Financial Aid for UC Davis/UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanford_Playah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who submitted his/her FAFSA before the recommended deadline received a financial aid package from either school? Any idea how many scholarships are need-based vs. merit-based? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford_Playah said:
Has anyone who submitted his/her FAFSA before the recommended deadline received a financial aid package from either school? Any idea how many scholarships are need-based vs. merit-based? Thanks!

Hi SP,

Withdrew from UCSD so I don't know, but UCD has passed out some scholarships already.

This is the response to the scholarship inquiry that I made at UCD:

University of California Regents Scholarships are awarded to selected students based on academic excellence. The awards are not need-based and are renewable for a total of 4 years. In 2004/05 the scholarship amounts were $7,500. Other awards may include Chancellor’s Grants and the Herbert & Gladys Smith Scholarships. Students may also be selected to receive a one-time Alumni Association Scholarship that varies in amount and number of awards made.

Don't know about the Regents and Alumni, but some H&G have been passed out and the amt varies based on financial need up to $7500.

The Chancellor's grants come out w/ financial aid packages and are based on parental income, however the rest of your package is only based on your EFC.

They said that packages probably won't be out til after May 15th, but they were very accomodating when I told them that my decision would be made based on aid and that I would need an earlier estimate. Hope this helps.

The Regent Scholarship comes separately from financial aid package, and at least a few were sent out April 8th or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
since the uc schools are a little less pricey than some, what would you consider to be a decent financial package? i mean obviously it would be nice to get a full ride, but what do you consider to be the average, predictable need-based scholarship for a UC? do most students get at least something? and what are merit scholarships usally based on? GPA or MCAT or both?

wxl31 said:
Hi SP,

Withdrew from UCSD so I don't know, but UCD has passed out some scholarships already.

This is the response to the scholarship inquiry that I made at UCD:

University of California Regents Scholarships are awarded to selected students based on academic excellence. The awards are not need-based and are renewable for a total of 4 years. In 2004/05 the scholarship amounts were $7,500. Other awards may include Chancellor’s Grants and the Herbert & Gladys Smith Scholarships. Students may also be selected to receive a one-time Alumni Association Scholarship that varies in amount and number of awards made.

Don't know about the Regents and Alumni, but some H&G have been passed out and the amt varies based on financial need up to $7500.

The Chancellor's grants come out w/ financial aid packages and are based on parental income, however the rest of your package is only based on your EFC.

They said that packages probably won't be out til after May 15th, but they were very accomodating when I told them that my decision would be made based on aid and that I would need an earlier estimate. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info!