NewKidin2block

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2006
218
0
Status
Non-Student
I am applying for class of 2011, I am wondering do most medical student find it possible to live without money from their parents during their 4 years in medical school.
 

ablumoon

=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
186
1
34
Visit site
Status
NewKidin2block said:
I am applying for class of 2011, I am wondering do most medical student find it possible to live without money from their parents during their 4 years in medical school.
I'm fairly certain that most people who are in medical school have some financial assistance from their parents, unless they are married or have a lot of savings. Most medical school discourage students from getting a job during medical school, since being a student at a lot of schools is more than a part time job. If you're expecting no parent contribution, I'd work a lot in the upcoming year, and make sure when you apply, you let the schools know this. Financial aid offices are usually pretty good with being receptive to student concerns.
 

bob sacamano

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
20
0
Status
Medical Student
NewKidin2block said:
I am applying for class of 2011, I am wondering do most medical student find it possible to live without money from their parents during their 4 years in medical school.
assuming you don't mind taking out the loans, there's no need to worry about this during med school. there is also no need to work for any time before school to save up for the costs. plenty of people will be in the same situation as you. the school you attend will provide for you a student budget based on tuition, living expenses, books, etc. for example, my school's tuition is ~$40,000, but the student budget is ~$60,000, thus leaving you with $20,000 to pay for rent, food and books for the year. assuming you can live relatively simply, there is plenty of money to get by. if you're not getting any assistance from your parents, the entire student budget can be covered by loans/grants. i went straight through undergrad and now med school without any parental assistance and it's never been a problem financially. sure, i'll graduate with $200,000+ in loans to pay back, but for me that's just more motivation to work my tail off and make it worth my time and money.
 
About the Ads

xlithiumx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
368
34
Status
ablumoon said:
I'm fairly certain that most people who are in medical school have some financial assistance from their parents, unless they are married or have a lot of savings. Most medical school discourage students from getting a job during medical school, since being a student at a lot of schools is more than a part time job. If you're expecting no parent contribution, I'd work a lot in the upcoming year, and make sure when you apply, you let the schools know this. Financial aid offices are usually pretty good with being receptive to student concerns.
How are you fairly certain of this? You're not even in med school yet. The vast majority of my class is entirely financially independent. The school gives you plenty of loans to cover your cost of living.

Dave
MS2 U of Minnesota
 

CMar830

Southerner til 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2005
177
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yup, it's all loans. I'm going in with nada except my Stafford and Grad PLUS!
 

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
8,677
720
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
ablumoon said:
I'm fairly certain that most people who are in medical school have some financial assistance from their parents, unless they are married or have a lot of savings. Most medical school discourage students from getting a job during medical school, since being a student at a lot of schools is more than a part time job. If you're expecting no parent contribution, I'd work a lot in the upcoming year, and make sure when you apply, you let the schools know this. Financial aid offices are usually pretty good with being receptive to student concerns.
Yeah, that's a big fat NO on the parent front. And I would say that people receiving help from their parents are definitely in the minority.

I didn't find my fin aid office particularly helpful this year when my parents had over 1/3 of their income eaten up by some damage to their house. Despite the fact that my parents haven't helped me financially in 3 years, their income still has to count for institutional aid (not federal aid).

I love it when pre-meds try to answer questions about med school. It entertains me.
 

LJDHC05

Former Chicken Slayer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
891
3
36
Status
Medical Student
I didn't even bother putting my parent's information on the FAFSA. I find it kind of lame that as a 23 year old independently paying for med school, my parent's income has any effect on me.
 

DNM503

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2005
185
1
Status
It definitely should not be a problem. I made it through college without any help from my parents by having a few part-time jobs to pay for the stuff that grants/loans didn't cover. I had to live pretty frugally though a lot of the time. Anyway, I know the financial packages may differ at different schools, but my medical school is giving me enough grants/loans that I'll actually have WAY more expendable "income" than I did in college without having a job on the side. And if your school doesn't cover everything in their package, I hear it is pretty ridiculously easy for med students to get alternative loans.
 

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
2,794
10
Sunny California
Status
I think the only people that are financially screwed are med students that have bad credit and need to take out private loans. Some students can get hit with poor loan terms, or if the credit is bad enough, even miss out on getting private loans. Then its time to call the loan shark :laugh:
 

LJDHC05

Former Chicken Slayer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
891
3
36
Status
Medical Student
SanDiegoSOD said:
I think the only people that are financially screwed are med students that have bad credit and need to take out private loans. Some students can get hit with poor loan terms, or if the credit is bad enough, even miss out on getting private loans. Then its time to call the loan shark :laugh:
Or to sell a kidney on the black market
 
About the Ads