Finding Another LOR Writer At This Stage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblepop

Reaction score
Hello all, I asked all my letter writers March- early May and all my letters are in except for one science professor letter. My school does not recommend I ask about my letter until July so I had waited until July rolled around. I emailed the professor last week with a couple updates about my application and restating my appreciation and willingness to provide additional info. No response thus far and I am getting a bit worried, since my school will not write a committee letter until all letters are in.

Do you recommend that I try to find another letter writer at this point? If so, how should I approach this other professor? I want to be respectful and don't want it to seem like I had my other professor as a backup, but I think it's very obvious since I'd be asking late into the LOR process. I'd appreciate any tips on how to word my initial email/request. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. As long as you can trust the person writing the letter. Most willing writers understand how the process works. As long as you send them enough details/info they'll usually bs on your behalf. Try to help the writers who don't know what to say. As long as you don't get a bad or unenthusiastic letter you can ask anyone who checks the necessary box.

Try

Good morning Professor Kenobi,

My name is [blank] you may remember me from [blank] I realize this is a little out of the blue but I am applying to medical school and am having some trouble finding a letter because [blank] (NOT BECAUSE I'M A NOOB AND AM NOT PREPARED, think of a legit reason like I've been out of school for awhile or had an illness or moved or had a kid or my letter writer died...something you've been up to or happened to you). Would you be willing to write a letter reccomending me to medical school... blahblahblah I appologize for the short notice but help me obiwan kenobi you're my only hope obiwan kenobi.

best,

Bubblepop

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! As magical as it sounds, my original letter writer just emailed me to say that the letter has been submitted, so luckily I will not need to scramble!

Reactions: 1 users