financial aid for people with B.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

switchin2PharmD

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am new to the forums. I presently have a B.S. degree in Mol Bio and extensive research experience. I have been wanting to find a healthcare related career. I have applied to one pharmacy school already. I heard that having a bachelor's degree lowers your total financial aid. Have any of you Pharmacy students with bachelor's degree experienced this?
 
switchin2PharmD said:
I am new to the forums. I presently have a B.S. degree in Mol Bio and extensive research experience. I have been wanting to find a healthcare related career. I have applied to one pharmacy school already. I heard that having a bachelor's degree lowers your total financial aid. Have any of you Pharmacy students with bachelor's degree experienced this?

I think the only difference it would really make is that having a BS cause you to be automatically considered as an "independent" student. Not sure about that exactly though.

I think you'll still be eligible for just as much. You should call the school's FA office to be sure.
 
It depends on the Pharm school you decide to go to. Some consider first year's as undergrad and then you could be eligible for grants through FAFSA if you don't have a BS. But most schools enroll you as a professional (graduate) student and so whether you have a BS or not, you won't be eligible for grants and will have to rely on loans only.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
switchin2PharmD said:
Is the total loan amount available enough to pay for tuition, room and board, and food?
Yes, it's enough. I got the max I could get and it pays for everything. I think the max federal you can get is about 38K (don't quote me, I may be wrong) a year. You can get as many loans as you want, that's the easy part. Paying them back after school sucks though 😀
 
because you've already received your 4 years worth of financial aid grants, etc...you'll probably end up with loans.

and regarding loans, they don't usually cover everything....you'll probably have to take out another loan at your bank.
 
DrPharm said:
because you've already received your 4 years worth of financial aid grants, etc...you'll probably end up with loans.

and regarding loans, they don't usually cover everything....you'll probably have to take out another loan at your bank.

It depends on what school you are going to. If your school classifies you as an undergrad for your first 2 year then it's not likely that you will get enough to cover all expenses (tuition, books, living, etc). If your school classifies you as a graduate/professional student from the first year then you should get enough to pay for everything.
I have a bachelors and my school provided me with more than enough to pay for school and expenses.
 
emogrrrrl said:
If your school classifies you as an undergrad for your first 2 year then it's not likely that you will get enough to cover all expenses (tuition, books, living, etc).

If that's true, then I'm screwed this fall. 🙁
 
I have Stafford loans which cover my tuition and living expenses. If you have a degree, the government considers you a graduate student. This classification allows you to obtain more loan money. My school also has scholarships that you can apply for, if you have financial need.
 
Perhaps it has changed, but I never had any problems paying for everything with my govt loans. In fact, I had to turn money away because they kept wanting to give me more!
 
switchin2PharmD said:
I am new to the forums. I presently have a B.S. degree in Mol Bio and extensive research experience. I have been wanting to find a healthcare related career. I have applied to one pharmacy school already. I heard that having a bachelor's degree lowers your total financial aid. Have any of you Pharmacy students with bachelor's degree experienced this?

I am in that situation currently. The Pharmacy School I will be attending classifies each student, regardless of a previous B.S degree, as an undergraduate for the purposes of financial aid in your 1st and 2nd year. I found out that it is up to the school to determine the amount of financial aid awarded and in my situation, it is about 10K less than tuition. Sooooo, I am currently trying to research some external grant/scholarship/loan programs.