-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Finding Jobs Online
Started by Sparda29
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
How's the job hunt going? Any leads?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So far I have gotten all of my job interviews off of indeed, but I'm really using all of those resources and several more.
Craigslist
In my experience - a waste of time.
Got to go press the flesh. Make real life connections with people that are influential.
Got to go press the flesh. Make real life connections with people that are influential.
I will second that indeed.com searches are a waste of time.
Rx Career Center is a good website for searching, but do NOT apply for a posting directly through the website, or you will never hear anything. Some of them have links to the official posting, but not all of them.
My suggestion: Rx Career Center is a good tool to find jobs, but make sure you find as direct of contact information as possible.
Rx Career Center is a good website for searching, but do NOT apply for a posting directly through the website, or you will never hear anything. Some of them have links to the official posting, but not all of them.
My suggestion: Rx Career Center is a good tool to find jobs, but make sure you find as direct of contact information as possible.
This happened to me outside of the pharmacy world, but it's worth repeating:In my experience - a waste of time.
Got to go press the flesh. Make real life connections with people that are influential.
I so badly wanted to work for this one large company. I'd interned there in college (in a different city), and hoped a position would open up (in my new city). I applied and applied, but never received any responses.
One day I was grabbing lunch at a deli, I saw a familiar looking man...I suddenly realized it was the CEO of the company I really wanted to work for. I introduced myself, mentioned my previous internship and how badly I wanted to work for his company. He took my number and I had interview offers the next day!
In person is the way to go! 👍 For the record, I have received jobs from online job postings, but much less often than when I had a personal connection or went to apply somewhere in person.
Don't forget www.usajobs.gov for the VA and FDA.
I will second that indeed.com searches are a waste of time.
Rx Career Center is a good website for searching, but do NOT apply for a posting directly through the website, or you will never hear anything. Some of them have links to the official posting, but not all of them.
My suggestion: Rx Career Center is a good tool to find jobs, but make sure you find as direct of contact information as possible.
The problem is when you start getting the run-around. You call the pharmacy department at the hospital, they tell you to call HR. You call HR, they tell you to call the director of pharmacy. You call the director, he says to call HR, then they tell you there are no openings.
I found the posting for my current position on Indeed.com. The trick with this is to use it as a screen for jobs. Some listings list the actual hospital...I used that to find who was hiring and then applied directly on the hospital's website.
This is what I did, too. Also, depending on the job/specialty that you're looking for, you may want to check out the career section of organizations like ACCP, SCCM, HOPA, etc.
Another way is using recruiters, but not necessarily apply to jobs directly through them. Scan the list of jobs that they offer, then usually from the location and types of job you can usually figure out which hospital it's at. Then apply directly on the hospital's website. 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personal referrals are best, obviously. But for those shooting in the dark in the online world, indeed is best for screening then use that to apply directly to the institution.
I'm sure you know at least a few pharmacists that are already practicing, even if your connections are 2nd/3rd degree, it may help get eyes on your application if someone mentions to the director about your pending application. Any type of askance reference beats a complete stranger (unless it's negative).
I'm sure you know at least a few pharmacists that are already practicing, even if your connections are 2nd/3rd degree, it may help get eyes on your application if someone mentions to the director about your pending application. Any type of askance reference beats a complete stranger (unless it's negative).
Want to work for cvs in bfe texas, sparda? If so, I can give you a dudes email...he was desperate like a year ago. Tyler, tx...2 hours outta dallas. They prolly think you're a terrorist, though.
No way in hell I'd let you within 300 miles of my store...sorry. Old Timer would kick me in the groin.
No way in hell I'd let you within 300 miles of my store...sorry. Old Timer would kick me in the groin.
Want to work for cvs in bfe texas, sparda? If so, I can give you a dudes email...he was desperate like a year ago. Tyler, tx...2 hours outta dallas. They prolly think you're a terrorist, though.
No way in hell I'd let you within 300 miles of my store...sorry. Old Timer would kick me in the groin.
Ya, the recruiter that came to my school said there were openings in certain areas around Dallas.
Tyler and Longview aren't bad. Its a part of Texas Pineywoods region with rolling hills. Minority population is fairly high with Hispanic farm workers. And of course good ole home bred Texas cowgirls in boots and short shorts.
And quick 2 hour drive to DFW.
I visited Dallas a couple of weeks ago. It was okay, but I didn't like how stretched out the area is. A car is a must in Dallas. I have the same issue with Los Angeles.
I visited Dallas a couple of weeks ago. It was okay, but I didn't like how stretched out the area is. A car is a must in Dallas. I have the same issue with Los Angeles.
Ain't no one asking you to come to dfw or LA. I'd say beggers can't be choosy.
