Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrT16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm attending PT school this upcoming fall. I plan on taking the maximum amount for the Federal Direct Plus Loan but there will still be a GAP amount that i'll have to cover on my own.

For those who followed the same path and also took out a second loan to cover that GAP amount, which loan did you go with? Sallie Mae? Wells Fargo?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my question!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I'm attending PT school this upcoming fall. I plan on taking the maximum amount for the Federal Direct Plus Loan but there will still be a GAP amount that i'll have to cover on my own.

For those who followed the same path and also took out a second loan to cover that GAP amount, which loan did you go with? Sallie Mae? Wells Fargo?

Most people I know take out grad PLUS loans.

Reactions: 1 user
PLUS Loans here, and make sure you understand the difference between the PLUS loan and private loan benefits and disadvantages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does PLUS cover living expenses as well or just the remainder of tuition?

Most people I know take out grad PLUS loans.

Grad plus loan = direct plus loan...same thing...the "grad" just differentiates it from the parent plus loan that can be used by undergrads

Hi Everyone,

You should be getting $20,500 per school year in Direct Unsubsidized Loan and then up to the Estimated Cost of Attendance provided by your school in the form of Grad PLUS, correct? How big of a gap do you anticipate having? Is there anything you can do to cut down your living expenses to stay within the loan amount the fed will provide?

You should be getting $20,500 per school year in Direct Unsubsidized Loan and then up to the Estimated Cost of Attendance provided by your school in the form of Grad PLUS, correct? How big of a gap do you anticipate having? Is there anything you can do to cut down your living expenses to stay within the loan amount the fed will provide?

Right, I already knew about the DUL. The gap after that would be about $7000ish per year. Living expenses like rent, food, car, misc., etc I would cover by working. I just wanted to have all the tuition and fees covered by loans.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Grad plus loan = direct plus loan...same thing...the "grad" just differentiates it from the parent plus loan that can be used by undergrads

Selective reading.. as soon as I saw "Federal Direct" i filled it in with unsubsidized.

Right, I already knew about the DUL. The gap after that would be about $7000ish per year. Living expenses like rent, food, car, misc., etc I would cover by working. I just wanted to have all the tuition and fees covered by loans.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Grad plus should more than cover your tuition. Have you asked your financial aid office about this?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Grad plus should more than cover your tuition. Have you asked your financial aid office about this?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I was going to do that next. I just wanted to see what my fellow PT colleagues were doing first.