Financial aid Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what I need to do at the moment in order to apply for financial aid for medical school.

Do I need to renew my FASFA?
Are there any other things I need to do? (deadlines?)

I am absolutely clueless on the matter, and didn't even know what a FASFA was until a few weeks ago~
:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are accepted to med school(s) go to the schools' website and check for deadlines. Then fill out your FAFSA and submit it to each of the schools you are accepted to. They'll most likely send you some more paperwork to fill out, and probably will ask you to send in tax returns and W2's if you have any. Then they will verify everything and you should get an award letter from each school showing how much aid you recieved.

....I think :D

Thanks a million!!

So I don't have to do anything until I am accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a million!!

So I don't have to do anything until I am accepted?

You will need to fill out a FAFSA by March 1st. Thats the general deadline for all schools. So if you should probably go on and fill that out next year even if you don't have an acceptance yet. It doesn't cost anything, is required by all schools and there's no reason to wait on that one.

After that each school will tell you which forms you need to fill out and what their deadlines are.

And other than the FAFSA (which is a sort of "national deadline"-although lots of people do it late), schools don't expect you to make deadlines if you're not yet accepted.

For example, my schools deadlines are May 1st, but I wasn't accepted until late June. So they gave me my own deadline (eg. 2 weeks later) and I was still considered on time for the purposes of loans and free money.