Financing Graduate School/Average Loan Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CrazyPremed

Tearin' it up in the ICU
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Folks,

Thanks for all of the advice! I don't know if everyone can understand how much SDN has helped - and continues to help - many of us in our premedical journey. Thanks to everyone.
Anyway, for those of you that did go back and get graduate degrees/finish post-bacc programs, how did money factor into your decision. I want to pursue a science based MS as a back-up plan/enhancer to pursuing medical school, but I'm looking at an additional $30,000-$40,000. Has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
I'm just finishing up my MS and it cost me about 50k (I know, ouch!) But since I went to what's considered a low-rate undergrad, I wanted a big name school (not to mention that I liked their program), therefore I had no choice but to fork over the cash.

Some advice...make sure your finances are in order. I had good credit but I still needed a co-signer. Also, borrow as little as possible (common sense right?) I borrowed the full amount because I didn't want to stress about finances. This was my last shot to prove myself and I didn't want to f it up because I was worried about not having enough to eat. However, it should all pay off. Just think...if you add that 40k to the cost of 4yrs at a state med school, you'll be about even with what it would cost to attend a private med school.

Yes, I'm a little worried that this will come back to bite me in the butt, but you have to take a chance right?

Good luck!
Nina
 
nina512 said:
This was my last shot to prove myself and I didn't want to f it up because I was worried about not having enough to eat.
Yes, I'm a little worried that this will come back to bite me in the butt, but you have to take a chance right?

Good luck!
Nina

That's a good point. I'd hate to finish the classes, take the MCAT, go through all the trouble, and think "if I had only tried harder..." If I don't make it in - I'll be dissapointed and in more debt - but at least I'll know that I gave it my all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm around $45K in debt due to my master's program, but figured no matter what I'd get a job if I didn't make it to med school and pay it off eventually.