Finding a job as an EMT/Working without a NREMT Cert?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guitardemon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer I would like to find a job working as an EMTB but I'm having trouble finding places. I am looking for a place in the bay area(specifically the San Francisco, San Mateo, Burlingame area). I would like it to be a paying job but even working as a volunteer would be alright. Does anybody have any recommendations on finding a place?

Also I was told that you can work without a NREMT certification for a year or two, is this correct? I passed the EMT class in December and had trouble passing the test. Now with the new testing there are no testing centers near my university so i have to wait until summer to take the test again. Is it true that I can work without the NREMT cert?

Members don't see this ad.

To be an EMT you have to be certified, ie pass a test and be either a state certified EMT or NREMT. As far as I know taking a class isn't enough unless as part of passing the class you get a state cert. Where I worked in CO we had to be NREMT, though there are many agencies where it is enough to be an in state certified EMT.

As far as job huting goes, I would identify places you want to work, then call the non-emergency number for the local fire department and as who does EMS for them. Then call that agency. Worked for me

You should just need your state cert, as NREMT doesn't mean a whole lot (at least, in my state--VA). NREMT seems to just make it easier to transfer your cert between states. I worked for a few years as a Virginia EMT-B before going to an Intermediate class, becoming NREMT-I (tested National Registry, rather than our state test), and using that to get my VA EMT-I cert--just submitted my National Registry card and proof of VA residence. Most paramedics that I know of do the same (and if they aren't planning on leaving the state, let the National Registry expire), and I know of almost no NR Basics here.

Also check what the rules are regarding testing National Registry. I think there's something like a 6 month period after taking your state exam that you can take the National Registry exam without any additional requirements (X hours of CE, I think). Since you're past that, you'd need to fulfill those requirements to take the test (don't know if that's a state rule, or NR's rule).

You might be able to volunteer at Stanford or Peninsula Hospitals...but I think it would be extremely limited work. Nothing quite EMT'ish, even IF you did have your cert...