Applying for medical license for moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentAnonymous001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a 2nd year resident applying for full independent licensure to moonlight next year. It is required that I complete 2 years of post-grad training for licensure in my state, so I am wondering how early does everyone apply (as I know it takes time for apps to process)?

One question on the app states "did you have any interruption(s) or extension(s) in your medical education?" and I took a LOA due to struggles adapting/mental health during my 1st year in med school but successfully completed school when I returned without issue. What should I put as the interrupted reason and it will it affect my ability to obtain a license?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I am a 2nd year resident applying for full independent licensure to moonlight next year. It is required that I complete 2 years of post-grad training for licensure in my state, so I am wondering how early does everyone apply (as I know it takes time for apps to process)?

One question on the app states "did you have any interruption(s) or extension(s) in your medical education?" and I took a LOA due to struggles adapting/mental health during my 1st year in med school but successfully completed school when I returned without issue. What should I put as the interrupted reason and it will it affect my ability to obtain a license?

Thank you!
It's always a good idea to apply for licensure as early as possible to allow ample time for processing and to avoid any potential delays. Most states allow residents to apply for licensure up to six months in advance of the anticipated start date of their moonlighting position.

In response to the question about interruptions or extensions in your medical education, it's important to be honest and transparent in your application. You can mention that you took a leave of absence (LOA) for personal reasons related to struggles adapting or mental health during your first year of medical school but successfully completed school when you returned without issue. This information may or may not affect your ability to obtain a license, as each state has its own licensing board and regulations. However, taking a LOA for personal reasons is not uncommon, and it is unlikely to automatically disqualify you from obtaining a license. It's always best to disclose any relevant information and provide additional details or documentation if requested by the licensing board.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not part of the licensing process, but I am part of the credentialing/privileging process, and I can tell you that this kind of LOA would barely raise a pale yellow flag on your application.

Be honest and you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not part of the licensing process, but I am part of the credentialing/privileging process, and I can tell you that this kind of LOA would barely raise a pale yellow flag on your application.

Be honest and you have nothing to worry about.
Why so much scrutiny for physicians?

I was RN and I dont remember there was any extensive application I had to fill out for licensure.

My school sent my name to the board stating that I successfully graduated. I took the licensing exam (NCLEX) and in less than 72 hrs my license was already online in the state website.

As a physician, my hospital is renewing my privilege in June and it is still bunch of BS papers that I still have to fill out. Why?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user