Find time to do research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot about how it is virtually impossible to find time to breathe in medical school due to the huge amount of work. My question is where do you find time to do research? I am asking this because I heard some residency programs require research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the person and your studying style - some people like to be at lecture - others avoid lecture - some need to spend a lot of time with the notes, while others less. I've been able to work about 20 hrs/wk in the first two years, but I never go to lecture.

What I would recommend is to get into school and see how it goes, see how much time you need - because to be honest what you needed to do to study as an undergrad has little relationship to what you'll need in med school. Then if you have time, go find some research, if not, do something over the summer between M1 and M2

I hear a lot about how it is virtually impossible to find time to breathe in medical school due to the huge amount of work. My question is where do you find time to do research? I am asking this because I heard some residency programs require research experience.
You have your first summer off. You can spend it on a beach, or saving the unwashed masses, or you can do research. Depending on your school, they may let you sign up for research electives in your 3rd and 4th years (2-6 week stints).

Beyond that, it depends on what your priorities are. Can you do part-time research in med school? Maybe if you bend space and time and don't ever sleep. Can you spend 5-10 hrs a week? It's doable if you schedule and manage your time well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools factor in research into the curriculum. I know Vandy has the Emphasis program that involves first years in research. Duke's curriculum features time after the third year to persue independent research. I also hear Emory's new curriculum will be somewhat similar to Duke in allowing time after third year to do independent work.

A ton of people do research over the summer after first year. Some manage to squeeze more in during the year, but it often comes at the expense of something else (sleep or social life perhaps). Then there is always the option of taking a year off during med school to do more research, which some do.

Most places will give you a stipend to do research over the summer and have you make a little poster or something. A few folks will get their stuff published.

Older students I know say that it turns out to be worthless, though, if it has nothing to do with your residency path. It's just a way to get some money over the summer.