Financial Aid question for incoming student

Started by ztaw15
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ztaw15

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I start orientation in a few weeks and I am wondering how long it takes after school starts before you usually get your aid $$$. Mainly I am wondering about having to pay for any books and insurance and stuff we have to have before getting aid money... Anyone have any insight into this in-between period?
 
So I start orientation in a few weeks and I am wondering how long it takes after school starts before you usually get your aid $$$. Mainly I am wondering about having to pay for any books and insurance and stuff we have to have before getting aid money... Anyone have any insight into this in-between period?

I dont know about others but at my school, you get your refund check at registration at the end of orientation and before classes start.
 
Your school should have some sort of financial aid calendar/handbook/etc., that lists the date of refund disbursements. My school lists our disbursements to be made on August 3 (first day of orientation) if that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My school list my disbursement date as July 25th... orientation starts on July 29th.
 
I believe most schools have disbursements around the first day of school if not before. You may have a bit of a lag period (week or two?) before getting your refund. Credit cards may be your friend in these situations. As long as you pay it off before the end of the month you should have no finance charges.
 
Yeah I just found out that we get refunds about two weeks after classes start, so I guess I wasn't aware that the "disbursement" and the "refund" were two separate things. Guess I will be using the C.C. pretty heavily.