, then please must have 40000 dollars in saving. Then, you can think about paying EXTRA to shorten the loan and minimize interest. Think surviving. When I first started in life, I was so naive and made the mistake of paying EXTRA without having any money in savings account until one day I read a financial book and learned the lesson. Even now, when I read a lot of financial advises, I see very few sources emphasizing the importance of MUST HAVE ENOUGH CASH FOR SOME MONTHS before paying EXTRA.

So, in summary, in the near future, during pharmacy school, you will have loan around 70000 a year and you do not have to pay student loan during school. Also, during first month of school, you can apply for intern license (even if you do not know much) and your pay rate will be higher than technician, around 18 dollars an hour (Still please focus on studying and work only the hours that would not interfere with your new stressful environment.)

With that secrets shared with you, I hope your financial worries are less stressful and go out there and continue this road to be a good compassionate pharmacist.

To all other friends out there, if I wrote anything wrong, please correct me and if you have any other secrets to help her, please do share.
Thank you very much in advance.
 
I would make sure what the job forecast is where you plan on living after school. The job market is not good and Is expected to get more saturated in the years to come. If you can't find a job will you have a fall back? These are serious concerns that must be taken into account before enrolling.

Good reminder and please know that right now, when people discuss about not having pharmacist job, we forget to mention this:

If you are willing to go to any city in U.S.A.
and
If you are willing to work any shift in U.S.A.
and
If you have ACTIVE pharmacist license,
then, you WILL HAVE A PHARMACIST JOB.

If the pharmacist finds job with focus of "I must work to survive", pharmacist WILL HAVE a job and will have about 100000 dollars a year to pay bill. Then, with experiences and luck, we can move closer to home.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also what loan will allow me to pay 6 months after graduation and how do I apply for them? What do they take into consideration when applying for. Student loan?And where can I apply for scholarships??

Most loans I have seen allow us to have FIRST REQUIRED PAYMENT to be sent to them after 6 months after graduation. First payment is required after 6 months of graduation. They give us some time to find job. If no job, apply for deferment with reason: no job. Get 6 months of NO PAYMENT (interest will keep adding up, but, no required payments, no bill.)
 
Last edited:
Hopefully your husband can work because it's usually not enough to support a family on.

In case you did not know, to be pharmacy technician, your husband can study at home and take the test, total cost, around 200 dollars. Most pharmacy students I know are smart enough to pass the test in 7 days of studying (I heard of 1 night studying as well.) You are smart woman, I have confident your husband is smart as well. Once he passes, he can work at any state in America.
Together, you both will own a pharmacy in the future...😍 I may work for you, bosses :bow:
www.ptcb.org

For more details, please look around the this web site inside pharmacy forum for post with keyword ptcb.
500 thousands people did it !!! :highfive:

Good luck :prof:
 
First, Congratulations and I wish you lots of luck.
Second, please know that you have friends around here. You are not alone, just keep asking questions and others will help.
Third, about this concern:

My help:
One good news: during pharmacy school, as ACTIVE STUDENT, you do not have to pay any part of student loan.

During pharmacy school, to support family and pay bills, borrow to the max AND spend very little AND keep the rest for rainy days in savings account. Why? Simple, must survive during pharmacy school, full of intense stress and shocking surprising bills.

I am picturing the worst case situation during school: NON-ACTIVE STUDENT: Sick because of intense stress of pharmacy school.

If you take 1 year off from pharmacy school because of sickness or not passing exams, I do not know what option you have for student loan. Anyone knows? Please share.

My friends went to school which tuition cost around 40000 a year just to have a seat as student. Max allowed for student to borrow was around 70000 a year to cover tuition and other expenses. With 2 kids, you can ask for more for hardship expenses like child care expenses and other reasons; be best friend with financial aid officer and you may get surprising helps. Anyone has any successful story that can help her borrow more to survive? Please share. Thank you in advance.


About this concern:


After graduation, you have these good options: I am picturing the worst case situation: No job or sick because of intense pharmacy school. Believe me, pharmacy school is like a marathon with "wall effect" near the end.

Forbearance: 1 year, you automatically qualify. No need for reason. This will buy you 1 year during the first year to look for job and save money. Even if you have a job, save that income for rainy days. Why? You will be a new pharmacist and you may not perform well and therefore, you may be out of a job as pharmacist and you still have to somehow cough about about 4000 dollars a month. Who's going to loan you around 4000 a month? Must save for that rainy days.

Deferment: 6 months a time, 6 times total. Must apply every 6 months. Possible reasons to qualify: Not enough working hours as full time worker. Not having job at all.

Once those options are gone: With 2 kids, you may very likely qualify for low monthly payment that ties with program called Income-Based-Repayment or Income-Contingency-Repayment.

When you begin to pick a program to pay student loan, student with kids and family must think in terms of survival. We always must have enough money just to cover the REQUIRED BILLS of this month. Therefore, we want to have REQUIRED PAYMENT as low as possible so we can simply afford that REQUIRED PAYMENT. After paying REQUIRED BILLS, what do we do with the rest of money? Save, save, save for rainy days or sicky days or no job days. Bills are still here even if we are sick. Therefore, the emphasis is: stretch out the loan as long as you can by picking the LOWEST REQUIRED LOAN PAYMENT, pick the plan that you have lowest payment. If we think in term of whole life of this loan, the total net interest will be higher AND you will survive to the end.
When you have enough CASH to cover 10 months of expenses. Then, to lower the net interest, we can pay 50 dollars more a month, 100 dollars more a month....

Simple math:
If you need to pay REQUIRED PAYMENTS as 4000 a month, then please must have 40000 dollars in saving. Then, you can think about paying EXTRA to shorten the loan and minimize interest. Think surviving. When I first started in life, I was so naive and made the mistake of paying EXTRA without having any money in savings account until one day I read a financial book and learned the lesson. Even now, when I read a lot of financial advises, I see very few sources emphasizing the importance of MUST HAVE ENOUGH CASH FOR SOME MONTHS before paying EXTRA.

So, in summary, in the near future, during pharmacy school, you will have loan around 70000 a year and you do not have to pay student loan during school. Also, during first month of school, you can apply for intern license (even if you do not know much) and your pay rate will be higher than technician, around 18 dollars an hour (Still please focus on studying and work only the hours that would not interfere with your new stressful environment.)

With that secrets shared with you, I hope your financial worries are less stressful and go out there and continue this road to be a good compassionate pharmacist.

To all other friends out there, if I wrote anything wrong, please correct me and if you have any other secrets to help her, please do share.
Thank you very much in advance.

Not saying this post is wrong, but it goes against my, and many that post here's, financial mindset.

Borrow the max amount every year and put it into a rainy day fund? That's like giving money away. I say save up a rainy day fund right now before you apply to school, borrow the MINUMUM, and work part-time while you are in school. I know it's gonna be hard to do school, work, and raise children, but honestly that's the reality of it. Network while you are in school, do internships, try and differentiate yourself from the rest of the students who are only there because they want that 6 figure salary. Once again it will be hard, and you will have to put in the legwork, but that's how it is.

Also why do you recommend that this person maxes out there forbearance and deference periods? To build up a rainy day fund? How big do you think a rainy day fund needs to be? Once again I feel as if this advice is akin to giving money away. Save up enough to pay 6 months of bills (Ideally this should have already been done before entering pharmacy school), then start paying back loans. Maybe you do the 30 year plan. Maybe you do the 10 year plan. Maybe you do IBR. That's all up to you. I'm just saying I'm not a fan of letting the interest run while you accumulate a massive rainy day fund that you most likely won't be using.
 
I would make sure what the job forecast is where you plan on living after school. The job market is not good and Is expected to get more saturated in the years to come. If you can't find a job will you have a fall back? These are serious concerns that must be taken into account before enrolling.

She will graduate at least 4 years from now, and the market may be completely different then.
 
She will graduate at least 4 years from now, and the market may be completely different then.
Pharmacy moves at a very slow place. Regardless, the market isn't going to get significantly better in four years...sorry.
 
Here's a link to a student loan repayment calculator...
http://www.finaid.org/calculators/scripts/loanpayments.cgi
If you only take 42K/yr tuition and don't need to take money out for the rest of your bills...your pmt would be ROUGHLY (this takes into account compounding the interest once/yr)...
Loan Balance: $198,000.00
Adjusted Loan Balance: $198,000.00
Loan Interest Rate: 6.80%
Loan Fees: 0.00%
Loan Term: 10 years
Minimum Payment: $50.00
Monthly Loan Payment: $2,278.59
Number of Payments: 120
Cumulative Payments: $273,430.89
Total Interest Paid: $75,430.89
 
I'm married with 3 kids, but tuition isn't even close to the amounts you are talking about...about 15-16K/yr. My wife and I both work.
After "free" money about 10K/yr. For me it made financial sense, but I'll only graduate with about 20K in debt. Not sure if I would have gone for around 200K...only you can decide that...BUT I definitely wouldn't take out 70K/yr...that is SCARY! If you are like me w/kids and responsibilities, it is unlikely you will fall behind...too much to lose.
 
I'm married with 3 kids, but tuition isn't even close to the amounts you are talking about...about 15-16K/yr. My wife and I both work.
After "free" money about 10K/yr. For me it made financial sense, but I'll only graduate with about 20K in debt. Not sure if I would have gone for around 200K...only you can decide that...BUT I definitely wouldn't take out 70K/yr...that is SCARY! If you are like me w/kids and responsibilities, it is unlikely you will fall behind...too much to lose.
$15-16k/year? Where the heck do you live? The only area in the country I can think of with tuition this low is the Dakotas. Probably North Dakota.

I would definitely not take out $70k/year, but graduating with just $20k is super unrealistic for almost everybody outside of North Dakota. I'm way ahead of the game financially and graduating with just $20k would have been a major stretch for me.

For good measure, try to keep the debt under your starting year salary...or much lower, if possible.
 
Texas🙂
Every state school I looked at here is reasonable. All the ones I looked at were <20K/yr (straight tuition/fees)...and heck, who really buys books now(I think I've bought 3)? I know 20K total is unrealistic for most, but for many married couples who are not both students tuition minus scholarships is a realistic ending number.
 
Texas🙂
Every state school I looked at here is reasonable. All the ones I looked at were <20K/yr (straight tuition/fees)...and heck, who really buys books now(I think I've bought 3)? I know 20K total is unrealistic for most, but for many married couples who are not both students tuition minus scholarships is a realistic ending number.
I never thought I'd say this...but maybe I should move to Texas. 😉

I wish I could say scholarships were an option. I've received two, both from outside sources...and very low dollar amounts. $20k would be in my dreams...I thought I had it good before, but now I'm jealous.