Finding a Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayaktj

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Day Everyone,

I am looking for advice on how Family Practice docs are finding positions. Are you just waiting for offers then flipping through them, are you reviewing and particular job boards, are you using recruiters like Merritt Hawkins? Appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the most common manner is that people find jobs in the areas where they trained. Next most common is to search in an area where one desires to live for non-work related social reasons. A much smaller group seems to run around the country chasing the highest salary. In my region at least, the skills and backgrounds of primary care providers who take highly paid positions (usually in less desirable organizations) are far from impressive.

Don't use a recruiter.

Go here: Search Physician Jobs in the PracticeLink Job Bank

Or simply use Google to search the medical practices, health systems, VA, etc in the geographic area of interest and on the websites navigate to their employment area. Or for the smaller practices, pick up the phone, call them, ask for their office manager, talk to the office manager, or get their email, and then send a friendly email with your CV attached.

Be proactive.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not a graduating resident this may not apply, but I've barely even started my program and they've reached out to us with a recruiter. The guy just wanted to introduce himself, make our class aware he can be used as a resource, and was actually quite helpful in establishing when and how much residents at our program are signing for as they progress. He also explained how headhunter recruiters will often contact you with "an exciting offer" while getting some of the details wrong or embellishing on them and then leave the moment they get their finder fee.

Reactions: 2 users
It depends on your priorities. What kind of job do you want: outpatient, employed, PP, hospitalist, UC, traditional practice.

Is there a specific location you want or are you flexible and if so how much (will you move anywhere or just big city/rural)?

I believe the most common manner is that people find jobs in the areas where they trained. Next most common is to search in an area where one desires to live for non-work related social reasons. A much smaller group seems to run around the country chasing the highest salary. In my region at least, the skills and backgrounds of primary care providers physicians who take highly paid positions (usually in less desirable organizations) are far from impressive.
FTFY

Reactions: 2 users
I’m not looking for "normal" outpatient FM jobs, but I still pretty much use google to search for jobs. I look at my city’s health department, and other organizations that are part of the sector I’m trying to join and just search on their job openings pages. I also use linkedin to search for organizations I’d be interested and jobs.
Recruiters have found me and are so annoying ugh.

Don't want to create another thread. Sorry OP for hijacking your thread.

Just got my unrestricted medical license (finishing PGY2 IM) :clap:and I would like to moonlight outside of my institution since there is no in-house moonlighting. However, one needs permission from the PD to engage in moonlighting. How should I go about that? Should I look for a moonlighting opportunity and then get the permission or should I do it the other way around? I feel like it will be harder for my PD to not allow me to moonlight if I already have the opportunity.

By the way, I am in good standing in my program...

Last edited:

Just got my unrestricted medical license (finishing PGY2 IM) :clap:and I would like to moonlight outside of my institution since there is no in-house moonlighting. However, one needs permission from the PD to engage in moonlighting. How should I go about that? Should I look for a moonlighting opportunity and then get the permission or should I do it the other way around? I feel like it will be harder for my PD to not allow me to moonlight if I already have the opportunity.

Is it uncommon for residents at your program to moonlight? If not, it should be an easy conversation. If so, I don’t think you need to have a signed moonlighting contract in hand but rather a specific idea of what you intend to do, how often you intend to do it, and how it will not impact your residency duty hours/studies. Emphasize gaining knowledge and experience as motivation for moonlighting rather than making money. Assuming the program permits moonlighting, that should be all you need to be given the go-ahead.

Is it uncommon for residents at your program to moonlight? If not, it should be an easy conversation. If so, I don’t think you need to have a signed moonlighting contract in hand but rather a specific idea of what you intend to do, how often you intend to do it, and how it will not impact your residency duty hours/studies. Emphasize gaining knowledge and experience as motivation for moonlighting rather than making money. Assuming the program permits moonlighting, that should be all you need to be given the go-ahead.
It's uncommon in my program. In fact, they discourage it and said residents did not do well on the board when moonlighting was allowed a few years back.

Get permission then apply

Reactions: 1 user
They will take a cut and that reduces your pay. They simply aren't needed. If you can get thru med school and residency you can do some google searches, and make some phone calls. A recruiter won't try to get you the best job, but a job that pays them well. This is one thing you can't, nor should out source.

They will take a cut and that reduces your pay. They simply aren't needed. If you can get thru med school and residency you can do some google searches, and make some phone calls. A recruiter won't try to get you the best job, but a job that pays them well. This is one thing you can't, nor should out source.
I guess it just depends on what recruiter you're working with, because I have heard nothing but great stories about recruiters placing in good positions.

I guess it just depends on what recruiter you're working with, because I have heard nothing but great stories about recruiters placing in good positions.
I have always used a recruiter. Some good jobs, some bad. There is always some untold evil that lies within administration in every job. The trick is finding that evil and deciding if you can tolerate admin. If you can do a job as locums to get the inside scoop first that can save a lot of headaches later. My current job has a lot of admin evil. My colleague was just fired without cause after 10 years for questioning the sanity of forcing virtual visits upon us in a busy urgent care. She was 2nd in production behind me. Suspect I am next when I head back to work. Bracing for it.

Good Day Everyone,

I am looking for advice on how Family Practice docs are finding positions. Are you just waiting for offers then flipping through them, are you reviewing and particular job boards, are you using recruiters like Merritt Hawkins? Appreciate the help.
Do you know where you want to practice? My attending at my program matched me up with a practice she thought I’d be happy at with a previous resident who had graduated several years before. I wanted rural medicine in the state we were in but wasn’t set on a location.