Finding moonlighting opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gpatankar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for advice. I am resident and I am having a hard time finding moonlighting opportunities in the Dallas area. My program doesn't have any opportunities internally.

How should I go about looking for moonlighting jobs? How did you guys find your moonlighting gigs?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: Ask senior residents where they did their moonlighting.

Then:
Dallas VA ED or Gen Med clinics though these are less available than years past.

Disability Clinics doing physicals - $80 a pop to deny fakers disability is satisfying I hear.

Prisons and Psych hospitals overseeing any medical issues that pop up - I hear this is easy but not not sure I could do it.

locumtenens.com has some available at times. also mdjobsite.com

Last edited:
Step 1: Ask senior residents where they did their moonlighting.

Then:
Dallas VA ED or Gen Med clinics though these are less available than years past.

Disability Clinics doing physicals - $80 a pop to deny fakers disability is satisfying I hear.
Prisons and Psych hospitals overseeing any medical issues that pop up - I hear this is easy but not not sure I could do it.

You heard wrong. Listening to the sob stories for 9 hours at a time is soul crushing.

You heard wrong. Listening to the sob stories for 9 hours at a time is soul crushing.
What do you think a full clinic day does to people? In your average residency clinic half of your patients are gong to be non-compliant in some capacity. They will tell you they take their medications everyday when their HbA1c has been 11 for a year while they have a new iPhone 5. That is also soul crushing.

I think the point they make is they feel like they are fighting back by actively rejecting the disability applications themselves rather than hearing "I am applying for disability right now" and knowing if they get it it's coming out of your check that you just worked 80 hrs that week for. I personally would not do it but if that's something you find therapeutic and you can get around $800-$1000 for a 8hr day then why not.

What do you think a full clinic day does to people? In your average residency clinic half of your patients are gong to be non-compliant in some capacity. They will tell you they take their medications everyday when their HbA1c has been 11 for a year while they have a new iPhone 5. That is also soul crushing.

I think the point they make is they feel like they are fighting back by actively rejecting the disability applications themselves rather than hearing "I am applying for disability right now" and knowing if they get it it's coming out of your check that you just worked 80 hrs that week for. I personally would not do it but if that's something you find therapeutic and you can get around $800-$1000 for a 8hr day then why not.

I'm a family resident, so I'm well aware of what an average clinic is like. I still find disability exams much worse.

Hey guys,

I am looking for advice. I am resident and I am having a hard time finding moonlighting opportunities in the Dallas area. My program doesn't have any opportunities internally.

How should I go about looking for moonlighting jobs? How did you guys find your moonlighting gigs?

Thanks for the help!

Medicare assessments, which pay between 100-140/assessment but you have to go to the patient's home, or physicals, which pay 800$/day and it's office based.

When I was a resident:

Urgent care evenings and weekends
Medical director of the Plasma Center - 4 hours a week
Took call for the Oncologist so he could leave town (they never called me)
Physical exams for a weight loss clinic

I know of a few online moonlighting opportunities for both residents and attendings that pay well with little time commitment. PM me for more info if interested.

Such as? I'm interested but you can't seem to be PM'ed.

anyone who has done a social security disability exam… what is your malpractice like? did you buy a package or did the company you are performing them with provide insurance?

anyone who has done a social security disability exam… what is your malpractice like? did you buy a package or did the company you are performing them with provide insurance?
Didn't have any. The patients had to sign a form saying that no doctor-patient relationship was formed in the encounter and if they had any acute issues they should seek immediate care prior to coming to the exam. Likewise if I found anything acutely worrisome, I sent them to the ER.

Didn't have any. The patients had to sign a form saying that no doctor-patient relationship was formed in the encounter and if they had any acute issues they should seek immediate care prior to coming to the exam. Likewise if I found anything acutely worrisome, I sent them to the ER.

You are still a practicing physician, even if you state you are not establishing a doctor-patient relationship, therefore you must have malpractice insurance. Furthermore, I can't imagine a residency program permitting external moonlighting without evidence of independent malpractice insurance.

You are still a practicing physician, even if you state you are not establishing a doctor-patient relationship, therefore you must have malpractice insurance. Furthermore, I can't imagine a residency program permitting external moonlighting without evidence of independent malpractice insurance.
Actually, in many states you are not required to carry malpractice insurance. Second, the residency didn't even ask me about malpractice coverage except to state that I wasn't covered under theirs. It might have been unwise, but its permitted.

Nice try though.

Why don't you look into where your paycheck goes and how money paid to the treasury is spent (which is where all taxes are paid social security, fed income, medicare, etc).

These degenerate diabetics who have the nerve to have an iphone in actuality pay their own checks in local and state taxes and extra fed witholding they encourage people to take in order to qualify.

I guess people should be barely eating their BMR in calories a day, with lab values u find valid, and wearing a potatoe sack and no more.

Anything above subsistence is undeserved apparently because no one should be allowed to enjoy their lives while you cant do the same right

Other peoples disability checks are not the yoke around your neck.

Your attendings and life chaps your ass but youre too chicken sh t to do anything, so lay proximal blame elsewhere. over people u have more education, money, and power than. Youre a champ

Reactions: 1 user
People act logically for their situation, past and present.

Trying to meet basic needs which include food, social acceptance/relevance, and sex. If they are on drugs, they take first place in order.

They learn how to obtain these things from caregivers and surroundings, as well as an army of marketing propaganda that begins before they can speak and no one is immune. especially doctors that accept they can prescribe "lipitor" or "atorvastatin" because generic names are purposely hard to pronounce, spell, or remember but the brand name couldnt be easier and people ravish office supplies with it written all over in case they forget or free samples.

You being completely impervious to these forces practicing medicine or in your personal life isnt happening, so judging others for succumbing is horribly hypocritical when you are the one on the job and gettting paid at the time

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help!

I know tons of residents who moonlight in DFW. And most of them moonlight at CareNow Urgent Care.

Probably best way is to just ask around to other residents who have done moonlighting and attendings who may know about opportunities.

One of our residents does some work at an urgent care clinic. I currently do nights at a long term care hospital handling codes/acute issues which is a pretty easy gig.

I've also heard of some free standing radiology centers having a physician on sight/on call for allergic reactions, weight loss clinic exams, etc... to name a few types of places to look around for.

nlax30, what LTAC are you working for? Do they need any additional physicians there? That is my ideal situation. Please PM me if you get a chance