Financial Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zariman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The financial aid forms are due early February, but how can we completely fill it out if we haven't made a decision on which school to attend? I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools which may not contact me until mid to late February. Also, do we have to obtain a specific financial aid form from attending school or is there a general form for all schools?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

The financial aid forms are due early February, but how can we completely fill it out if we haven't made a decision on which school to attend? I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools which may not contact me until mid to late February. Also, do we have to obtain a specific financial aid form from attending school or is there a general form for all schools?

Thank you

If you're talking about the FAFSA, you can list up to 10 schools I believe. So put the schools you are interviewing for on there. As for the form, contact the schools.

Anyones program that begins in May? and they have to fill out a 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 form because the latter form begins for July 1st 2013 but you still need those two months of May and June aid. Little confused by this

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyones program that begins in May? and they have to fill out a 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 form because the latter form begins for July 1st 2013 but you still need those two months of May and June aid. Little confused by this

Really? I haven't heard of this. :/

How much financial aid can be given? $20,000? $40,000?, $60,000?

OP, do you mean financial aid forms are due in feb for the schools you are applying to or for fafsa? Because if for fafsa, can't you still apply close to the start of the dpt program?

Really? I haven't heard of this. :/

Yes, this is true. If you have to take Summer classes in May or June, then you have to fill out a fafsa for 2012-2013. The 2013-2014 fafsa is for July and afterwards. I talked to a financial aid person at a school I interviewed at and she stated all of that.

So for my case, where I just finished my undergrad degree in Dec. Will I have to fill out another 2012-2013 fafsa even though I already did for my undergrad? and then another for 13-14? (hypothetically if I started in May or June?

is there actual aid money(pell/tap) given for grad school or just loans?

is there actual aid money(pell/tap) given for grad school or just loans?

I'm pretty sure that for grad students the only thing available from the fafsa are loans, because we are now considered independent no matter if we still depend on parents or not. I think we are allowed max 20,500 which is a mix of subsidized/unsubsidized. I forget the name offhand, but there is a loan that will cover any other costs (grad plus loan?).

Even though we're considered "independent" do we still need put parents info on the Fafsa or do we just put our info?

As for aid we don't get grants we get $20500 for staffor and can take out the rest in GradPlus loans up to the universities estimated cost of attendance. The universities often exaggerate this number and from what I've seen most people take out much less.

no you don't put your parents info. Yeah I was referring to the stafford loans when I mentioned the 20,500 subsidized/unsubsidized. Pretty lame we can't get grants but oh well.

Even though we're considered "independent" do we still need put parents info on the Fafsa or do we just put our info?

As for aid we don't get grants we get $20500 for staffor and can take out the rest in GradPlus loans up to the universities estimated cost of attendance. The universities often exaggerate this number and from what I've seen most people take out much less.

When filling out the fafsa it states that you should put your parents info if you're going into a health care related field or if your school requires it. I put my parents info just to be on the safe side, so I wouldn't have to research if the programs I applied to requires it.

Members don't see this ad :)
When filling out the fafsa it states that you should put your parents info if you're going into a health care related field or if your school requires it. I put my parents info just to be on the safe side, so I wouldn't have to research if the programs I applied to requires it.

Really?? Hm everything I've read about it says you don't put your parents info, but it sounds as though you've already completed it? What a pain in the ass lol

OP, do you mean financial aid forms are due in feb for the schools you are applying to or for fafsa? Because if for fafsa, can't you still apply close to the start of the dpt program?

Oops, I meant the FAFSA. I think FAFSA deadline is early February, no?

Really?? Hm everything I've read about it says you don't put your parents info, but it sounds as though you've already completed it? What a pain in the ass lol

Hmm well I just went by what was on ths fafsa site. I didn't understand the point since their info wouldn't be factored in since we're technically "independent" but I did it just to be safe. And yes I already completed it. I try to knock it out as soon as possible. It's not that bad though since most of the info is saved if you've completed it before. It'll definitely be quicker if you don't put your parents info.

Oops, I meant the FAFSA. I think FAFSA deadline is early February, no?

No, the deadline for fafsa isn't until June. However, schools may have an earlier deadline.

Hmm well I just went by what was on ths fafsa site. I didn't understand the point since their info wouldn't be factored in since we're technically "independent" but I did it just to be safe. And yes I already completed it. I try to knock it out as soon as possible. It's not that bad though since most of the info is saved if you've completed it before. It'll definitely be quicker if you don't put your parents info.

yea I will probably put my parents info still if that's the case. As I understand it it doesn't really matter how late we submit it this year because we aren't eligible for the grants, which are basically first come first serve for those in need. Fin aid is so frustrating sometimes, especially when you are always "randomly" picked for verification.

You don't have to wait until your parents file. You can select the option on fafsa that says that they will file. If you select this option, fafsa tells you to use your parents info from the previous tax year to fill out the form. Once your parents file you can update the info on your fafsa.

i hear its best to take out all the loans that is offered to you due to the uncertainty of the economy and with loan rates. Does that idea really hold true? As of right now I plan to take all that is offered but I hope that it isn't a bad decision.

I was wondering this the other day but idk if it makes sense. Lets say I take out 50,000 in loans but I only end up spending 30,000. Then I have 20,000 from the loan that I can just repay so now I only owe 10k. So it's like taking the extra loan money to turn around and pay off a huge chunk of the loan. Does that even make sense/is it legal? lol

Steal from peter to pay paul? Its legal because it makes no sense because that money has interest accruing on it so your paying double interest.

If you take 50 spend 30 then pay back 20 you still owe 30 and you already gained interest on that extra 20 you didnt need....

Lol I figured that thought was too good to be true. Forgot about interest. Just my crazy mind wandering :laugh:

ur actually not crazy. I wouldnt do it for student loans but if you have credit card debts etc. then you can use that loan to pay off the credit card companies bc unlike credit companies u can at least deferred payments for student loans and not worry about the crazy interest rates those companies charge.

ur actually not crazy. I wouldnt do it for student loans but if you have credit card debts etc. then you can use that loan to pay off the credit card companies bc unlike credit companies u can at least deferred payments for student loans and not worry about the crazy interest rates those companies charge.

Yea I guess! I fortunately don't have to worry about credit cards though.