I am not sure if I can do this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kinera

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a mathematics major student who is working full-time in an insurance company for data processing (25 yo). It took a while but I realized that I wanted to do medicine and want to be a doctor but my path has been set for a while and I am afraid I can't do this. There are a few obstacles; my prerequisites are not satisfied, my major GPA is 3.9 but my overall GPA is 3.2. I haven't taken MCAT yet but I have been studying biology and chemistry on my own time.

I just got into a graduate program for biostatistics and I am interested but I am more interested in clinical medicine. I live in Seattle and I don't know where to start my path. To be honest, I just feel overwhelmed.

Any kind of guidance regarding the subject would be really appreciated or your story of how you became succeed through unconventional paths. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

1) make a list of prerequisites you need
2) find local community college that offers evening/weekend classes
3) finish your prereqs, study for mcat , pass it
4) set up a non clinical volunteering (even a few hours a week will add up)
5) clinical volunteering
6) shadowing
4,5, and 6 don’t have to all be at the same time .

I know it’s overwhelming.i was 28 when I decided to go to medical school ...I had a great job in finance and Military service .i matriculated at 33, and I regret nothing . Just take it one step at a time . Breathe . It will be ok .

Reactions: 5 users
I'm currently going through the process as well, and I agree that it is overwhelming. After reading through past posts, feeling this way seems normal. I recently almost gave up altogether, but after some self-reflection, the thought of living the rest of my life in regret really stung.

I agree with the above post, one step at a time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went through the same process. As the other posts said, it is overwhelming. If medicine is where your passion is then go for it. Don't get inside your head before you have given it a fair shot. It seems very daunting, but just remind yourself that you are doing your best. You are starting the process; you've got this! Good luck; I hope this was helpful!

I was 33 when I started my bachelor’s degree...you can do it! Try not to look at the whole mountain except in planning phase. Once you’ve got your plans set, just look at the step in front of you and go 100% towards that.

i read this somewhere... (definitely butchering the quote): "you will be 40 one day anyway. would you rather be a 40 year old doctor, or 40 year old something else?"

Reactions: 2 users
1) make a list of prerequisites you need
2) find local community college that offers evening/weekend classes
3) finish your prereqs, study for mcat , pass it
4) set up a non clinical volunteering (even a few hours a week will add up)
5) clinical volunteering
6) shadowing
4,5, and 6 don’t have to all be at the same time .

I know it’s overwhelming.i was 28 when I decided to go to medical school ...I had a great job in finance and Military service .i matriculated at 33, and I regret nothing . Just take it one step at a time . Breathe . It will be ok .

Thank you so much for the time you took to write this. Reading through those words just gave me serious reduction in stress. I shouldnt wait till I regret at the age of 40. I will take it one step at a time. Get the pre-reqs, get the knowledge to take the test, get medical experiences. I need to breathe and take it slow and steady.

@deophob

I do that daily..... it would be great if we could keep in contact so we can both support each other by checking up on each other on progresses. It sounds alot but it would help us if you'd like that.

@
jayt11231
thank you so much for the encouraging words. I will come back this post when I feel like I am looking too much ahead and getting overwhelmed.

@
pagingdoctormom

Thank you so much for the amazing words, especially the mountain part. I was getting too scared of the mountain and getting scared of getting on the trail. Thank you. Imagery is helping me see it in a way that is less daunting.

Thank you all. I will try to focus on the small steps and not get overwhelmed by the whole process. I just need to keep calm and breathe and take step by step that M&L listed. Everyone's experience as a non traditional student is amazing and it is making feel hopeful by the second. Thank you all.

Thank you so much for the time you took to write this. Reading through those words just gave me serious reduction in stress. I shouldnt wait till I regret at the age of 40. I will take it one step at a time. Get the pre-reqs, get the knowledge to take the test, get medical experiences. I need to breathe and take it slow and steady.

@deophob

I do that daily..... it would be great if we could keep in contact so we can both support each other by checking up on each other on progresses. It sounds alot but it would help us if you'd like that.

@
jayt11231
thank you so much for the encouraging words. I will come back this post when I feel like I am looking too much ahead and getting overwhelmed.

@
pagingdoctormom

Thank you so much for the amazing words, especially the mountain part. I was getting too scared of the mountain and getting scared of getting on the trail. Thank you. Imagery is helping me see it in a way that is less daunting.

Thank you all. I will try to focus on the small steps and not get overwhelmed by the whole process. I just need to keep calm and breathe and take step by step that M&L listed. Everyone's experience as a non traditional student is amazing and it is making feel hopeful by the second. Thank you all.
you are a mathematician. if you are anything like me (i was doing double major with math for a while and considered it as a backup career if medicine didnt work out) you think in terms of steps, numbers, patterns, and algorithms. Getting into medical school is not hard, as long as you follow the steps. So, write down those steps and simply go through them one by one. THats it!

Hello,

I am a mathematics major student who is working full-time in an insurance company for data processing (25 yo). It took a while but I realized that I wanted to do medicine and want to be a doctor but my path has been set for a while and I am afraid I can't do this. There are a few obstacles; my prerequisites are not satisfied, my major GPA is 3.9 but my overall GPA is 3.2. I haven't taken MCAT yet but I have been studying biology and chemistry on my own time.

I just got into a graduate program for biostatistics and I am interested but I am more interested in clinical medicine. I live in Seattle and I don't know where to start my path. To be honest, I just feel overwhelmed.

Any kind of guidance regarding the subject would be really appreciated or your story of how you became succeed through unconventional paths. Thank you for your time.
Read this:
  1. and this:
  2. Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
    ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624