Finding a job as a new graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elipscombs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to see if any new graduates are having a hard time finding a job as a Pharmacist? I have heard different things, some people saying it is hard to find a job as a new graduate....Any input?

Members don't see this ad.

They are right. I know a few people who are having a hard time right now because no company is looking for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail pharmacies are always hiring. It is harder to find a job if you are living in an area that has a pharmacy school nearby. I am a new graduate as well, many companies dont even want to look at your resume unless you are licensed as a pharmacist. I recently moved to So Cal, i went to an out of state pharm school, and there is about 3 pharmacy schools within a 60 mile radius. I havent heard back from any of the local places i have applied, but i have recieved 2 job offers with a starting salary of $60/hr, in a smaller town about 2 hrs south. One hospital pharmacy offer, one retail offer. I am gonna have to jump on one of these offers, as I have ran out of my pharmacy intern funds and am completly broke!

Retail pharmacies are always hiring. It is harder to find a job if you are living in an area that has a pharmacy school nearby. I am a new graduate as well, many companies dont even want to look at your resume unless you are licensed as a pharmacist. I recently moved to So Cal, i went to an out of state pharm school, and there is about 3 pharmacy schools within a 60 mile radius. I havent heard back from any of the local places i have applied, but i have recieved 2 job offers with a starting salary of $60/hr, in a smaller town about 2 hrs south. One hospital pharmacy offer, one retail offer. I am gonna have to jump on one of these offers, as I have ran out of my pharmacy intern funds and am completly broke!

If you're in so cal....2 hours south is san diego, and i hear it's fairly saturated out there. The only "small town" I can think of in the area are all in east county SD. I'm assuming you're in LA, because if you're any further south than LA, "2 hours south" puts you in Tijuana. There are different types of "pharmacists" there, if you know what I mean. :smuggrin:

If you're in so cal....2 hours south is san diego, and i hear it's fairly saturated out there. The only "small town" I can think of in the area are all in east county SD. I'm assuming you're in LA, because if you're any further south than LA, "2 hours south" puts you in Tijuana. There are different types of "pharmacists" there, if you know what I mean. :smuggrin:

With the horrendous traffic of LA, two hours south might as well be Orange County. :cool:

With the horrendous traffic of LA, two hours south might as well be Orange County. :cool:

This is correct, haha. But only a n00b will hit the 405 between the hours to 2pm and 7pm unless they really really have to.

I used to commute from the west side into OC, left at 8:30am...got to OC by 10am. I only hit traffic from about wilshire to LAX, then it's smooth sailing. By the time I hit garden grove/westminster/FV, that traffic is gone.

This is correct, haha. But only a n00b will hit the 405 between the hours to 2pm and 7pm unless they really really have to.

I used to commute from the west side into OC, left at 8:30am...got to OC by 10am. I only hit traffic from about wilshire to LAX, then it's smooth sailing. By the time I hit garden grove/westminster/FV, that traffic is gone.

What's a "n00b?"

:thumbup: for you. I am in Tennesse, and they r after us (new grad) for now, but 2 more schools just opened down town Nashville!!, so I know it won't always be like that.
My friend just moved to Houston, Tx. The poor girl, so used to be "in demand", we had like 2-3 written jobs offer each. Now, we actually feel lucky that she got a job interview with a retail company there and praying that she gets it. She was complaining yesterday how she has to put together a resume for the first time in years..we laughed about it..life is a bitch :D

they are right...my girlfriend hasnt heard or receive any calls back from any of the places she applied too. Temecula is not even guaranteed anymore.

I know a pharmacist that floated in the Temecula area for 6 months before finally getting a permanent store.

Yeah...Temecula not too long ago used to be guaranteed permanent store with big bonuses.

I know a pharmacist that floated in the Temecula area for 6 months before finally getting a permanent store.

6 months isn't bad.

But Temecula. Ugh. Hot as Vegas sometimes. Why bother.

TEMECULA? are you effing serious??

i think this just hit home that i need to get out of retail