Finch Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessbless

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about Finch Medical School? Is it a good school?

Members don't see this ad.

a lower tier school.

Finch is an accredited U.S. medical school. Thus, relative to the rest of the world, it is VERY good. Relative to the other schools in the country...it's better than many of the osteopathic schools. Finch is very far from the city proper of Chicago. The area it is in is rather severely depressed and well, drab. Most clerkships do not take place on campus as there is no hospital officially associated with Finch. The clerkships take place at many different hospitals in Chicago. Finch has an extremely large class size of 180 and grades with letter grades. The tuition is some of, if not the, highest in the country. Their class also is one of the first to begin in the country. This should be of special note to applicants as once class has begun, you are no longer able to accept offers off waitlists. Finch would make a wonderful addition to your lower tier school applications and I highly recommend you include it.

Members don't see this ad :)
it was the only school that accepted me outright w/ no dumb waiting list! :D

It's a good school to add to anyone's application, since it's private and lower tiered.:)

Originally posted by none
Finch is an accredited U.S. medical school. Thus, relative to the rest of the world, it is VERY good. Relative to the other schools in the country...it's better than many of the osteopathic schools. Finch is very far from the city proper of Chicago. The area it is in is rather severely depressed and well, drab. Most clerkships do not take place on campus as there is no hospital officially associated with Finch. The clerkships take place at many different hospitals in Chicago. Finch has an extremely large class size of 180 and grades with letter grades. The tuition is some of, if not the, highest in the country. Their class also is one of the first to begin in the country. This should be of special note to applicants as once class has begun, you are no longer able to accept offers off waitlists. Finch would make a wonderful addition to your lower tier school applications and I highly recommend you include it.

ok, this really has turned me off from Finch. I applied because I heard it's lower tier andtends to accept those people with lower stats. :( any positive stuff about Finch???

Look...it's considered lower tier for a reason. But that doesn't matter at all if it is the only school you get in to! Apply to Finch.

this is taken from the 1998 edition of Princeton Review's Best Medical Schools:

Under Student Life, it says, "CMS students spend more time studying than nearly all of their counterparts at the schools we surveyed. This heavy workload leaves little free time, and students report that they very seldom socialize with classmates. And beware: If you are looking for an inspiring urban experience, visit first. Despite its name, North Chicago is not a neighborhood in the Windy City. Rather, it is a somewhat depressed suburb considerably north of the city, and students intensely dislike it. There is no on-campus housing."

Originally posted by dpy
this is taken from the 1998 edition of Princeton Review's Best Medical Schools:

Under Student Life, it says, "CMS students spend more time studying than nearly all of their counterparts at the schools we surveyed. This heavy workload leaves little free time, and students report that they very seldom socialize with classmates. And beware: If you are looking for an inspiring urban experience, visit first. Despite its name, North Chicago is not a neighborhood in the Windy City. Rather, it is a somewhat depressed suburb considerably north of the city, and students intensely dislike it. There is no on-campus housing."

Sounds rather dreary :(

I've heard that the low numbers there are deceiving because they take people in off of their Physiology masters program (backdoor, if youwill) and that lowers the overall stats. I applied there because I was uncertian about my application, but withdrew when I got in elsewhere. I'd say, hey, any med school is better than no med school, right? But if you really can't see yourself being happy, don't apply. Simple as that.

I think that it is probably not the ideal med school for many people, but would be great for some. It has letter grading-which inspires some people more. it is not IN Chicago for the first two years, but it is in a cheaper and safer area. The area just north of the school is rather depresssing, but just south I found a really nice upper class neighborhood.
The students I met were really happy with their school and clinical experience and were matching at really good programs. They also said they had a lot of support from faculty. I am sure I would have been happy there, however I declined my acceptance.
One thing I realyl did not like about CMS was that the clinical stuff really didnt seem to begin until 3rd year and the only nearby hospital was a VA. THey also dont have a main teaching hospital, rather afffiliations with many-which is good and bad. Good for variety and the ability to get you want out of your education, but bad because it requires you to make more informed decisions about where to do rotations.
:)