Quantcast

Finding a job as an EMT/Working without a NREMT Cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guitardemon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
This summer I would like to find a job working as an EMTB but I'm having trouble finding places. I am looking for a place in the bay area(specifically the San Francisco, San Mateo, Burlingame area). I would like it to be a paying job but even working as a volunteer would be alright. Does anybody have any recommendations on finding a place?

Also I was told that you can work without a NREMT certification for a year or two, is this correct? I passed the EMT class in December and had trouble passing the test. Now with the new testing there are no testing centers near my university so i have to wait until summer to take the test again. Is it true that I can work without the NREMT cert?

jbar

Reaction score
To be an EMT you have to be certified, ie pass a test and be either a state certified EMT or NREMT. As far as I know taking a class isn't enough unless as part of passing the class you get a state cert. Where I worked in CO we had to be NREMT, though there are many agencies where it is enough to be an in state certified EMT.

As far as job huting goes, I would identify places you want to work, then call the non-emergency number for the local fire department and as who does EMS for them. Then call that agency. Worked for me

psychbender

Cynical Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should just need your state cert, as NREMT doesn't mean a whole lot (at least, in my state--VA). NREMT seems to just make it easier to transfer your cert between states. I worked for a few years as a Virginia EMT-B before going to an Intermediate class, becoming NREMT-I (tested National Registry, rather than our state test), and using that to get my VA EMT-I cert--just submitted my National Registry card and proof of VA residence. Most paramedics that I know of do the same (and if they aren't planning on leaving the state, let the National Registry expire), and I know of almost no NR Basics here.

Also check what the rules are regarding testing National Registry. I think there's something like a 6 month period after taking your state exam that you can take the National Registry exam without any additional requirements (X hours of CE, I think). Since you're past that, you'd need to fulfill those requirements to take the test (don't know if that's a state rule, or NR's rule).

Unlimited415

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You might be able to volunteer at Stanford or Peninsula Hospitals...but I think it would be extremely limited work. Nothing quite EMT'ish, even IF you did have your cert...