Financially and Emotionally Burned Out. Not sure what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CZDreaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'll try to keep this short and simple, but I really need some advice. I've been at my local state school for the past two years doing a Post Bacc to complete pre-med requirements. Well, after taking anatomy, calculus, and other classes I find myself with Gen Chem II and O Chem II left to take. Anyway..I have been using loans to pay off loans and now find myself in complete financial ruin. I have been trying to work as an ED Scribe at $10 and hour to make some extra cash, but working 15 hours a week for that money barely covers the cost of car payment + gas. I'm effectively in the red again with three months left in the semester.

I am enrolled in several classes this semester and just failed my first round of midterms after thinking that I knew the material really well. I am so stressed out because I need new tires and gas, etc. and I can't work more to make more money. I am completely burned out and can't keep working + volunteering + going to school full time. I'm very seriously considering dropping at least 2/5 classes to help me regain some sanity. But, I have 6 or so other W's on my transcript and I'm really afraid that all these W's are going to be a huge red flag.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Not really sure how to proceed from here short of failing out of school and destroying my decent GPA (3.6 overall, 3.8 post bacc).

Any advice will be most appreciated. :(

Members don't see this ad.

My only advice, worth what it costs you ($0.00) is to change what you can. If possible, downgrade (or eliminate) vehicles to avoid car payments. See if you can find a job as a home health aid doing overnights to increase work hours/exposure to health fields. Learn to study in smaller, intense chunks.

It is doable. I did college FT + 60 hour work week for 4 years to keep food on the table and a roof overhead.

This is where you have to change plans if you want to achieve goals.

My only advice, worth what it costs you ($0.00) is to change what you can. If possible, downgrade (or eliminate) vehicles to avoid car payments. See if you can find a job as a home health aid doing overnights to increase work hours/exposure to health fields. Learn to study in smaller, intense chunks.

It is doable. I did college FT + 60 hour work week for 4 years to keep food on the table and a roof overhead.

This is where you have to change plans if you want to achieve goals.

Wow, how did you manage to get good grades? When did you find time to study and sleep???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there. I notice your post was at 3 in the morning -- ouch. If you get some sleep, things *will* look better.

Re your classes: If you really thought you knew the material and still messed up your midterms, it's worth it to go see the professor(s). Not to complain, but to ask, what did I miss? What am I doing wrong? It would be a shame to withdraw from classes that you have (presumably) paid for, especially if you are financially stretched. I bet you can figure out a way to salvage at least some of those courses. Maybe you can get a little extra help -- is there a teaching assistant? Tackle one or two things head-on and you'll feel better than seeing the whole burden of all your difficulties at once..

Best of luck. You'll find a way.

I feel for you. I'm sorry you're going through troubles. Your financial situation sucks. I know this is going to sound cliche, but when you're all done with med school and residency and are an attending, you're going to look back and say, "dude, if I made it, anyone can." And that's just it. You will make it. My dad says that being a pre-med is like being pregnant: a large temporary pain in the rear! (or elsewhere! lol) It will end!

But seriously though, for what my advice is worth, even though you have many Ws on your transcripts, they are a whole lot better than Cs and Fs, so if you have an inckling that this semester will swear your great GPA, then drop a class or two. And just like dotdash said, make sure you see your professors with what you missed, especially given your good grade status in previous classes. Sometimes simply making THEM aware you care and you're on top of it will help. Dropping classes will add a W(s) on your transcript and force you to prolong your education, but it's better than getting a C and then beating yourself up for why you stayed in the class KNOWING that there was a potential of doing poorly. At that point, the damage is bigger because you've ruined your overall GPA and have a lot more to regret than simply taking a class later. This is also not to mention the fact that you will be able to breathe easier because you have smaller commitments and can dedicate more time to the classes you have at that point.

Just me 2 cents... All the best to you!

Thank you everyone for the feedback and support. I'm going to talk to some of my professors about my situation but I'm realizing that I may end up just withdrawing from my school altogether. I go to SF State and have not really enjoyed my time there. Now, with the terrible CA budget cuts it it tough to get classes and the school has virtually no money for anything. I am thinking I may actually just transfer to Portland State in Oregon and re-start the post bacc in the fall over there. I can use the next 6 months to make some money and start off in a better place...

I wish my gut feelings were stronger!