Financing DIY Postbacc Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

retrofusion720

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope everyone are doing well.

I am hoping if anyone can shine on how were you able to pay postbacc classes.

I am planning to take a DIY Postbacc class and I found myself in a pickle trying to figure out how to pay those classes. In my local university, a science class cost about $2000 with grade credit. However, as a recent graduate from undergrad, single, independent, and broke, I will not be able to pay multiple classes which staggered my process in applying for medical school.

I do have a full time job, but that money are used to pay for rent, bills, and miscellaneous things and plus I don’t get pay enough to save. I have spoken to my DIY postbacc university and have explained about my situation and they gave me these options.

1) Pay out of my pocket… Straightforward, but I do not have that resource
2) Apply for an university grant, but that grant can only award up to $500 per class.
– However, the catch is that I cannot apply for federal loans through this university at the same time
3) Apply through FAFSA and get federal loans from the university
4) Private lender from banks

I am not too familiar about loans especially private loans, but I would like to give me your input on how did you pay your way during postbacc and if someone can, educate me about these options.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If the school gave you the option of taking out loans through FAFSA then do that. I would never take out a private loan unless it were a life or death situation (a little bit of an exaggeration, but not by much).

If you want to get federal loans you’ll need to be in some sort of degree granting program. So you’d probably need to declare a major for a bachelors and then just take the pre reqs you need and run. I know some people shy away from it, but I’ve done my pre reqs at a CC for 1/4 of the price of the local public universities. That could be an option for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Enroll for a second bachelors in bio, get federal student aid. No obligation to finish the degree if you manage to get into med school first - no more than anyone else is obligated to finish a college degree. If you need to reapply you can go on and finish it.

Reactions: 1 user
work a part time job, pay as you go for cheap at your local community college, crush your MCAT, take your secondary essays very seriously, and most schools will not care that you went to the community college for all your prereqs

Hello everyone, hope everyone are doing well.

I am hoping if anyone can shine on how were you able to pay postbacc classes.

I am planning to take a DIY Postbacc class and I found myself in a pickle trying to figure out how to pay those classes. In my local university, a science class cost about $2000 with grade credit. However, as a recent graduate from undergrad, single, independent, and broke, I will not be able to pay multiple classes which staggered my process in applying for medical school.

I do have a full time job, but that money are used to pay for rent, bills, and miscellaneous things and plus I don’t get pay enough to save. I have spoken to my DIY postbacc university and have explained about my situation and they gave me these options.

1) Pay out of my pocket… Straightforward, but I do not have that resource
2) Apply for an university grant, but that grant can only award up to $500 per class.
– However, the catch is that I cannot apply for federal loans through this university at the same time
3) Apply through FAFSA and get federal loans from the university
4) Private lender from banks

I am not too familiar about loans especially private loans, but I would like to give me your input on how did you pay your way during postbacc and if someone can, educate me about these options.

Thank you.

Apply for a second bachelor's or take the classes somewhere cheaper like a JC. This doesn't close very many doors.