Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Financial aide question

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by laneyj34, Feb 26, 2007.

1. laneyj34

laneyj34 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Can anyone tell me how financial aide works?

I am wondering because I would like to get some extra money my first year to buy a car (I have no car right now)... not a very expensive one-- maybe 10k or so. Can you get extra money for something like that, bundled in with medical school loans? I have heard that banks love to give money to med students. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

2. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Moving this to the financial aid forums. To the OP I think this forum will also have the answer to many of your questions. Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TMP-SMX

TMP-SMX Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah banks love to give money to you at horrible rates if you don't have a good credit score. I do think that some schools offer emergency student loans for emergency car repairs. However, I don't think your situation meets that. I guess you could speak with the individual school and see if they will be generous and put it as part of your cost of attendance.